Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just wondering if anyone with an Is 250c is having a noise problem with the roof?? I have had my car a year and now it is starting to rattle and clunk with bumps and turns. Something seems to not be locking down tightly. Dealership says no fix for it yet. Just curious if any others are dealing with this or have a fix. Love the car a lot but this is way annoying!!!

Had a rattle in the car (is200) and what ever i did, hit apply pressure too i could'nt find what the hell it was till 2 days ago when due to it being sunny i opened the sun roof and it went away!

Found out that the wind deflector that pops up when the roofs open was banging when the roof was shut!

Old did of wiper blade rubber in the space did the trick..

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone with an Is 250c is having a noise problem with the roof?? I have had my car a year and now it is starting to rattle and clunk with bumps and turns. Something seems to not be locking down tightly. Dealership says no fix for it yet. Just curious if any others are dealing with this or have a fix. Love the car a lot but this is way annoying!!!

I have exactly the same problem with my year old 250C. Three times back to the dealer with no reason found but a number of modifications apparently done. The dealer reports that there have been no similar complaints, at least in Europe.

I have made a number of audio recordings of the noise which appears to be on the right hand side of the car and appears to be loudest around the side windows. Last visit to the dealer ended with them reporting that they could not hear the noise any longer so I am now ready to confront them with the audio CD's.

I am not sure that it is the roof latch mechanism. From the CD's I hear a very similar noise as the door locking mechanism latches when the speed rises.

Like you I could begin to like the car but I have been so disappointed with this my first Lexus that I have only done just over 3,000 miles in the year since new.

I have got a small roof rattle in the car I just picked up. It is booked in my local dealer under warranty. They have fixed a few of these in the past. I dont know what they did but I will find out of they fix it.

Yes, I have a metallic sounding rattle on rough road surfaces on the driver side, not in the roof but either pillar or rear door area. There is nothing in the vehicle rattling and thought perhaps it might be the seat belt mechanism inside the door pillar. have yet to tackle Lexus about this and if I have any result, will post. I am quite disappointed about this as well as annoying.

• 3 weeks later...

Lexus Guildford had the car for two days

They carried out component changes based on a Lexus technical bulletin

It took 10 hours to replace the various components

Result: marginal improvement at first drive

I will live with it for a while then take a view on whether or not to drop it back to them

• 2 weeks later...

Lexus Guildford had the car for two days

They carried out component changes based on a Lexus technical bulletin

It took 10 hours to replace the various components

Result: marginal improvement at first drive

I will live with it for a while then take a view on whether or not to drop it back to them

These (behind the driver) roof rattles are common in a lot of convertibles. I had one in my old Focus CC, although that was down to the dopey Italian builders not bolting part of the hydraulics together. I asked a Lexus dealer for a demo of a 250C recently, but he told me their car was in the workshop having a roof rattle sorted out. Obviously a fault then on some 250C's. If we had the 350C over here, the engine noise would drown out any rattles!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the described rattle / noise. However the very rear left side has an annoying squeak/rattle which sounds like plastic rubbing. Seems to be around the parcel shelf or left rollover cover. I will get it into Lexus in the next few weeks and advise.

You do expect some roof sounds with convertibles, but with a Lexus, you also expect a refined cabin experience.

Yes, I have a metallic sounding rattle on rough road surfaces on the driver side, not in the roof but either pillar or rear door area. There is nothing in the vehicle rattling and thought perhaps it might be the seat belt mechanism inside the door pillar. have yet to tackle Lexus about this and if I have any result, will post. I am quite disappointed about this as well as annoying.

:offtopic: thought this thread was for the IS250C? Anyway, as you've raised the issue I think you'll find the metallic sounding rattle you describe is the door rattling on the catch bar of the door lock. I had it on my IS250 SE-L, as did many others, and the easy cure is to wrap the catch bar on the central pillar with electrical insulation tape. Sounds a bit of a bodge but it does the trick.

I did adjust the door catch to give a firmer seal and although this also stopped the rattle the door panel line was compromised, so I readjusted and reverted back to the insulation tape fix.

• 1 month later...

Ok first let me apologise for not mentioning my rattle was for 250 sel. Secondly, sorry about the late reply but have now resolved the problem with the rattle. Lexus said they wanted to have the car for 2-3 days as they had other vehicles where they had to remove all the headlining.I wasn't particularly keen on this idea but would expect them to do a good job whatever I decided.

None of this was necessary though, as having got the missus to sit in the back and investigate, having feel around, she discovered the noise was coming from an area of roof lining next to the coat hook. When pressing, the noise stopped. I decided to remove the hook to investigate, which is quite easy, as with a torch you can see a small screw. Undo this and the hook pulls out. Behind this, I found a 'backing plate' which was really loose and would 'rattle'. This was probably the cause, as there did not appear to be any other loose components in this area that could be seen in this small hole. I replaced the hook and did the screw up as tightly as I could and found this seem to secure the backing plate from rattling. Hey presto, on test driving I found the rattling noise virtually inaudible (although my missus with her bionic hearing said she could still her it slightly). I'm sure Lexus could have done this themselves without the drama of removing all the headlining, seems a bit drastic to say the least.

Anyway, hope it helps anyone that may have the same problem.

• 3 months later...

Yes mine has a rather annoying rattle. Took it back to the dealer and they tightened something up and it seem to do the trick, however about 5 weeks later the noise was back. Called the dealer again and they wanted me to leave the car with them for at least 2 days as they said they would need to strip the roof down. Booked it to go in and then we got one of those rare sunny days, so put the roof down and when I put it back up the rattle had gone! Cancelled the appointment, but sure enough after a week or so the rattle was back again :(. Still deciding on what to do, take it back or just keep putting the roof up and down to resolve it for a while.

If i'd found this forum before I got the car, I'd have probably gone for a hard top instead, loved my old Lexus, this one has yet to grow on me.