Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Real Life Mpg Figures.

TonyB

With the Diesel economy, might be worth checking out :

Fuelly - Golf

That's 2012 model year Golfs, looks like all TDI model, doing between 30 and 55 mpg. Not what was advertised ...

Audi A3 diesels are :

Audi A3 diesels on Fuelly

And our little bit of loveliness on 4 wheels is :

CT200h on Fuelly

I'm dragging the average down there ! (And I need a better name than "Blue CT" :lol: )

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 7 year old Yaris d4d and average 57mpg around town#.. About 65 on long runs.. I don't drive fast but don't drive slowly either.

# Figures from over 5 years' worth of consumption

Any hybrid which can't better that is not worth it to me.

Having said that, I followed a CT 200H home this morning in Stoke on Trent, and it looked great - from the rear...

• 3 weeks later...

Honest John real mpg average is 53.6. Pick up my CT200h on Tuesday. Will be happy with that figure and looking forward to the tax saving. By the way my 07 BMW 320d Touring gets me an average of 42-45.

Honest John real mpg average is 53.6. Pick up my CT200h on Tuesday. Will be happy with that figure and looking forward to the tax saving. By the way my 07 BMW 320d Touring gets me an average of 42-45.

not sure the bmw mpg good or bad once the purchase cost is factored in ? my 03 1.8t 20v passat petrol which is my daily driver has served me 48,000 miles in 4 years ,now covered 144,000 total , computer shows overall average for my ownership at 31mpg , ,not bad for a 9yr old estate :blink: probably worth about £1500 so it stay's till it dies LOL

good luck with your new motor

• Like 1

You might find Fuelly of interest :

07 BMW 320d

Looks like the 08 model year Beemer had some mods which upped the mpg about 10%.

And the : CT200h

Mine's in there dragging the average down as the "Be Vewy Vewy Qwiet" Wabbit Hunter :hehe:

Best I've seen on the trip computer after a distance is 72mpg - that was about 20 miles after filling up at Newark heading south on the mostly 40mph limited A46 B) . I average 49-50 on extended 70mph runs, with that falling to 44 in the cold urban conditions we have at the moment. The trip computer overreads by maybe 2-3mpg over 250-300 miles of driving, the 44 & 49-50 are actual mpgs whereas the 72 was the trip computer.

You won't see the high mpgs until it gets warmer I'm afraid, the hybrid system is awesome but isn't keen on the cold. It tends to hold onto the engine longer than is really necessary (to keep it and you warm) so the mpgs will be lower.

2nd Last link for this post : CT200h Forum

That's an international forum that talks about our CT's and may give some tips on modding if you're into that kind of thing B) Oh and the general opinion (me included) on there is "You'll pry our CT keys out of our cold dead hands" :lol: Enjoy !

PS Last thread with Honestjohn numbers was looking at GS450h economy, I didn't see much point in adding the link there because there was only 1 GS450h being logged on Fuelly :huh: .

• 1 month later...

Had the CT200 about four weeks now, love it. I am getting consistently 52 - 53 mpg on my work commute. 64 miles round trip mainly A roads and Motorway. Half a dozen long trips 150 plus mainly motorway getting around 47,48.

If as suggested MPG will improve in Summer I am more than happy with results I am getting. With petrol at around 7p a litre cheaper than diesel happy days. Not to mention the tax benefits.

Glad I didn't go for the A3.

• 1 month later...

I am currently getting an indicated 67.5 MPG which is probably closer to around 63-64. The type of roads make a huge difference to fuel consumption since I found that the figure will easily drop to a real 53 mpg on fast A roads and motorways. I am hoping to get somewhere near to the manufacturers claimed figure when the ambient temperature rises sufficiently. It looks do-able given the figures i have achieved on my 38 mile commute on little A roads ( the sort where you get stuck behind 40MPH lorries), B roads ( the sort where you get stuck behind tractors) villages and towns ( the sort where some misguided nitwit thinks that 20mph is an efficient speed for modern motor vehicles to travel at- 5mph slower than a push bike!). Given roads like this with very little opportunity to overtake, it becomes very easy to concentrate on economic travel rather than getting there quickly.

• 5 months later...

