Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satnav Dvd Upgrade

Hi,

I have a 2007 RX400h, and am considering buying a satnav DVD upgrade to update the maps and allow the system to be used while moving. I have found a couple of sources:

http://www.satnav-updates.com/ GBP 40

http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/ EURO 160

Which makes me think that the first one is dodgy! Has anyone used them and able to provide feedback?

Nick.

No, it didnt. I don't know if there's anything I should do to load the software from the disc, or if it simply doesn't have the right software on it. It's just nice to have up to date mapping!

Anyone know if there's an update procedure I should do?

Sat Nav discs contain two items mainly, firmware updates and latest map data. Since 2009, all firmware updates contain a fix that stops the Sat Nav reader from reading recorded discs. To workaround this issue, new non-original discs like the one you bought contains the 2008 firmware but the latest map data. This allows your unit to still read copied discs, but it won't unlock the sat nav while in motion, as this requires a firmware update which will only be available on original discs.

I believe that is correct until the next time the battery is disconnected when it will revert back to the original spec. So I've been informed.

I believe this is correct as well. I am just waiting to see if I can get a 2010 disc for cheap on eBay.

Sorry the information above was wrong! If you put the 2010 disc and then put your copied disc it won't read it because the firmware won't recognize copied DVDs. It is either unlocking the Sat Nav or keeping the ability to read copied discs, you can't have both! ;)

Many thanks for the replies - very useful to know that non-original disks do not allow the firmware upgrade, as that's a big want for me - I never quite get round to setting the satnav before setting off! Will go for the official upgrade.

Nick.

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I am a new owner of 2005 GS430 and I cant find the SAT Nav DVD. The owners book for the sat nav says it is in the glove box but I cant see it in there.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Tibs

Ignore me found it - Just wasnt what I was expecting :)

Edited by Tiberian

Sat Nav update reader.

I am fascinated to read that it is possible to update my Sat Nav. I am new to this forum even though I have had my RX 350 for 5 years.

Where is the CD located, is it easy to get to and where do I get one from.

I was LED to believe it was factory fitted, and that was that!

Appreciate any help

RonB

Sat Nav update reader.

I am fascinated to read that it is possible to update my Sat Nav. I am new to this forum even though I have had my RX 350 for 5 years.

Where is the CD located, is it easy to get to and where do I get one from.

I was led to believe it was factory fitted, and that was that!

Appreciate any help

RonB

In the boot beside the jack on the right is a raised bit on the inwards facing side is a plastic cover - behind that is the satnav player. Ignition needs to be on to eject the discs.

new discs from http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/ at horrible prices:)

Thanks for the update on where to find the DVD unit.

Reading the ealier comments makes for interesting stuff, does any one have experience of the 40€ DVD?

Allways happy to chase a bargain!

But on the other hand, my 'ole mum used to say "if it sounds too good to be true it proberly is"

RonB

• 3 months later...

How much do UK franchised dealers charge for an 'official' update?

It varies depending on vehicle/age etc. but they are around £120. It is normally cheaper to get from the lexus-mapupdates link at the top of this thread - This is a genuine Toyota/Lexus site, just run by Europe rather than the UK.

• 1 year later...

Whilst I owned my RX400h I bought a set of Sat Nav discs from Lexus map updates that enabled the unlocking of the system. I have now exchanged the car for an RX450h and put back the original discs in the RX400h. So now I have a 4 disc set of 2010/2011 E13 to sell. Before putting them on eBay I wonder if anyone on the forum would be interested in buying. I am asking £55 including postage to a UK address.. Anyone who is interested can pm me for disc details.

The £40 0nes work just fine ;)

J

They may work OK but according to earlier posts they do not remove the block that prevents use whilst on the move but you have obviously found a way around that.

Bought a E14 DVD version for my GS 450h on eBay and it works fine: try searching Toyota Lexus navigation dvd.

The latest version is E16, bau at the moment it's rather expensive, may be better buying E15 .

In DVD box sold by Lexus there are 4 dvds east, central, North andd west Europe, bue sure to ask for maps you need.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old topic - but I'm thinking of updating my sat nav DVD and saw this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Lexus-original-navigation-DVD-E1D-2016-2017-Ver-1-West-Europe-NEW-/262408429892?hash=item3d18c2e144:g:n7wAAOSw~oFXIOTt

Has anybody tried one of these and does it allow input on the move?