Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Oem Hids To 600K

After having the 600K HIDs fitted to my old IS200 I kind of missed the bright white light that they gave off compared to the standard OEM 430K fitted to the IS250. So I looked around and went for a pair of 600K from a company on eBay called Xenonplanet.com who have a place over here in Hemel Hampstead and also the US. They were £65 so not the cheapest by a long shot.

See here:

396234696.jpg

So I fitted then today, removed the air box to get to the N/S headlamp and the washer pipe to gain access to the O/S headlamp. Fitted them and they worked great, nice and bright and was well happy. Put the car back together, fitted my new number plates, scrubbed up and was going to go for a drive to test.

I got back into the car, started her up and immediately got a fault message "Check VSC", engine safety light came on and she went into safe mode. Well the only thing I had changed was the bulbs and I needed the car for work tomorrow morning, so I got the tools out again and swopped back over to the OEM bulbs and crossed my fingers. Fortunately that cured the fault and she drove okay.

Now I didn't have time to refit the new 600K bulbs and see if I'd done something stupid as I didn't want to risk not having the car working tomorrow, but I definately will try again next week.

I've contacted the seller who says he has not had this happen before and that he will check out the error message so he's being quite helpful. Has anyone else come across anything like this? Any ideas?

Keith

Not an expert on these things, but I think cheap aftermarket HIDs can affect the steering ECU due to electronic interference. Maybe this is causing your warning light to come on?

Look at what some aftermarket HIDs did to this IS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn0B2lpzSlc

Keith, i've tried out many aftermarket D4S bulbs and to be honest they are all absolutely rubbish. For a good quality D4S you need to be paying more than £65. I heard of someone's ballast burning out due to a faulty aftermarket bulb.

The one I have had very good results with so far is the GARAX 6000k (Made In Japan). I've had it on my car for 1 year now and so far so good.

i thought proper HID kits came in a full kit with individual like packs for the lights ? all the kist ive seen they have a small black box that is coonected to them

Hid kits to convert non hid cars have the whole kit and caboodle, but if your car has factory fitted hids, then you just buy replacement bulbs.

Thanks Ahmed, I just checked the Garax HIDs and with shipping from the US they work jut about the same as these ones I bought. So I'll back these to the seller and try the Garax brand.

Thanks for your advice.

Keith

Okay I've sorted the HID problem. I bought some Garax HIDs 600K which with shipping came to £67, so £2 more than the other bulbs I had.

Took out the OEM 430K bulbs and put in the Garax.......same problem, the bulbs light up and worked but "check VSC" and safety mode plus traction control warning light. So I put the OEM back in and now THEY give the warning? I figured it had to be the fitting and not the bulbs as the OEM had worked before the swop. So I started again, double checking the way the bulbs fitted and exactly how the caps fitted onto the OEM bulbs, this time they worked properly again, with no fault showing. I swopped just the N/S to a Garax and tried again so I had 1 OEM and 1 Garax (not lighting the bulbs but just turning on the ignition) and hey presto NO fault, so I had narrowed it down to the O/S bulb. I swopped that for a Garax too and the fault reoccured, but at least I knew where it was going wrong.

On closer inspection it appears that the O/S bulb fitting has a copper type connection that must press against the cap when the cap is fitted to the bulb, and I looks like I didn't have the cap fitted 100% correctly, although it felt right and the bulbs still light up? Anyway the N/S bulb fitting did not appear to have the same copper type connection (bit like the type of copper fitting inside a torch switch if you've ever taken a torch apart lol). They work great and look the mutz nutz, well worth the extended work to sort them out.

Keith