Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dear all,

I have a question for all LS430 owners regarding the gearbox. When I slow down gently, just before I stop, there is a small jolt which feels like the gearbox grabbing first. I haven't had an auto before and would like to know if this is normal? I have already had a new box under the Lexus warranty and dont want to go back to tell them something is wrong if it isn't. What are other peoples experience on this? Can lightening strike twice?

I brought this car for its re-noun reliability, what are others experiences with their LS430's? Its just turning out to be a bit of a nightmare.

Chris

Dear all,

I have a question for all LS430 owners regarding the gearbox. When I slow down gently, just before I stop, there is a small jolt which feels like the gearbox grabbing first. I haven't had an auto before and would like to know if this is normal? I have already had a new box under the Lexus warranty and dont want to go back to tell them something is wrong if it isn't. What are other peoples experience on this? Can lightening strike twice?

I brought this car for its re-noun reliability, what are others experiences with their LS430's? Its just turning out to be a bit of a nightmare.

Chris

Hi Chris, and welcome. The auto box on my ageing LS400 is so seamless it's not always possible to know if its changed gear, I would assume it's the same with the 430. Intersting to know what 430 owners say but it doesn't sound right. What's the mileage and year?

Phil

Hi Phil,

The car is a 2001 and got 96k on the clock. The last time the gearbox was changed under warranty for a fault when cruising at 50. The kick down sent a judder through the car and the gearbox was replaced under warranty with a faulty sensor. Now the problem is at the other end of the range on the low end and is beginning to drive me crazy.

I have sat in a LS400 and been driven around for a few days and it feels just like the 430 I have. Magic carpet ride

Chris

Hi Phil,

The car is a 2001 and got 96k on the clock. The last time the gearbox was changed under warranty for a fault when cruising at 50. The kick down sent a judder through the car and the gearbox was replaced under warranty with a faulty sensor. Now the problem is at the other end of the range on the low end and is beginning to drive me crazy.

I have sat in a LS400 and been driven around for a few days and it feels just like the 430 I have. Magic carpet ride

Chris

I assume from what you say it's under warranty? If so take it back, if it doesn't feel right then it almost certainly isn't.

Phil

Dear all,

Chris

Chris

It's not normal.

I have a 2001 LS430 and have done 30,000 miles in two years, it now has 76,000 on the clock. The gearbox is very smooth with no jolts at all, often the only way you can tell it has changed gear is to watch the rev-counter.

Does the rev-counter jump up slightly when you feel the jolt? If it does it shows the gearbox is changing down.

Simple things first, have you checked the gearbox transmission fluid level? The dip stick for the gearbox is the one with the red handle, below the engine oil dipstick with the yellow handle. Check the level with the engine running in park. The garage may have under or over filled the gearbox when they changed it.

As far as reliability goes it's the best car I've ever had in 46 years motoring.

John N

Hi John,

I checked the transmission coolant, got the car up to running temperature and the level was perfect. Smelt fine as well, no burning aroma.

I took it to my local Lexus dealers and they seemed to agree that there was something wrong when the tech guy drove it. They plugged it into the diagnostics machine and couldn't find a thing. The dealers were a little hesitant to take it in a look at it and said give it a few more months and see how it goes. I can understand why as it has only just had a brand new box and torque converter 2 months ago and has a 12 month guarantee on it...Still I'm pretty sure its only going to get worse, when a problem starts it rarely heals itself. Time shall reveal all...

Has anyone else experienced any thing like this? I have managed to replicate it consistently when slowing to a stop after the car cruises at 40ish. It jolts around 20ish with knock the car, the severity of the jolt seems to vary. Were there any updated on the auto boxs on the 430? Could they have put the incorrect box on the car, it is shared with the GS or SC? Or maybe an ECU updates that might get rid of a problem? Any thoughts are welcome.

Chris

Hi John,

I checked the transmission coolant, got the car up to running temperature and the level was perfect. Smelt fine as well, no burning aroma.

I took it to my local Lexus dealers and they seemed to agree that there was something wrong when the tech guy drove it. They plugged it into the diagnostics machine and couldn't find a thing. The dealers were a little hesitant to take it in a look at it and said give it a few more months and see how it goes. I can understand why as it has only just had a brand new box and torque converter 2 months ago and has a 12 month guarantee on it...Still I'm pretty sure its only going to get worse, when a problem starts it rarely heals itself. Time shall reveal all...

Has anyone else experienced any thing like this? I have managed to replicate it consistently when slowing to a stop after the car cruises at 40ish. It jolts around 20ish with knock the car, the severity of the jolt seems to vary. Were there any updated on the auto boxs on the 430? Could they have put the incorrect box on the car, it is shared with the GS or SC? Or maybe an ECU updates that might get rid of a problem? Any thoughts are welcome.

Chris

If it was me I wouldn't be prepared to wait a few months. There's obviously something very wrong and its not going to get better. Is the car or just the transmission under warranty?

Phil

Chris, There is a small jolt with all large engined automatics that I have had. This seems to be (at a guess) the torque converter freeing itself against the braking right at the last minute. I am not sure whether you are talking about this or from another post, something happening at a higher speed. The jolt that you get at 2-5mph as the brakes overcome the drive, does seem to me to be something engineers should have 'cured' on luxury cars, as you cannot solve the issue by changing your driving style. Although having said that i did manage to get rid of it by knocking it into neutral at about 10mph, then applying the brakes. You wouldn't want to be doing that though every time you came to a stop.

Mike

If it's a jolt forwards , ie a surge , could possibly be an engine vaccum leak.

I've heard other people (here , or .com) have problems similar when using non toyota T-4 ATF , and have cured by replacing.

basicly , it shouldn't get better , as it should be right from the start. (if it did get better I'd be just as concerned still).

good luck , and give them hell! (by asking them nicely to fix it properly!!)