Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've been looking to do something with my LS suspension wise, or maybe buying a car with it already done.

I saw a mate last night who said his girlfiends cousins mates uncles sisters nieces son (or something like that) had an old Lexus for sale cheap and did I want to have a look at it? I thought why not and he arranged for me to see it this morning. I went to the farm today and to cut a long story short the bloke told me he was selling it for whatever he could get for it as it is his father car. he has now decided he was not going to return to the UK and no longer wanted the car.

The seller told me it's been in his barn for over three years or more, but was started and driven around the farm regularly (but only for a few miles each month) but the car isn't wanted by him or his family (the two Range Rovers and the X5 parked by a barn is probably the reason why not) and he wanted it gone. I was expecting to see an old GS or LS, but it turned out to be an early LS430. He left me to look around it I checked everything an it all worked, and apart from corrosion on two of the wheels and a few deep scratches it was OK. He came back and said did I want it because I could have it for £xxxx (I'm not saying how much, but when I say cheap, I mean really cheap)

I nearly bit his hand off. I returned with cash and a mate with his car trailer and the seller gave me the service book and a number of receipts, 4 old MOT's and the V5 showing his father was the second owner and had the car since 2003. tax ran out in August 07.

The car is now with a local mechanic for a once over and a service before the MOT.

Going out to the pub IS beneficial sometimes!

So my lovely LS400 is up for sale (it's going on eBay later tonight) but basically 226k, service history, DHP wheels, excellent out and in bar a few marks and scuffs on the front bumper, the radio backlight not working and the brake pad warning light on all the time. MOT'd and Taxed to.

Result! best pint youve had in the pub ile bet.an early one will be cheap road tax aswell good luck with it Mark

Even better luck being in the pub as I no longer drink!

It's a 2000 model so cheap tax-and my insurance will not be any different from my 400.

And here is the link to my LS400 on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-LEXUS-LS400-Mk-III-/250805029963?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a65250c4b

I've been looking to do something with my LS suspension wise, or maybe buying a car with it already done.

I saw a mate last night who said his girlfiends cousins mates uncles sisters nieces son (or something like that) had an old Lexus for sale cheap and did I want to have a look at it? I thought why not and he arranged for me to see it this morning. I went to the farm today and to cut a long story short the bloke told me he was selling it for whatever he could get for it as it is his father car. he has now decided he was not going to return to the UK and no longer wanted the car.

The seller told me it's been in his barn for over three years or more, but was started and driven around the farm regularly (but only for a few miles each month) but the car isn't wanted by him or his family (the two Range Rovers and the X5 parked by a barn is probably the reason why not) and he wanted it gone. I was expecting to see an old GS or LS, but it turned out to be an early LS430. He left me to look around it I checked everything an it all worked, and apart from corrosion on two of the wheels and a few deep scratches it was OK. He came back and said did I want it because I could have it for £xxxx (I'm not saying how much, but when I say cheap, I mean really cheap)

I nearly bit his hand off. I returned with cash and a mate with his car trailer and the seller gave me the service book and a number of receipts, 4 old MOT's and the V5 showing his father was the second owner and had the car since 2003. tax ran out in August 07.

The car is now with a local mechanic for a once over and a service before the MOT.

So my lovely LS400 is up for sale (it's going on ebay later tonight) but basically 226k, service history, DHP wheels, excellent out and in bar a few marks and scuffs on the front bumper, the radio backlight not working and the brake pad warning light on all the time. MOT'd and Taxed to.

Not telling us how much you paid is like tearing the last page out of a gripping novel before its read :duh: !!!

So my lovely LS400 is up for sale (it's going on ebay later tonight) but basically 226k, service history, DHP wheels, excellent out and in bar a few marks and scuffs on the front bumper, the radio backlight not working and the brake pad warning light on all the time. MOT'd and Taxed to.

Not telling us how much you paid is like tearing the last page out of a gripping novel before its read :duh: !!!

I recon it was £800 no mot & tax standing a few years. Higher or lower????? :sick: with envy

I recon it was £800 no mot & tax standing a few years. Higher or lower????? :sick: with envy

Not that cheap (unfortunately) aas the owners son did have some grasp of values, but well, well, well under book price. This allows me some money as contingency should something be awry.

No photos as car with mechanic-and I'm working away next week, so won't see it for ages!

Not that cheap (unfortunately) aas the owners son did have some grasp of values, but well, well, well under book price. This allows me some money as contingency should something be awry.

No photos as car with mechanic-and I'm working away next week, so won't see it for ages!

Poor excuse :hehe:

Had to pick up my broken down Fireblade this morning and on the way home I dropped in on my mechanic mate to find the 430 on the lift partially stripped. Bad news as basically the air suspension is shot (maybe due to non-use?) and I saw there is lots of oil on the rear units and the front have signs of leaking at the top when the cover was removed. He said he checked the ride height when I took it in and found the rear offside unit was an inch lower than the left, and when pressing the ride height switch he thought the compressor was a bit on the noisy side. All four tyres are badly cracked and perished on the inner wall (not obvious from my initial check) so all need replacing. Likewise the front pads need replacing as near enough down to the limit. And a couple of interior bulbs are out and thats was all the bad news.

He hasn't done the MOT as it won't pass because of the tyres but mechanically he says she is perfect.

So I was faced with a dilemma-fix or not? I can hardly complain as I got the car very cheaply. We discussed the suspension options-the choices are either to replace like for like with original Lexus units or remove the whole air suspension system and fit normal shocks and springs, either Lexus or aftermarket coilovers. All options are going to be expensive, and not just the parts but labour costs too.

He really likes the car and said he has spent a few hours checking all the lexus forums with regard to the suspension issues. He has some ideas for the car and speculatively made me an offer for it as it is. I thought about it-figuring the costs of the suspension, 4 new tyres and paint repairs tyres means more outlay than I had wanted to invest, plus the time it will take to do, so I accepted his offer.

I've actually come out with a hefty profit as his offer was a fair bit more that I paid out-all it has cost me is a few drinks for the borrow of a towcar and trailer and a few hours of my time. Sure he may well fix it up and sell it on but doubt he will as it seems he really likes the car enough to do this work for himself. Trade discounts, contacts and his labour being free will keep his costs down.

Sadly my LS400 was sold on eBay last night (buyer got a great car) and the guy says he will pick it up on Monday :( so will have to look for another now. 400 or a 430 will be a difficult choice, but in no hurry.

This week if I had fallen into a bucket of t*ts, I would not be coming out sucking my thumb!

• 3 weeks later...

God works in a mysterious way!

The bloke that "won" my car on eBay didn't show up, and rang to say it was because he couldn't get insurance (despite him assuring me that there was no problem with anything before I accepted his bid).

So I can keep my LS400 after all.

Maybe this and the brief and failed ownership of the LS430 is there to prove I have to keep this one.

A blessing in disguise maybe?

I did a similar thing, I bought a Ford Explorer 4.0 and tried to sell me LS. People were asking silly questions about the suspension and exhaust, even though it had just passed the MOT. In the end, I decided to advertise both, and the Explorer sold....albeit for £600 less than it owed me :(

I took this as a message from above to keep the LS.

Thanks

Mike