Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Piston Rings Changed

plab378

Hi all

I as many people on have suffered with poor Fuel economy with my IS220d. This last time lexus had my car for a week.

They returned the car and advised it was fixed. But when driving it my fuel economy was worse. SO I called the Dealer and thay advised me that I would need to run the car in for a 1000 miles as it has had the Piston rings changed and the engine de-coked. My car is 56 plate with about 47000 on clock. I don't know much about engines so can anyone advise if the engine would need a run in or not.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Lexus dealers are trained by LEXUS not to tell the truth about the is220d and the poor piston rings in an attempt to avoid a very costly recall (penny wise and pound foolish) very soon they will have to make this recall with an embarrassing apology in eu this time

Some shocking documents will soon be available so stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...

ihave just bought a 38k is220d. Within 10days i have had the bottom end replaced. carboned up/ lack of power... the car is now doing after 4days 30mpg. Was advised i didnt need to run it in!!!!crap fuelconsumption.Not a great start to lexus...

ihave just bought a 38k is220d. Within 10days i have had the bottom end replaced. carboned up/ lack of power... the car is now doing after 4days 30mpg. Was advised i didnt need to run it in!!!!crap fuelconsumption.Not a great start to lexus...

I have had the same work done on my car following a breakdown on the M18 the RAC did some temporary fix but only lasted a few miles eventually the car was recovered to Lexus Sheffield. It was with them for a week in this time they fit modified pistons and rings, did a de-coke fit EGR valve, an ECU and catalytic converter. Excellent service from Gary and his team at Sheffield. It was explained to me that this can happen at any time with early engines mine is on 57 plate but who knows when the engine was built, regardless of how many miles the car has done What happens is oil passes the piston rings causing a build up of carbon in the cylinders any un-burnt oil goes into the EGR valve to cause a blockage and then into the catalytic converter damaging that.

At first my MPG was poor around mid 30 and I was getting 42 before my breakdown, it is understandable that after such extensive work the engine will be tight and will take time to bed in. I have now covered about 1000 miles since the engine rebuild and the MPG has steadily risen and is now at 40, I think it is a case of gentle driving and you should see an improvement given time.

My car was out of warranty and the work was done free of charge, do not forget that this engine in guaranteed for 100k.

Merv

Its very dissapointing that there is an issue with these cars and it is all hush hush. Lexus Teeside where in a place of half full/ half empty. They didnt seem to keen to inform me of what was happening then they tried to fall over themselves trying to keep me happy. I have tried to build my confidence with them but i think they have lied from the start to finish ( i have this B******t detector that was working over drive ) The car was sold to me with an expectation of 45 mpg plus but is struggling and then the service manager ( under his breath ) confirmed i would struggle to get over 37 mpg if i was lucky

So any one out there...the car is lovely .....but its no good for fuel economy and is likely to need a bottom end sooner rather than later. It turns out that Lexus are covering under warranty up to 7 years old or 118k miles.

Its very dissapointing that there is an issue with these cars and it is all hush hush. Lexus Teeside where in a place of half full/ half empty. They didnt seem to keen to inform me of what was happening then they tried to fall over themselves trying to keep me happy. I have tried to build my confidence with them but i think they have lied from the start to finish ( i have this B******t detector that was working over drive ) The car was sold to me with an expectation of 45 mpg plus but is struggling and then the service manager ( under his breath ) confirmed i would struggle to get over 37 mpg if i was lucky

So any one out there...the car is lovely .....but its no good for fuel economy and is likely to need a bottom end sooner rather than later. It turns out that Lexus are covering under warranty up to 7 years old or 118k miles.

Hi Jen & Paul

You sound as if you have lost total trust which is disappointing and can tell you I have had excelent service from Lexus Newcastle and of late Sheffield not had any experience of Teeside and I live mid way between them and Newcastle. I am positive that you car will get sorted and your cofidence will be restored, I am now getting 40 MPG it has gentally improved sonce the engin rebuild.

Regards Merv

Just an Update

Since I posted this, My car has nearly done the 1000 mile run in, and true to Lexus newcastles word, My Fuel economy has been the best its has been since purchasing the car. I was averaging 29 mpg now my same journey it is anywhere from 37 to 44 mpg. again my car was out of warranty and work was carried out free of charge (very pleased at that), But also disapointed that it has taken over 12 months taking car back to dealer. I hope this improved MPG lasts.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi there. I have a lexus IS 200d and my car went into limp mode and greenflag diagnosis was code p0400 exaust gas recirculation flow. The fuel consumption is also ridiculous. My car is 07 plate and 63000 miles and no warranty. How to I get lexus to fix this without charge? I only got this car a few months ago

Why have you bumped a 5 year old thread?

In answer to your question, unless you bought it from a Lexus dealer, they are not going to fix it for free.  Luckily, the EGR valve can be cleaned relatively easily.

Also, an 07 plate car should be a 220d, not 200d.  They came later.