Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,my 1995 LS400 came with just one key,and sods law says that when you only have one key you will lose it!!. It is the type that has no buttons on it as there is a separate remote 'blipper' that operates the central locking and I assume the immobiliser. The key seems to work in all the locks,does this make it the 'master' key?. Question is can I go to any old key cutter to get a copy or do I have to go to a Lexus dealer for one - the nearest one being thirty miles away. Recently heard a story of a Fiat dealer charging £600 for a key 'cos it had a transponder or something in it!!. Does my key have something in it to make the steering wheel do it's party trick when I put the key in the ignition or is that just a simple case of the key completing a circuit?. Thanks.

Hi,my 1995 LS400 came with just one key,and sods law says that when you only have one key you will lose it!!. It is the type that has no buttons on it as there is a separate remote 'blipper' that operates the central locking and I assume the immobiliser. The key seems to work in all the locks,does this make it the 'master' key?. Question is can I go to any old key cutter to get a copy or do I have to go to a Lexus dealer for one - the nearest one being thirty miles away. Recently heard a story of a Fiat dealer charging £600 for a key 'cos it had a transponder or something in it!!. Does my key have something in it to make the steering wheel do it's party trick when I put the key in the ignition or is that just a simple case of the key completing a circuit?. Thanks.

The key will most likely have a chip in it.

You'd probably could get a blank key on Fleabay and have the ecu programmed by a mobile locksmith.

I had to do this on a Nissan Maxima many moons ago and was sorted for under £100

I had a spare ten minutes so popped down to my local locksmith,and he cut one from a Toyota blank. Ten pounds changed hands and I came away a happy bunny. Works fine in all locks - result.

Result indeed. Nice one!

If I recall correctly when I asked about the remote fob that came with my car I was informed that the '95 model came with a Scorpion alarm as standard but NO chip in the key.

My 95 MkIII had at sometime in the past had this alarm removed but everything still works using the key. Had a couple of replacements cut for £12 at a local locksmith, and they both operate everything.

If I recall correctly when I asked about the remote fob that came with my car I was informed that the '95 model came with a Scorpion alarm as standard but NO chip in the key.

that's pretty handy :)