Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Any Ideas On A Noise Please

It's sort of between a whine and a drone. It's related to roadspeed rather than engine speed. It's still there if I knock it into neutral when travelling at speed. It's barely noticeable at 30 or 40 mph but quite irritating at 70-80.

It's definitely not engine related as if I change gear (increase revs) at 70mph the noise stays the same.

It's not related to the gas conversion as it remains constant if I switch between gas and petrol.

Any ideas welcome?

Thanks

Mike

It's sort of between a whine and a drone. It's related to roadspeed rather than engine speed. It's still there if I knock it into neutral when travelling at speed. It's barely noticeable at 30 or 40 mph but quite irritating at 70-80.

It's definitely not engine related as if I change gear (increase revs) at 70mph the noise stays the same.

It's not related to the gas conversion as it remains constant if I switch between gas and petrol.

Any ideas welcome?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

sounds like a wheel bearing

Maurice

Any ideas welcome?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

You may have considered this already. I had exactly the same problem with my Vauxhall Vectra, a droning sound at 60-70mph which I thought was wheel bearings, I went on the Vauxhall forum and someone suggested uneven tyre wear, I changed the tyres (which were due)and the droning has completely gone. Yours may not be that simple but it's worth maybe swapping wheels around to see if it makes a difference.

Phil

Hi Phil - sorry I should have mentioned - that's what I thought it was too, but got 4 new tyres fitted (needed them anyway) and the noise was just the same. Normally my tyre fitter checks for wheel bearing problems so I would have expected him to spot if there was undue wear .... but it still is my favourite too at the moment. Would it cause the wheel or hub to heat up, as I checked at lunch time and they were all cool

Mike

Hi Phil - sorry I should have mentioned - that's what I thought it was too, but got 4 new tyres fitted (needed them anyway) and the noise was just the same. Normally my tyre fitter checks for wheel bearing problems so I would have expected him to spot if there was undue wear .... but it still is my favourite too at the moment. Would it cause the wheel or hub to heat up, as I checked at lunch time and they were all cool

Mike

I don't think a worn wheel bearing would cause enough heat that you would notice it unless it was really worn in which case you would certainly know about it. I agree with Maurice that the bearings are the first port of call. Does the noise increase when you take a bend, and did it gradually appear or was it sudden?

I think it has gradually appeared and may be very slowly getting worse (that sounds like a bearing doesn't it). But it doesn't get worse when I go round a corner and anyway at low speed it's not very noticable. The other thing I thought it may be is something to do with wind noise - I had left the roof gutter plugs out of the holes for the roof rack but when I replaced them the noise was still there (and no I'm not driving with a roof rack on at the moment :-) )

Mike

I think it has gradually appeared and may be very slowly getting worse (that sounds like a bearing doesn't it). But it doesn't get worse when I go round a corner and anyway at low speed it's not very noticable. The other thing I thought it may be is something to do with wind noise - I had left the roof gutter plugs out of the holes for the roof rack but when I replaced them the noise was still there (and no I'm not driving with a roof rack on at the moment :-) )

Mike

I really meant on a slight bend like on a motorway. I guess you need to get it off the ground first and check for bearing noise/play, a process of elimination really as it could be so many things. Lunch break over now, lets see what others have to say but if it's not engine speed related it does seem to point to bearings/diff/transmission etc but then...I am only a carpenter!

Phil

Mike

Mike

If it's not a wheel bearing, but it's related to road speed it could be a differential or prop shaft bearing.

John N

Mike

Mike

If it's not a wheel bearing, but it's related to road speed it could be a differential or prop shaft bearing.

John N

Am I right in saying the diff oil should be changed every 20k or did I just make that up?

Phil

been to a diff expert today and he says it's not a diff problem. He favours a wheel bearing issue and since hopefully that's not a huge job, I think I'll get it done on the wheel we slightly suspect.

Car had it's 100k service done about 3000 miles ago by Lexus so hopefully they will have made sure the diff oil etc is OK

Mike

been to a diff expert today and he says it's not a diff problem. He favours a wheel bearing issue and since hopefully that's not a huge job, I think I'll get it done on the wheel we slightly suspect.

Car had it's 100k service done about 3000 miles ago by Lexus so hopefully they will have made sure the diff oil etc is OK

Mike

Keep us posted.

Phil

Did a search on this forum and found this in a 4 month old thread

"Hello everyone, having had a lot of work done to my car and being quoted £157 approx to supply a wheel bearing from Lexus i looked elswhere and had this supplied by my local factors General Traffic Ltd. part n/o ABK1493 which was a genuine toyota part!! Complete kit as well for only £47.46 inc. Mechanics fee £80.= one quiet Lexus.I must add that I have no connection with the above named company. Try them for H/Brake cables as well!! Hope this helps you all."

So my ex-lexus fitter is going to fit one for £90 plus the cost of the product which is now £59 +VAT. That's a staggering 40% inflation since November, but the total cost of supplying and fitting is going to be just one third of the Lexus dealer price. Whilst Lexus Teesside have been really good in providing some excellent coffee and a lovely place to sit whilst they diagnosed the problem, I think I'm going to have to go with the 66% saving.

Mike

Did a search on this forum and found this in a 4 month old thread

"Hello everyone, having had a lot of work done to my car and being quoted £157 approx to supply a wheel bearing from Lexus i looked elswhere and had this supplied by my local factors General Traffic Ltd. part n/o ABK1493 which was a genuine toyota part!! Complete kit as well for only £47.46 inc. Mechanics fee £80.= one quiet Lexus.I must add that I have no connection with the above named company. Try them for H/Brake cables as well!! Hope this helps you all."

So my ex-lexus fitter is going to fit one for £90 plus the cost of the product which is now £59 +VAT. That's a staggering 40% inflation since November, but the total cost of supplying and fitting is going to be just one third of the Lexus dealer price. Whilst Lexus Teesside have been really good in providing some excellent coffee and a lovely place to sit whilst they diagnosed the problem, I think I'm going to have to go with the 66% saving.

Mike

Well at least it's much better than an engine/trans/diff problem. I think the main thing is that you get quality bearings. I replaced some bearings in a piece of my workshop machinery with cheap Chinese ones, they didn't last long!

Phil