Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Real Life Mpg Figures.

TonyB

I have my CT200h since September 2015, it's a 4 years old CPO with 30000miles and full spec and I completed my 3200miles today since I bought it ...

City Avg is 4.4l/100km (64,2MPG UK),

HVY with avg speed 84MPH is 6.0l/100km (47MPG UK)

I'm pretty amazed by it, because my previous Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCi had almost the same MPG on both scenarios, and it was much weaker car in terms of power and torque.

I just love it.

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą Tapatalk

I did a 76 mile journey today, most of it at 50mph on a motorway having lots of road works done, some at 70mph. At that speed my end of journey mpg was 65.5, a record for me.

That's what it's about.

If you want anywhere near the published economy figures for a hybrid, you need to adapt your driving style accordingly, and that means staying below 60 (preferably 50 to 55) on the motorways.

I regularly got over 70mpg in my Prius on long motorway runs in good weather with cruise on at 55.

• Like 1

"I regularly got over 70mpg in my Prius on long motorway runs in good weather with cruise on at 55."

Lorry speed.... or thereabouts. Which is preferable because one tends to be adding little to the inconvenience to those who like to travel at quicker speeds on motorways.The issues arise when one tries to travel slower than lorry speed because this leads to those heart stopping moments when lorries change lanes to overtake whether there is room to do so or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I think cruising at 50 on a motorway could be viewed as being a lane blocker. Whenever I have come up behind a car at that speed it can cause a problem, as all the vehicles on the inside lane now have to move over, including very large lorries. I'm not saying you should not drive at that speed but it is rare to find cars traveling so slow. Agreed though, when I have had to stick to 50ish the MPG goes up quite a bit.

I totally disagree with people driving at 50mph, forcing trucks who are running on tight schedules to have to move into the middle lane, causing everybody else to move into the outside lane!!

Surely the difference in MPG at 56mph is negligible so why not travel at the same speed as trucks and not cause this issue, if you really feel the need to drive so slowly. Just bear in mind people towing and coaches are limited to 60mph.

My personal opinion, if you must drive to maximise MPG on a motorway then 60 mph should be sufficient, I personally will continue to drive at 70mph (conditions dependent of course)

The one fly in the ointment with using the hybrid cars speedo in order to regulate one's speed on motorways is that the speedos on the toyota based hybrids seem to be universally very optimistic. Most lorries appear to the prius and CT200 drivers to be travelling at 60 mph on motorways. They are in fact travelling at 56mph and the car speedos are inaccurate. In order to travel at 56mph, one just needs to travel at lorry speed and ignore the on board instrumentation because it is quite simply, wrong

Interestingly, it would appear that the vehicle designers are more than aware of this anomaly since the milometer of the Toyota based hybrids shows accurate mileage. From an instrumentation engineers point of view, there seems to be little sense in having two individual sensors for cumulative mileage and instantaneous mileage, it is therefore most likely that the speedo ( and the fuel computer) are deliberately programmed to read optimistically despite some models actually having a speedo recalibration subroutine built into the on board computer specifically for when the tyre circumferences are changed slightly.( when replacing tyres with new ones)

Toyota speedos are purposely calibrated to read over in the UK. If a speedo reads 70 mph at a true 70 mph then according to the repair manuals it should be replaced as it is out of calibration. There are legal reasons why this is the case, and the main purpose is to make sure it never reads under the true speed, but Toyota do seem to make their speedos read over by more than some manufacturers. The odometer is much more accurate. In other regions the speedo is more accurate too but it can also read under.

Remember it is never going to be 100% accurate, the calibration isn't changed depending on vehicle's wheel size, which all have a slightly different circumference, and you will get at least 1 mph difference just from your tyre thread wearing down from 8mm to 2mm.