Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi guys,new member here.hope you can give me some info on the ls400.

Im in the market for a big lump of a car to pull our caravan.

the car would be used purely for this reason and maybe a bit of weekend driving.

ive checked the weights and power of this model and it meets my requirements.

the question is really does any one have experience of using the ls400 as a tug

and is a towbar available.also would i have to fit an extra oil cooler.

thanks in advance people.

p.s great sight.russdbl6

the car would be used purely for this reason and maybe a bit of weekend driving.

p.s great sight.russdbl6

Hi and welcome

I have always used mine as a tow car without any problem except that with the rear overhang the lowest point of the bracket has been known to ground over humps.

I have had some serious weight on including a trailer with a complete Range Rover which was also full of other stuff for weighing-in.

The transmission cooler is an issue that has raised itself before. I have one. Under normal towing conditions it could be argued that its not necessary to have supplementary cooling. Consider the situation of queing uphill on a hot sunny day (the hill after the bottom of the M5, for instance) then the strain on the box in stop/start would, in my view, necessitate a cooler and they are alot cheaper than a new box.

I tow with mine, not sure what the maximum weight I've pulled is, but probably in the order of 1.5 tons. I don't have the supplementary oil cooler, although the "hot smell" I get after a long journey is suggesting I really ought to get one...

However, despite the lack of supplementary oil cooler, the car tows extremely well, and pulls hard when asked. Fuel economy takes a tumble if you're towing at 70+, but if you stick to 50-60mph then you'll not see much difference from normal driving.

I bought my towbar from TowEquipe, it's the removable ball type (not that I've ever removed it), and requires a small square cutting out of the bumper, and fitted it myself with my old man helping.

I tow with mine, not sure what the maximum weight I've pulled is, but probably in the order of 1.5 tons. I don't have the supplementary oil cooler, although the "hot smell" I get after a long journey is suggesting I really ought to get one...

However, despite the lack of supplementary oil cooler, the car tows extremely well, and pulls hard when asked. Fuel economy takes a tumble if you're towing at 70+, but if you stick to 50-60mph then you'll not see much difference from normal driving.

I bought my towbar from TowEquipe, it's the removable ball type (not that I've ever removed it), and requires a small square cutting out of the bumper, and fitted it myself with my old man helping.

Mine is a swan neck designed to fit without the need to cut the bumper, that might be why its a bit low. When I ran 827's, they had a removable panel in the bumber. Guess Lexus' weren't designed with towing in mind.

p.s great sight.russdbl6

I've been towing a 1.5 tonne caravan with an LS430 for two years now and it's the best tow car I've ever had, far better than any 4x4. (But I've not tried an RX.)

I've fitted a gearbox oil cooler, and I would recommend you fit one, if you are going to tow anything over a tonne on a regular basis.

See this link: - http://www.kenlowe.com/oil-coolers/automatic/automatic.html

John N

Tempted to say mine is available at £3750 with towbar and related cooler etc. was briefly used as tow car by previous owner to shift small trailer.

But then I may just keep enjoying it!

Chris in Bristol

• 1 month later...
I've been towing a 1.5 tonne caravan with an LS430 for two years now and it's the best tow car I've ever had, far better than any 4x4. (But I've not tried an RX.)

I've fitted a gearbox oil cooler, and I would recommend you fit one, if you are going to tow anything over a tonne on a regular basis.

See this link: - http://www.kenlowe.c.../automatic.html

John N

Can I ask which towbar you've had filtted please and a rouge idea on cost?? Also how much is the oil cooler for the auto box?

Many thanks in anticipation

• 2 weeks later...

See this link: - http://www.kenlowe.c.../automatic.html

John N

Can I ask which towbar you've had filtted please and a rouge idea on cost?? Also how much is the oil cooler for the auto box?

Many thanks in anticipation

After searching round for a while I bought a towbar from my Lexus dealer for £410, I think they are the only 'type approved' towbars you can get for the LS430. (it's a detachable one made by Brink, but they would not sell me one directly!)

The wiring kit cost £75 from my local towing shop.

Look on the Kenlowe web-site for their current prices or give them a call.

Everything was easy to fit, it just took time.

John N

• 4 weeks later...

tow a light caravan with mine (1.1tonnes) watling engineering towbar fitted by mobile fitter £300 all in. It's a great twcar you really don't notice the load on the back without going up very steep roads.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links