Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I know this is a long shot but I'm looking for my first LS400 and have a budget of £500 or below......I know it just seems rude somehow, all that car for the daft prices they are fetching recently. This is probably my best chance to get on the LS400 ladder and I have been looking in all the normal places eBay, autotrader, gumtree etc but if anyone knows of one for sale or has one for sale would they been kind enough to let me know please.

I ask as if anyone will know its one of you lot who seem to know just about everything about these cars. I have just about everything crossed that I can find one before she who must be obeyed walks past another bloody shoe shop, or not walk past more to the point....I'm sure she must have a problem with her legs when she's in town!!

Cheers

I think you will be very lucky to get a good one for that budget. My friend is currently looking to buy an LS400 and even the £1000 ones he has looked at have been poor examples. I'm sure you can get one for that money (circa £500), but you may well be buying trouble that will cost you more in the near future. Looking at what's been available, I think you might get a good one for £1500 plus at the moment as prices do seem to have fallen since the pump prices have reached new highs.

Stu

I think I need to clarify my situation a little as I can see where my comments are misleading lol.

I have a short period of time to source a LS due to us going on holiday in 3 weeks.

I have another car im selling (not suitable for long run to Cornwall) but it's not sold yet as I need to do rear wheel bearings.

The LS prices must have just about hit rock bottom at the moment and I'm expecting to have some work to do. I'm not expecting mint examples not at that price.

I will no doubt sell and get a better example when the time is right. I don't mind rescuing an older sadder looking example I'm sort of looking forward to it :)

Plus I really really WANT one :)

Cheers

Pere

I think I need to clarify my situation a little as I can see where my comments are misleading lol.

I have a short period of time to source a LS due to us going on holiday in 3 weeks.

I have another car im selling (not suitable for long run to Cornwall) but it's bot not sold yet as I need to do rear wheel bearings.

The LS prices must have just about hit rock bottom at the moment and I'm expecting to have some work to do. I'm not expecting mint examples not at that price.

I will no doubt sell and get a better example when the time is right. I don't mind rescuing an older sadder looking example I'm sort of looking forward to it :)

I don't do many miles so fuel not an issue and anyway on a run LS would be no worse than my old lucida.

Plus I really really WANT one :)

Cheers

Pete

I know what you mean nice, there was a cracking example go on eBay the other day for £670 and it was a beaut. I'm some times not great at getting across what I mean on screen and my purpose for this post was that many eyes watching will see more than one set. For example Ruud was having a gander at eBay and noticed the one for £670 when I hadn't and he knew I was looking and put me on to it.

I hope I haven't offended anyone as I really do know that what I get for £500 or less is going to need money spent on it in the long run and I don't mind doing that.

There are a couple I'm looking at now that are under or around £500 and I'm a little worried if I hold back too long the bargains will be gone...thats normally my luck anyway lol.

Thanks for that Mike

I saw that one but Im always dubious of 1 picture and hardly any description. I think I know the one you were on about that has gone, there were a few that have gone whilst i faffed about!

Theres one going cheapish on eBay but it needs the screen replacing and my insurance doesnt cover that. Anyone know how much a screen costs to buy/fit. Im assuming someone on here breaks LS's.

Thanks Malc

I knew I had seen a name somewhere. Brilliant, thanks

I am determined I will get an LS soon, they are such lovely cars. I have to keep pinching my self that they have come down so much in price it just doesn't seem right they are that price. Its about time the government robbers have done me a favour however inadvertently!

Found this one just recently...http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1033719601/b2cd4e4c.html then I found this one ha ha!http://www.iwantthatone.com/cars/lexus/ls400/LEXUS+LS400/2737.html. Must be having a laff!

WOW !!! I like an optimist but thats a step to far. May be he didn't mean to put the 5 on the end of the price.

Mike

Firstly after reading this thread stop asking stupid questions.

You have only £500 so the car will be a MK1 1990 to 1992 with high milage with a brown or blue interior which looks rubbish.

Do yourself a favour and save a little more get a MK2 1993 to 1994 model which is much much better car with black leather interior and you'll have a much better looking car inside.

You can find these quite easily for around £700 to £1,000 with small faults or £2K for a mint one.

Lastly if you want to know what model does what then a quick visit to parkers guide website will do for now for you.

Are you normally that rude or are you just having a bad day? Either way I forgive you.

If you had read the thread you would have noticed that I had no wish to offend people and that I knew what I would get for 500 was going to need work which I was happy to undertake, even looked forward to doing the work.

I'm glad you seem to have more money than me, one of the things I was pleasantly surprised about is that a forum for a luxury car seemed to present no snobbery what so ever.

Just for your info I did have a bigger budget but an unforeseen household bill took care of that fantasy for me, typical of my luck lol. I decided though despite the budget setback I would still try and get an LS partly due to having always wanted one and partly because of the encouragement and advice I received on this forum.

I'm sorry if I offended people by asking daft questions.

I'm sorry if it came across as devaluing anyones car it was not my intention to do so, there just happen to be some cheap cars out there at this point in time.

I was encouraged to ask questions by reading posts by members that said there were no daft questions. I try to only ask a question after I've used the search facility and not found the answer.

Anyway hope you enjoy the rest of your evening and don't ever call me stupid. I'm not, I just don't know yet.

It's entirely feasable if you're looking at getting one that needs a bit of work. I've picked up a MKIV with 117,000 miles on it for under a grand which needed a new track rod end, a few dents pulling out of the wing and a new indicator. Seen someone else pick one up for even less that needed a new driver's door skin. They are out there at the prices you're looking at, if you're not picky. 10yr old 2nd hand cars with low MPG really aren't worth a lot right now.

Hi Toxo, I'm not fussy and I know there is going to be work needed, but thats half the fun isnt it. I will enjoy getting an old one back up to good condition plus it gets me out of the house.

They are out there but with work needed.

Cheers

And if you look ( it's a freebie ) at the old MOT advisories and fail sheets on the DVLA computer database for the specific car ( you will need some detail from the owner to do the search ) then that will give u a head start with thinking what might need doing apart from the obvious when u physically see the car.

You will find one OK, and it might well be a good 'un.

Good luck

malc

Cheers Malc, thats a belting tip, I hadnt seen that anywhere on the web.

I will go and peruse the dvla website now.

Thanks again, I learn something new everyday.

Devon, nice and everyone else, thanks so much for all your help over the last week or so.

The search is over :)

I picked up my P Reg LS today and had a lovely long drive home. Wow what a mile muncher! Effortless and calm and damn fast when required (one very embarrassed chav left in my wake lol. Well he started it!)

Apart from that, it really does like you all say have a very calming effect, so much so I sailed past my junction and then next almost at Wigan before I doubled back. Go on ask me if i cared ....I cared not a jot :)

Got home and she who must be obeyed wanted a drive out, oh go on then if I must ;) She loved it....result.

The LS needs a little TLC but not as much as I feared and I can't wait for day light to crack on with it :)

Again thanks for everyone's help now where is that search button, first stop fix the radios lack of light and incomplete display characters.