Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Wobble Is 200

developed a worrying steering wheel wobble today but only after about 50mph,ok at lower speeds.tyres didn't seem to be falling off! am about as mechanically minded as our cats,and garage closed today,so has anyone any ideas as to the cause,please?

developed a worrying steering wheel wobble today but only after about 50mph,ok at lower speeds.tyres didn't seem to be falling off! am about as mechanically minded as our cats,and garage closed today,so has anyone any ideas as to the cause,please?

Wobbly wheels or steering wheel vibration especially at higher speeds!

I would aim at a weight dropped off or you have clipped a wheel on the curb or something.

Take the car to your local tyre fitters and ask them to check your wheel balance.

It painless and should be pretty cheap as all they have to do is take your wheels of throw them on a machine and it will tell them where to put the weight and how much on the wheel.

it transpired it was brake caliper and it wasnt cheap alas

A brake caliper?

***********************************RANT ALERT!!!*******************************************************

A caliper causing wheel wobble is hard to believe without some symptoms other than those you described.

Your Caliper is fixed stationary to the rear of the wheel hubs. So how can something that is stationary cause your wheels to wobble?

Stuck pistons in the calipers?

This would mean your brakes would be stuck on even a little but you would notice that when driving. Slower pull offs, no rolling back on inclines, car pulling to one side when taking foot off gas. Quick clean up and copper grease could have cured that. <<<Most likely culprit if it was a brake issue.

Maybe caliper was loose and they tightened it or maybe a bolt fell out and they replaced the bolt?

No need for a caliper replacement there!

Even your disc could have been warped/cracked and this catching on the brake pads could cause the wobble needing new discs and pads.

Don't wish to call your choice of garage/mechanic dis-honest but there are a lot of disreputable people and places around. Maybe in the future do some homework on what the problem is and some possible causes before taking to a mechanic and even then try somewhere else for a second opinion. Also do your homework on the where you take your car to be repaired. Ask around to see if people have used them before and find out if they are reasonable and honest.

(I am not going to bleat on about using only official dealerships as I have had catastrophic results from work supposedly carried out by the true experts)

Also...When you replace any part of the suspension or braking setup you should be working at least in pairs.

Ok so you can get away with replacing ONE caliper but you should also replace the pads on the problem side and opposite side. If they replaced the caliper and used the old pads then this is also bad practice. If the caliper had a fault it would have caused adverse wear on the pads meaning re-using them would cause uneven wearing and could possibly affect the balance of your braking.

Rant over!!!

But it makes me angry when even in these hard times people are out to rip people off from their hard earned money.