Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Sound Levels Db

Hi, does anyone know what the official sound levels inside an IS200 are at 30mph, 50mph and 70mph?

Is there any site I can check how they compare against other cars?

I always thought it was quite noisy for a Lexus, maybe the wide tyres?

TIA

Hi, does anyone know what the official sound levels inside an IS200 are at 30mph, 50mph and 70mph?

Is there any site I can check how they compare against other cars?

I always thought it was quite noisy for a Lexus, maybe the wide tyres?

TIA

Don't know where you can find these figures. But when cruising at those speeds, engine and transmission should be virtually inaudible - the aircon/heater blower at full tilt is much noisier. Engine noise naturally increases with hard acceleration but should never be obtrusive. Road noise predominates and heavily depends on tyre make/type as often mentioned on this Forum. What it also depends on is tyre age - the materials harden and become less resilient before wear is a problem. Lower profile/wider tyres are also noisier. All round though, the IS200 is about the quietest 2 litre car you can find.

I was hoping someone had a link to an old magazine test that had noise levels in, I know they used to do it. For a Lexus I think it's quite noisy especially at 70mph. The LS and GS were once described as Cathedral quiet.

I was hoping someone had a link to an old magazine test that had noise levels in, I know they used to do it. For a Lexus I think it's quite noisy especially at 70mph. The LS and GS were once described as Cathedral quiet.

The LS & GS are spectacularly world-class quiet, and the IS200 is not quite in that category. Sound level measurements at the low levels involved are notoriously difficult because they do not differentiate the types of sound that are particularly annoying. However, in its class, the IS200 is very quiet and I would say that subjectively mine was no noisier at 70 mph than at 40 mph on a reasonable road surface. As an example, if following speech in something like a play on the radio set to a lowish level at 40 mph, there was never any need to turn it up at 70 mph, although you might have to slightly at 90 - 110 mph.

Note: If you can hear any wind-noise: Check the fit of the doors/rubber seals.