Well my CT on a motorway may get to 50mpg but is better on country, A or B roads were I've seen about 60mpg. Forget 70plus mpg claims they are as far out as the moon but its not Lexus that are only guilty of low fuel consumption claims, all manufaturers are guilty of such false fuel claims.

Hoping to hear from anyone who owns a CT, and how the fuel consumption stands up to

Manufacturers claims, have heard that 69mpg is not realistic.

Is it a good Car, whats it like to live with , etc.

Rgds, Tony.

Hi there,

Stumbled across this thread when severely disappointed with our MPG figures (800 miles).

I have done all the things you read about - driven smoothly, no hard accelerating, and almost zero braking (planning ahead), maintaining fixed speed etc. - all added up to 47mpg! We're seeing our dealer to see what else we can do to improve things, but at the moment it's a bit of a joke.

One very revealing thing (and the main reason I'm posting) is that the EPA (USA equivalent of our EU testing) rates the car at 42mpg. Does that kind of number sound familiar? I thought so... seems like they know how to test a bit more realistically! Given the octane difference between the US and UK, plus my obsessive driving style, 47mpg seems ok now.

So.. buyer beware... I know I'll be checking the EPA figures before buying my next car!

Raj

Sorry but your car is not run in. Report back after 5,000 miles.

"all manufaturers are guilty of such false fuel claims. "

No claims are false: if you read the thread all claims are carried out under EU mandated test conditions. These are unrealistic.

I bought a car for fuel consumption, I'd do some basic homework and read - rather than making erroneous and libellous statements.

My CT has 14000 miles on it ( so it is run in) and today I averaged just over 70 mpg on a tank full . This was exceptional. The weather has been warm but I havent needed to run the air conditioner. There have been no high speed runs and no runs shorter than 37 miles. Overall average speed was just 35MPH.

My previous best was just over 68MPG.

My normal fuel economy s around 64 mpg. By the way, these figures didnt come from the onboard computer which is very optimistic, the figures are calculated from tank fill to tank fill.

The official tests are done on a rolling road in a lab type environment, so you'd be hard pushed to achieve that. As mentioned above, if you do a lot of town driving, then diesels are not the way to go. Even with stop start, the DPF will clog up, and that could mean either expense down the road, or having to take it on a blast on a good A road/motorway a couple of times a month - which will mean wasted fuel having to do that journey!!

We had a Prius (same engine etc) and managed 57.7 mpg in town only. That was with 4 people in the car for 4 hours trying all the modes on a test drive during the day when our city was very busy.

My biggest tip would be that you stick to the speed limits. You won't believe how little the engine will come into play if you do that and start coasting early - that way the Battery charges and stays at least half charged all of the time. That really helped us in the last 2 hours of the test drive. Even if you think you are in grid lock, when you do move you'll try and sub-consciously make up time - speeding. That will burn your fuel away. How fast you accelerate is also important. Try keeping in electric until you hit conventional 2nd gear speeds - 15-20mph - and you'll reap the rewards.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a general observation: my car is white and I have noticed that true to form, it doesnt get so hot in the cockpit as a black or darker coloured car and therefore the ventilation system will generate a more tolerable environment far more quickly ( and therefore more economically) than another car which is finished in a darker colour.I switch on the air conditioning system when it is required but this is mostly on days upon which the ambient temperature is above 24C. I think that the lexus ventilation system is excellent and very well designed.

• 1 month later...

Hi, had my CT now for 1 week (16K) and the reading was 53.9mpg on A roads / country lanes and town driving covering 50 miles a day never going above 60mph.

After filling up yesterday on the same route and switching the Air Con off the mpg has lept up to 58.6 on the same route and conditions! OR is my driving adjusting to the car to bring more savings?

Where I used to let the engine brake before entering corners or slowing down I've had to come off the gas well early and let the car coast because its as if the car is Neutral and you enter a corner well too fast, had 2 frights already....

I was never expecting 60+mpg but if I can maintain 58 then I will be well happy.

I've just changed from a DMS tuned BMW 535D touring (343bhp), that returned 26mpg on the same route so saving myself a fortune in fuel, insurance and road tax. With the savings and a small outlay I shall buy E36 M3 to satisfy my need for speed...

• 1 year later...

2011 CT 200h

We are very disappointed with the MPG of our lexus after two months ownership and two test fill up's we can only achieve 37 mpg which is far worse than the 42mpg we managed to get from a volvo D5!!!, we took the car into our local dealer who checked it over only to tell us it had no problem even though when we picked it up it had even less of an average showing!!,we won't keep it long and will not buy the brand again.

