Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shaking & High Temperature

JHawk

Hi Everyone,

I have recently noticed my Lexus IS200 doing some very strange things after many years of perfect driving. It started with the Engine Management light coming on a couple of weeks ago. My driving was still perfect though

I have just had 2 new tyres put on (I don't believe this is the issue) and driving to work yesterday morning the steering started shaking but went back to normal driving after 2 or 3 miles.

Anyway the same thing happened this morning but then I also heard a rattling noise. It was difficult to make out if it was coming from the back or the front. My initial thought its was coming from back. Because I only had a short journey I decided to continue to work. On qeueing at traffic lights I then noticed the temperature gauge getting high. It wasn't in the red but it was getting close. On finally getting to work there was a small amount of steam coming from the engine.

So for me it could be more than one thing. New tyres have been put on and now needs balancing, but that doesn't answer my temperature. Could this be totally unrelated and be an issue with the radiator or something?

One final thing I have a 100 mile drive tomorrow. I'm guessing it would be unadvisable to make this journey until I get this issue sorted.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jason

Hi Everyone,

I have recently noticed my Lexus IS200 doing some very strange things after many years of perfect driving. It started with the Engine Management light coming on a couple of weeks ago. My driving was still perfect though

I have just had 2 new tyres put on (I don't believe this is the issue) and driving to work yesterday morning the steering started shaking but went back to normal driving after 2 or 3 miles.

Anyway the same thing happened this morning but then I also heard a rattling noise. It was difficult to make out if it was coming from the back or the front. My initial thought its was coming from back. Because I only had a short journey I decided to continue to work. On qeueing at traffic lights I then noticed the temperature gauge getting high. It wasn't in the red but it was getting close. On finally getting to work there was a small amount of steam coming from the engine.

So for me it could be more than one thing. New tyres have been put on and now needs balancing, but that doesn't answer my temperature. Could this be totally unrelated and be an issue with the radiator or something?

One final thing I have a 100 mile drive tomorrow. I'm guessing it would be unadvisable to make this journey until I get this issue sorted.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jason

Hi Jason, welcome to LOC.

Have you checked to see if the radiator fan kicks in when the engine is hot?

A friend of mine bought a car recently and found that the wheels needed balancing, but after having it done it made no difference. He took it somewhere else where they checked the tyres and found the pressure to be low. They inflated them and the problem went so it's worth just checking they've put the right pressure in first (always best to try the easy things first)

I certainly wouldn't want to do 100 miles until I've sorted the problem. Hopefully others will come up with some ideas.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I've not checked the pressures so that might be worth checking.

As for the fan. I've not checked that. I'm not going to be doing my 100 drive though. Would it be wise to top my radiator up with water for my short trip home from work?

Thanks v much

Jason

Hi Phil,

I've not checked the pressures so that might be worth checking.

As for the fan. I've not checked that. I'm not going to be doing my 100 drive though. Would it be wise to top my radiator up with water for my short trip home from work?

Thanks v much

Jason

You only need to top up at the expansion tank, and don't overfill or there won't be anywhere for the hot water to go when it expands (except out of places where it's not meant to go!)

Yeh just filled up expansion tank and it didn't make any difference to the temperature. Weird thing is it tends to fluxiate. It will almost go into the red and then it will drop back down to a more normal level.

Its the rattling now which is of concern after my drive home from work. It sounds like something is dragging on the floor. It stops when I'm stationary so thats what made me think that but everything is soundly in place underneath the car. Was thinking it could be something catching on the wheels or something. But it must be something engine based surely and then that is affecting my temperature. I admit I'm not an expert whatsoever when it comes to mechanics of an engine and with a Lexus you rarely need to be.

Yeh just filled up expansion tank and it didn't make any difference to the temperature. Weird thing is it tends to fluxiate. It will almost go into the red and then it will drop back down to a more normal level.

Its the rattling now which is of concern after my drive home from work. It sounds like something is dragging on the floor. It stops when I'm stationary so thats what made me think that but everything is soundly in place underneath the car. Was thinking it could be something catching on the wheels or something. But it must be something engine based surely and then that is affecting my temperature. I admit I'm not an expert whatsoever when it comes to mechanics of an engine and with a Lexus you rarely need to be.

Don't know about the IS but the LS has heat shields between the body and the exhaust, the're known to come loose and rattle. Does the sound like something dragging increase with speed?

I would say that describes it pretty well yeah. I actually thought it was the exhaust when I first heard it.

It may just be something that got slightly bent on the braking system catching on the wheel or the disc. If you can work out which side it is just jack the car up and spin the wheel and you should hear it. I had the same thing when I changed my discs, the bracket that holds the wear sensor bent slightly and catches the wheel when I corner, just needed bending back.

!On qeueing at traffic lights I then noticed the temperature gauge getting high. It wasn't in the red but it was getting close. On finally getting to work there was a small amount of steam coming from the engine."

You need to get this sorted before you use the car again, or you risk an expensive engine failure. At this stage it could be an inexpensive fix, but running at high temp can damage a lot more.