Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Faint Crackling Noise On Warmup When Tapping Accelerator

smokeybaz

Hey chaps, was hoping to get some advice on a problem I have. A month ago or so this started randomly, when I started the car and let it warm up for a few minutes, I gave the accelerator a few light taps and noticed a faint crackling noise, and then went away as quickly as it had started, thought nothing of it until it has happened a few more times since, including today so I took a video before the noise went away again. This might be nothing, or something simple so apologies if im being stupid lol.

Hey chaps, was hoping to get some advice on a problem I have. A month ago or so this started randomly, when I started the car and let it warm up for a few minutes, I gave the accelerator a few light taps and noticed a faint crackling noise, and then went away as quickly as it had started, thought nothing of it until it has happened a few more times since, including today so I took a video before the noise went away again. This might be nothing, or something simple so apologies if im being stupid lol.

Id check your coolant levels first, maybe they are low. Failing that, have you had your timing belt replaced recently, could be an issue with timing.......posssibly.

Id check your coolant levels first, maybe they are low. Failing that, have you had your timing belt replaced recently, could be an issue with timing.......posssibly.

ill double check that, when i bought it the previous owner said he had got the timing belt changed but had lost the reciept, the car was clean so i took his word and when i got it back home i checked it myself and the belt looked new, no cracks, no wear, and it was sitting perfectly centered so think thats all good. its due a service here so dont know but would the spark plugs be an issue if they were needing replaced???

Dunno to be sure but I think it would be more or a clicking noise if it were the plugs.

I actually went to look at a silver IS in carrick before i got mine that did this. Started her up and heard the noise when i revved the engine, so I walked away from it as i was worried it could be valve damage or something! Id just get her serviced if I were you and take it from there.

Im no mechanic so maybe one of the more experienced members can give their opinion???

Dunno to be sure but I think it would be more or a clicking noise if it were the plugs.

I actually went to look at a silver IS in carrick before i got mine that did this. Started her up and heard the noise when i revved the engine, so I walked away from it as i was worried it could be valve damage or something! Id just get her serviced if I were you and take it from there.

Im no mechanic so maybe one of the more experienced members can give their opinion???

well she's due a service anyways and today i got her booked in for next week, so hopefully all it needs is a bit of tlc, one guy i spoke to said it may be a worn belt tensioner, but i aint a mechanic either lol, well she is going in for full service and ill enquire about this problem at the time and hopefully get her sorted, your in ni fella, you hittin this jap show in the summer at junction one, i cant wait lol, missed it last year, heard its good

• 2 weeks later...

well the problem seemed to be the last mechanic used the wrong oil, twas thick and gloopy, it was due an oil change but should not have been this thick, anyways she is running nice and smooth with no wierd noises B) (with the right oil in lol)

I am glad you have managed to resolve your issue mate but I thought I'd just say for reference of anyone viewing this topic with a simular issue, check your coolent level - I had this and it was low coolent and the cracking noise was an air lock due to this.

Daz