Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys!

At the beginning of this month, on a Saturday morning, the car (Mk4 98 LS400) failed to start exhibiting all the signs of a dead Battery. Called the RAC who jump started it and then tested it - apparently nothing wrong. Drove the car about 40 mls for the day with one stop (several hours) and it then restarted fine. Next morning same problem again and same solution and test results. Folllowing week took it to Lexus who checked Battery, alternator and starter and all checked out fine. Since then the car started fine until this past Saturday (hadn't driven on Friday - first no driving day since Lexus) and of course it failed to start (maybe wants a break at the weekend!) RAC out again, jump started and Battery tested fine! Went to Lexus and they were just ready to replace the Battery (under warranty) when they discovered they didn't have one so booked in for Wednesday! Just wondered if anyone has any ideas what else it might be. Thank you for any thoughts/suggestions.

By the by, I must note here that Lexus (Woodford) have so far proved as helpful as ever and no charges to date.

When was the battery last changed? Is it a sealed unit, or can you check the water levels?

Hi! I had Lexus replace (at £55 cheaper than anybody else) and install (£39! ouch) the Battery on November 2, 2009 and it will be replaced (under the warranty) by Lexus this Wednesday. What worries me is that this Battery has been tested by the RAC 3 times and they declared it to be fine and Lexus once and they arrived at the same conclusion. The RAC (all 3) thought the alternator was fine, also confirmed by Lexus. Lexus also tested the starter motor and declared it was fine. Lexus simply told me that they could not find the fault. Fact is that on all ocasions a jump start was successful and the last time it lasted from March 6 to March 19 being driven on a daily basis for relatively short distances: mostly 10-15 miles with a couple of round trips of 100 mls. During this period it just started beautifully as it should. After this morning's jump start I have again used for short trips and it seems to be fine.There are no running problems I am aware of(yes, it does sometimes creak when dry and hot and after replacing the Battery in one of the fobs it is only locking but will not unlock the car). As far as I can tell the Battery (Toyota branded) is a sealed one.

Was the Battery actually flat when you needed the jump starts, or could it be a dodgy connection?

If it's actually flat, and there's no apparent fault with the Battery or the alternator, then the only possibility is that something is draining the Battery overnight. Can you put a multimeter (in amp mode) between the Battery positive & feeder wire, when everything is turned off, to see if there's any significant drain? One thing... whatever you do don't try to start the car with the multimeter in place, you'll blow your multimeter to kingdom come!

Hi The Battery on my 1999 LS400 failed twice this week. Yesterday I called the AA who got it going - said all looked OK but he reckoned

the Battery could be the original - 11 years old!!! He wanted £125 for replacement so went to Lexus Edgeware Rd (London) who charged

me £59.75 after my 'GOLD' discount. So- Lexus are not always that expensive. Thanks to Leo at Lexus Edgeware Rd.

Hi The battery on my 1999 LS400 failed twice this week. Yesterday I called the AA who got it going - said all looked OK but he reckoned

the battery could be the original - 11 years old!!! He wanted £125 for replacement so went to Lexus Edgeware Rd (London) who charged

me £59.75 after my 'GOLD' discount. So- Lexus are not always that expensive. Thanks to Leo at Lexus Edgeware Rd.

Woodford Lexus very kindly replaced my Battery this morning (under the warranty hence no charge) and it now remains to be seen whether that was the problem or not ( I almost didn't make it to Lexus this morning - reluctant to start). Will let you all know how it goes.

It`s the Battery !

Mine Mk4 did the same thing. Battery tested ok but sometimes car would just not start. Replaced the battery with a new one from Lexus and all is fine.

Sadly, it's not! (in my case)

Battery was, as mentioned already, replaced yesterday by Lexus Woodford - thank you, yesterday. This morning I turned the key, the lights on and then they went out again and nothing! Tried it second time almost immediately and it started!? Have driven, stopped, turned off the engine and restarted again several times throughout the day with not a problem so it's that very first time that's important, but what is it? As mentioned Lexus spent several hours checking the 3 items (Battery, alternator and starter) and could find no fault.

It`s the Battery !

Mine Mk4 did the same thing. Battery tested ok but sometimes car would just not start. Replaced the battery with a new one from Lexus and all is fine.

Sadly, it's not! (in my case)

Battery was, as mentioned already, replaced yesterday by Lexus Woodford - thank you, yesterday. This morning I turned the key, the lights on and then they went out again and nothing! Tried it second time almost immediately and it started!? Have driven, stopped, turned off the engine and restarted again several times throughout the day with not a problem so it's that very first time that's important, but what is it? As mentioned Lexus spent several hours checking the 3 items (Battery, alternator and starter) and could find no fault.

An intermitent bad earth would explain it, try a jump lead between the batt. neg terminal and a solid bit of engine block

Battery was, as mentioned already, replaced yesterday by Lexus Woodford - thank you, yesterday. This morning I turned the key, the lights on and then they went out again and nothing! Tried it second time almost immediately and it started!? Have driven, stopped, turned off the engine and restarted again several times throughout the day with not a problem so it's that very first time that's important, but what is it? As mentioned Lexus spent several hours checking the 3 items (battery, alternator and starter) and could find no fault.

Sounds like the inhibitor switch on the gearbox; if it's not in Park (or Neutral, certainly on my Mk2, not sure about yours), the symptom is all the lights go out when you turn the key to "Start".

Yours sounds like it's a bit suspect. Next time it happens, try wiggling the gear selector a few times & see if you can fix it that way (erm, or break it totally of course...)

Battery was, as mentioned already, replaced yesterday by Lexus Woodford - thank you, yesterday. This morning I turned the key, the lights on and then they went out again and nothing! Tried it second time almost immediately and it started!? Have driven, stopped, turned off the engine and restarted again several times throughout the day with not a problem so it's that very first time that's important, but what is it? As mentioned Lexus spent several hours checking the 3 items (battery, alternator and starter) and could find no fault.

Sounds like the inhibitor switch on the gearbox; if it's not in Park (or Neutral, certainly on my Mk2, not sure about yours), the symptom is all the lights go out when you turn the key to "Start".

Yours sounds like it's a bit suspect. Next time it happens, try wiggling the gear selector a few times & see if you can fix it that way (erm, or break it totally of course...)

Had tried shifting gears originally but no joy. Had a word with James at Lexus Woodford and he thinks the starter motor has 'dead spots' which rather makes sense (sadly)... Will let you guys know how I get on.