Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Am I Just Being Paranoid?

Hi Guys,

Been reading for a while, and registered the other day.

I'm not an owner yet and am looking for an LS400 as I've wanted one for ages.

Anyway, I said hello in new members area, and not a single hello! Have I done something wrong:/

Or is it because I haven't bought my LS yet?

You all seem such a friendly bunch I just wondered if I had made some kind of etiquette fopar? If I have, then I apologise.

Don't want to sound paranoid, just wanted to make sure I hadn't made a boo boo.

Cheers

Pete

Hi and welcome ............. go get your first LS, it's a wonderful piece of engineering and tremendous value for money with low cost entry and usually super reliabilty and low cost maintenance.

Good luck

Malc

Hi Malc,

Thanks for the welcome much appreciated :)

I am scouring auto trader, eBay etc as we speak and hopefully I'm only a matter of a week or so away now from getting one. I have been looking for ages but have had to be patient whilst I get the funds together, fingers crossed my old car will sell on eBay soon.

I had been considering the 7 series but prices are too high for what you are getting compared to the LS and after driving a mates LS a couple years ago I kinda got that voice in the head whispering "go on you know it makes sense, buy a lexus"

I don't agree with people who say they are bland or boring, I think they are a lovely looking car and the looks definitely keep growing on you. Fingers crossed for a good result on eBay as I really want one for our holiday to Cornwall in a month.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Guys,

Been reading for a while, and registered the other day.

I'm not an owner yet and am looking for an LS400 as I've wanted one for ages.

Anyway, I said hello in new members area, and not a single hello! Have I done something wrong:/

Or is it because I haven't bought my LS yet?

You all seem such a friendly bunch I just wondered if I had made some kind of etiquette fopar? If I have, then I apologise.

Don't want to sound paranoid, just wanted to make sure I hadn't made a boo boo.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

and welcome! Speaking for myself I must confess that I mostly look at the latest questions/answers/comments on the LS400 part of the forum. I certainly don't think that you did anything wrong and you wouldn't be the first to be looking at the LOC and asking questions before having a Lexus and I think that is a good idea since there is a great deal of knowledge and experience here that you can benefit from. I cannot claim either since I am a relative newbie myself. What I can say is that the LS400 is a wonderful car but you do need to be aware that the few repairs that you might need can be expensive - you can now buy an LS400 very reasonably but here are a few clues (the timing belt change will probably cost you about £400 and not at a Lexus dealer, good quality tyres about £100 per tyre and think about £80 to fill up the tank with petrol which will take me about 330 miles combined town & motorway). I have had a number of big cars (Lincoln, Cadillacs, etc.) and when new they just couldn't compete with the overall quality, ride, etc. of a 1998 LS400!

I am sure if you ask others can give you better advice/info and I wish you all the best in your search.

Hi Gen,

Thanks for the welcome and advice, much appreciated.

I'm quite lucky to not do a whole lot of miles at the moment and I also have a friend who owns a tyre company. With regards to cambelt, thats the one thing that worries me a bit and I'm hoping that I can get one thats had it done.

I have seen different info on cambelt change interval ranging from 60000 to 90000 so I will work on the 60000 figure to be safe. I understand that its a big job to do the cambelt yourself but is it actually hard or just time consuming? I saw a write up on lexsl.com but has anyone actually attempted it themselves and how did they find it, easy....hard....or never again!

Cheers

Pete

You say you have a budget of around a £1000?

That should get you a nice MKII or even a MKIII

It'a a matter of choice really.

Be sure to check when the timing belt has been changed, as this is costly and time consuming.

Also, the MKI ('89-'92) & the MKIII ('93-'94) have a non interference engine. Which means if the belt snaps(very very rare) you just get stranded with no damage to the engine.

The MKI & II have issues with the Dash lights failing and the climate control LCD blacking out. The MKIII has issues with the radio backlighting.

LCD'S FOR THE mkI & II are readily available (from me :) ). Th radio lighting on the mkIII is more complex.

They are all excellent cars really.

Another common issue is the power steering pump O-ring leaking. This pump is located right above the alternator, which can fry them.

Check the suspension for knocks and bangs

Good luck

Thanks Ruud,

There are a few on auto trader, ranging from 1990 to 1996 so will keep my eye on them. This is probably a daft question, but is the Mk III noticeably better than pre 94 cars and is there a way of checking for sure which model I'm looking at, as we all know reg dates are not always the best indicator of actual age? Even with just the one model range there is so much to learn which I'm kind of enjoying to be honest.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Ruud,

There are a few on auto trader, ranging from 1990 to 1996 so will keep my eye on them. This is probably a daft question, but is the Mk III noticeably better than pre 94 cars and is there a way of checking for sure which model I'm looking at, as we all know reg dates are not always the best indicator of actual age? Even with just the one model range there is so much to learn which I'm kind of enjoying to be honest.

Cheers

Pete

The mkIII is slightly more powerful 260 instead of 250bhp.

The center console is slightly modernised.

The CD changer is fitted in the lower glove box instead of in the boot.

The headlights are different.

Front bumper

And a few more exterior design features like the bonnet

Here a pic of my old MKIII

Picture003-1.jpg

And my mkII

PIC00030.jpg

Thanks again Ruud, that is very very useful to see to models side by side like that, there are quite a lot of visual clues that will help me. I don't suppose you have pics of the centre console differences on the two cars do you? Sorry to be cheeky, I just want to soak up as much information as I can so as to try and avoid pitfalls.

