Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Do My Tyres Keep Deflating?

marcomck

Every month or so i go out and find one of my front tyres flat, I have 18inch alloys and last month the passenger side alloy was roasting hot one day, turned out to be stuck caliper, £189 pounds later it was fixed.

last night leaving work i looked to find drivers side wheel deflated, quick pump up and was fine until this morning I have notice both alloys are warm to the touch, when they shouldnt be.

what is going on with my is200? i really couldnt be doing with new caliper again.

sorry to sound condescending here but could it be that they just have punctures?

would that cause the alloys to be hot to touch?

jack up car and check for brakes binding if very hot .

There is normally some heat transfer to the wheels but not much.

If no punctures have wheels checked for corrosion, preventing tyre from sealing.

sorry to sound condescending here but could it be that they just have punctures?

would that cause the alloys to be hot to touch?

jack up car and check for brakes binding if very hot .

There is normally some heat transfer to the wheels but not much.

If no punctures have wheels checked for corrosion, preventing tyre from sealing.

Thanks i will try that

i found on one of my wheels that this was happening, every month or so i would have to top it up with air, had the tyre checked etc and it was fine, the problem was that the previous owner had the wheels refurbished but it was not a good job and there was a servere kink in the paint where it had corroded etc right across the inside of the rim and slowly but surley letting air out

If you mix up some washing up liquid and water in a cup to 50/50 and use a brush (minding not to scratch the finish) and "paint" it on the bead area including the valve if you've a leak you'll see the bubbles !,also make sure your valve caps are fitted,these protect the valve core,preventing leaks,HTH.

Sounds like the brakes are binding on which from what I hear is fairly common, happened to my Dads is200 last year but not on mine yet (touch wood). The heating and cooling (expansion / contraction) of the alloy can allow it to leak air.

cheers

new666uk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a similar problem with a slow leak in both rears. Turned out when I had the tyres fitted a bit of dirt had got in the bead & pitted it. Put a whole lot of bead sealer on & it's been grand ever since. We initially changed the valves which fixed one of the tyres. Can take a couple goes to find a slow leak.