Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help.... My Engines Keeps Dying

hello,

Ive got a problem with my is200, last night it just cut out and wouldnt start (some reason Battery went flat). managed to get it home after having to keep jump starting it, as it would just cut out like the engines not idling properly and when i got going it seemed to cut out then pick up again then would be fine until i come to a stop.

Ive checked the Battery and reading 10-11v (is this too low for a 12v Battery?) and when managed to get it running it was reading 14v (only when reving gently once left to idle it goes back to 10-11v and dies). i did check the level on the Battery and it was a little low...could this be the cause? ive now topped back up to the right levels.

thanks

hello,

Ive got a problem with my is200, last night it just cut out and wouldnt start (some reason battery went flat). managed to get it home after having to keep jump starting it, as it would just cut out like the engines not idling properly and when i got going it seemed to cut out then pick up again then would be fine until i come to a stop.

Ive checked the battery and reading 10-11v (is this too low for a 12v battery?) and when managed to get it running it was reading 14v (only when reving gently once left to idle it goes back to 10-11v and dies). i did check the level on the battery and it was a little low...could this be the cause? ive now topped back up to the right levels.

thanks

You should be getting 12v without the engine running. Sounds like the Battery needs replacing to me. If it just needed charging then it would run fine once the engine was started.

i fort that but didnt know if 10-11v was acceptable due to volt drop due to age of Battery etc, when the cars ticking over/idling should the alternater be charging? as it only seems to be sending out 15v when reving...

this may seem like a silly idea but would having bigger wheels affect anything that would make my engine cut out/struggle to run? not sure if any sensors picking it up as a safety feature??? as this has only started since i changed my wheels over

Hi Bezza ; I'm sure the change to your wheels wont affect the running of the engine; My advice would be to buy a new Battery and when it is fitted get the alternator output checked to ensure the charging rate is OK .From what you have said it seems too low ,but it may just be a duff cell in the Battery affecting the charging rate . Once you have done this it may take a short time for the car to settle down to ' normal ' as having the Battery changed will reset the ECU .

Hope this helps

thanks for the advice folks, i didnt think the wheels would have any affect, just fort ill ask anyway as it happened after i changed my wheels :unsure: lol. just brought a new Battery and will be fitting it tonight, so fingers crossed itll be alright.