Well here's my tuppence worth:

As I explained in the 'Whats your best average' forum (14 October 2013).

Mine was around 41 mpg, and that was motorway driving through France down to Spain at speeds quicker than the u.k. limit. However since then I have done a full tank to full tank (admittedly it's around town for the duration) and averaged the paltry total of 39.8 mpg.

No I'm not a boy racer and I don't wear lead boots. As my nom de plume says I'm an 'Old Git'

I must admit I am disappointed with these figures but a vast improvement on the mpg of my 'Landcruiser Amazon' so I'm sticking with the Lexus.

2011 CT 200h

We are very disappointed with the MPG of our lexus after two months ownership and two test fill up's we can only achieve 37 mpg which is far worse than the 42mpg we managed to get from a volvo D5!!!, we took the car into our local dealer who checked it over only to tell us it had no problem even though when we picked it up it had even less of an average showing!!,we won't keep it long and will not buy the brand again.

Mine is still averaging 54mpg over its first 12,000 miles/6 months which compares to my old S60 D5auto which did 42 mpg over the 20,000 miles I had it. I mainly do long distances with very little local work which does push the mpg down. Over Xmas when I was not working, I was getting about 45'mpg, which is still way off yours. I always run it in 'normal' rather than sport and usually keep to about 70-75 on the Mway.

55 - 58 mpg when I bought it in November 2013 (10 month old, 10k miles, ex. Lexus HQ car) and it has only dropped to 53 mpg in the current cold weather all with the aircon set to auto.

You do need to adjust your driving style though to get the best out of the hybrid system. I usually lose MPG on the open A road section of most journeys but catch it back up on the slower sections and in traffic.

• Like 1

I'm asking the obvious, but you are using the correct oil 00/20W as this can have dramatic effects on mpg. Some Toyota dealers still use 5/30W as an option on the Prius.

Tyre pressure can also affect mpg..do you check regularly. I run mine about 3psi above norm.

I am currently getting around 48 mpg per tank (50 mpg on the computer). I am a bit disappointed in this as I thought I was an economical driver, but it’s a lot better than the 28 mpg I was getting from my previous car. However the car has only done 2000 miles and my daily commute is about 7 miles mainly at 20 – 40 mph. I am hoping it will improve in the summer.

That's an interesting observation, where does information such as this originate. I find it difficult to believe that the colour of the car would have any impact on the interior temperature!

P.S. This response refers to post #38 by Wass. I pressed the 'quote' button but it doesn't seem to have worked, For some reason this site does not seem to work that well for me in recent times. It always used to work perfectly but now as mentioned, the quote button doesn't work and neither can I 'copy and paste' any links.

That's an interesting observation, where does information such as this originate. I find it difficult to believe that the colour of the car would have any impact on the interior temperature!

P.S. This response refers to post #38 by Wass. I pressed the 'quote' button but it doesn't seem to have worked, For some reason this site does not seem to work that well for me in recent times. It always used to work perfectly but now as mentioned, the quote button doesn't work and neither can I 'copy and paste' any links.

I have owned black cars and white cars. Black car interiors get much hotter in the summer. Although you find this hard to believe, it is a fact.

I too have owned dark cars (including black ones) and white ones but can honestly say that I have never noticed any difference. I know that the Tuareg tribes wear black in some of the hottest places on the planet, they presumably do this to keep cool.

• Like 1

Tuareg: evaporative cooling.The body sweats, the sweat evaporates. black allows the body to sweat more easily in their view. I lived 4 years with desert dwellers and they are divided 50/50 between black and white. I personally found white to be far more cooler but dificult to keep clean. My boss out there had a dark red car which you had to wear long trousers and gloves in order to drive it after it had been parked in the sun.... I drove a white car which I could comfortably drive in shorts and i didnt burn my hands on the steering wheel.

My point about car colour is that a light coloured car which isnt so hot inside will not work the air conditioner so hard and therefore wont use so much electrical power which , on longer journeys will use less fuel than a darker coloured vehicle. A darker car however will heat the engine up quicker on short journeys and will therefore use less fuel in just trying to bring the engine up to temperature.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links