Is high mileage an issue in your opinion? I notice most don't seem to worry as long as its got a good service history.

Thank you so much for your info and advice, it really is very very helpful, Thanks

Cheers

Pete

Thanks again Ruud, that is very very useful to see to models side by side like that, there are quite a lot of visual clues that will help me. I don't suppose you have pics of the centre console differences on the two cars do you? Sorry to be cheeky, I just want to soak up as much information as I can so as to try and avoid pitfalls.

Is high mileage an issue in your opinion? I notice most don't seem to worry as long as its got a good service history.

Thank you so much for your info and advice, it really is very very helpful, Thanks

Cheers

Pete

MkII (ignore the phone)

PIC00037.jpg

MKIII

MKIII.jpg

High mileage isn't really an issue.

These engines are known tto go WELL over 300,000 miles

Brilliant thanks.

Looks like the MK III has dual climate and different gear selector lever gate.

I think my budget may restrict me to MKII but will try and find a MKIII if poss if people think that would be the better choice. The only draw back I can see is the cambelt possibly causing damage on the MKIII if it goes.

There are quite a few cars around 200000 miles around but if they are good for 300000 hopefully I will be ok.

Thanks again Ruud, much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

Hi and welcome to LOC.

I think the MKIII is a more modern looking car. It's simple things like the exhausts are not visible from the rear as they are tucked up under the bumper.

Isn't the gearbox different on a MKII and MKIII? When did the 5 speed aouto come in?

I do think, as in the case of Ruud's, they look great with the white lights on the front.

A couple of months ago, I tried to sell my '98 MKIV for £1500 ono and I was over run with people asking if it had stainless exhaust, cambelt change and suspension in good condition. Not sure about now, but it was definately a buyers market then. I have now been cured of my madness and decided not to sell the LS.

Go get one, you'll love it. Before this I used to always drive 7 series BMW's and the like and never thought any car could touch the 7...Well the LS blows it out of the water, and mine has 215,000 on the clock.

Thanks

Mike

Hi again Pete,

There is a very nice black one on Fleabay just now with average miles (151k)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-P-REG-LEXUS-LS400-4-0-V8-32V-AUTO-4-DR-BLACK-/250799566168?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a64d1ad58

Seems to be a 1 day listing soprobably not too many watchers....

You might get it for a bargain price

I don't think the timing belt is mentioned in the description, but you could always fire off some questions.

Not sure how close/far this car is from where you are though..

---------------

For Mike.

I believe the 5-speed box was introduced for the MKIV

Hi Ruud, thanks for the link, not noticed that one before.

Its about 30 miles from me and I asked about the cambelt just in case i can raise cash in time to bid.

Thanks for the welcome Mike, I'm looking forward to owning one just need to sell my old bus first but there are plenty of watchers on her so fingers crossed a couple of them will bid.

Cheers

Pete

Dont be paranoid , It's just not the most active forum section in the world.

Mostly I guess as things dont go wrong.

Paid £2000 for my '98 LS about 16 months ago. was in a hurry as had been relegated to an Astra :( .

If you have lots of patients I'm pretty sure you could get a mk4 for your 1k.

though a mint/showroom mk1 would be awesome i guess :).

only other thing nobodys mentioned is make sure your LS doesnt suffer any engine stalling.

test it with a long run and slow stopping. usualy bunged up throttle body , but 95/96 model could mean ecu rebuild.

Hi Beavis, thanks for the welcome.

Can you explain what you mean by slow stopping? Do you mean very gentle breaking? From what sort of speed do you recommend?

Hello Pete and welcome. Like others who've replied to your post, I don't look at the new members section on here - sorry to have ignored you till now. I joined the LOC in order to get advice about buying an LS400 and was struck by the friendliness and helpfulness of people on this site, so continue to log in regularly even though I don't have problems with the car (at the moment).

One point that other members haven't raised: the Mk.III is the same length as the Mk.II but has a longer wheelbase, which means more space in the back but a smaller boot (in case that matters to you). Prices seem to have dropped a bit recently, despite some people still asking silly money for their cars (which remain unsold), so I should have thought you'd find a decent Mk.II or III for £1000 - at that price I'd buy on condition (particularly maintenance history) rather than age or model, or even mileage. Mine's 13 years old and has done 141,000, but feels as if you could knock off 10 years and 100,000 miles.

Good luck with your search and let us know how you get on.

Hi Gen,

I'm quite lucky to not do a whole lot of miles at the moment and I also have a friend who owns a tyre company. With regards to cambelt, thats the one thing that worries me a bit and I'm hoping that I can get one thats had it done.

I have seen different info on cambelt change interval ranging from 60000 to 90000 so I will work on the 60000 figure to be safe. I understand that its a big job to do the cambelt yourself but is it actually hard or just time consuming? I saw a write up on lexsl.com but has anyone actually attempted it themselves and how did they find it, easy....hard....or never again!

Cheers

Pete

Hi Gen,

Cheers

Pete

Try again!

Hi Pete, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I seem to remember reading that the LS made between 93 & 94 were the most reliable of them all.

Thanks for the welcomes, I have been reading so much over the last few days, my eyes hurt :duh:

Got one in my sights at the moment but hope it doesnt go much higher or her indoors will kill me! :whistling: