Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As said in another topic, I am looking to switch to the 250 from the 220D. There seem to be a minimal number of manual 250's out there. My question is why is this? Why do people swear by autos? Can anyone explain (from their point of view) why they drive an auto? I know the obvious answers but at the same time I would like to hear individuals points of view.

Thanks!

As said in another topic, I am looking to switch to the 250 from the 220D. There seem to be a minimal number of manual 250's out there. My question is why is this? Why do people swear by autos? Can anyone explain (from their point of view) why they drive an auto? I know the obvious answers but at the same time I would like to hear individuals points of view.

Thanks!

Probably because it's possibly the best auto box on the market? When I first tried it back on the IS250 in 2005 I dismissed any thoughts of the manual box completely, especially when Lexus reported better mpg from the auto than the manual which was a first. The plus side is the availability of the flappy paddle change if you want to play so best of both worlds, and the 8 gear change on the IS-F is something else again,

This is my first auto and it is pretty good. My problem with autos is that they only change gear when they get it wrong and that a gearbox cannot anticipate what is unfolding in front of you so cannot change into the right gear in advance. The success of an auto box IMO is therefore down to the speed and smoothness of the changes. I personally find Mercedes autos to be the best I have used but the IS250 'box stands up pretty well in comparison.

The other thing about the 250 is that the engine is almost silent and completely gutless. There is nothing worse than a manual box on a whisper quiet engine that also needs a lot of revs to get going. That may sound a bit negative but I honestly think that the 250 engine and the auto box complement each other very well. It may not set the world alight but it is a very smooth combination.......and not as slow as it feels! If it weren't for all the feckin' rattles and creaks it would be a very relaxing place to be ;).

I would not recommend you buying a manual IS250. They are unpopular because Lexus doesn't make the greatest manual gearboxes, and as a result they depreciate really badly. In addition, I think the CO2 of the manual puts it in the highest tax bracket. I think Lexus has realized the manual IS250 doesn't make sense and has stopped making them. The IS250 Auto is incredibly smooth and refined, but it is a very boring car to drive (very low torque). The paddle shifts in my opinion are not very effective, as the changes take a while and the box will still take over when it wants to (it is not as "manual" as the IS-F auto box).

If you are looking for a good manual, maybe you should look at other car brands.

Go auto! I drove cars with manual gearboxes for 30 years (the last one being a Lexus IS200 sport) and was complemented on my gear changes by my IAM instructor, but have been completely won over by auto boxes now. Apart from it being easier to use than a manual, a manual could never match the speed and smoothness of the Lexus IS250 autobox, which I think is best (and quickest to change down) when the car is in ECT high power (green light on) mode. It is perfect then for winding A or B roads and you can still get nearly 40 to the gallon (out of town). Yes there are paddles as well so you can change manually if you want, but I only ever use the paddles to give instant kick down when overtaking. I think I am right in saying that the autbox gets even smoother once it is used to your way of driving, but someone who knows more may confirm or correct me on that.

I sometimes drive my wife's smart four-two coupe which is also an auto (of sorts) with paddle shift option. But with that car I use the paddles in semi-auto mode all the time because unlike the Lexus it cannot be relied upon to get the gears right on its own. It is almost always too slow to change up and you feel the changes more in auto mode.

BTW the Smart if fun to drive and certainly doesn't feel gutless. But that is because you think you are flying when doing about 45... In the Lex you think you are just cruising gently when doing 90.

I chose an auto as I wanted to climb into my car after a hard days work and waft home, relaxed. This is why I initially ruled both the diesel and manual petrol out. I am often criticized by both my friends and work colleagues for having an old mans car/gearbox when i'm only 19 (this is a very stereotypical view of automatics). It doesn't bother me though I adore my Lexus and it's auto box and i've been so pleased with how nice it is to drive.

As others have said, the manual box is very poor, i have one but only because i tow with my 250, and towing with the auto is a no-no according to Lexus.

I wouldent recomed anyone to have one though.

• 2 weeks later...

For my experience, IS250 auto gearbox is one of the quickest single-clutch gearbox in the market. It always changes gear in a very short time and normally i cant feel that when i was driving. This is one of the best parts for Lexus i thought which is still famous for and popular.

If you press the gas gently and look the speedometer, the gear is changing approximately between 1500rpm and 1800rpm. e.g. doing 20mph with 4th gear and 30mph with 5th gear. However, the car not loss any power you want even its doing 30mph with 5th gear. I just push the gas a bit and see the rpm straight goes up without changing to a lower gear.

2.5 litre v6 engine comes with 205bhp is really nice OTR.- -

Im not quite familiar with car technology. This is just some of my experience and understanding.

If these can help you that would be great.- -

Thanks

Dont know much about the lexus auto gear box, i like auto's seeing that certain/most IS250 are auto only, the f-sport and SE-L wouldnt that affect sales abit for lexus ? since the old IS300 was auto only some argue that was reason the car didnt sell quite well at the time cos lack of manual gearbox ?

All but one of my previous cars have been manuals - however out of all the autos I tested when considering the lexus - I preferred the Lexus. Tried a merc and found it horribly slow (maybe because only a 2litre) An auto Mondeo Ghia was absolutely cr**.(different league I know) The BMW 325 SE auto seemed no quicker and the end it came down to the interior/exterior which the lexus won hands down.

After driving the IS250 auto for nearly a year now I've got used to it. As with all autos - it decides when it wants to change up or down - when you switch to manual and change down its still smooth and couldnt be callled sporty in any way - its not slow though - you just dont get the sensations of lesser fast cars as its smooth and very quiet. I drove my old Mazda 6 (first gen) 2.2 diesel manual estate the other day and loved it - it feels so much more alive - you can hear the engine revving - its addictive. I did think to myself why have I done this! just for more toys, less space a bit of leather and bigger bills for everything? But I still love it all the same, just to look at it on the drive and waft home with the top notch stereo its hard to beat.

In conclusion if you must have a sporty responsive drive dont get an auto and probably don't buy a lexus its not really what they are about!

Good Luck!

MW