Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi i have finally taken the plunge and bought a nice white IS-F. Coming from an Astra it's quite a jump!

I am loving it right now, the noise, the speed, the style!

As i am new to the car is there anything i should look out for? or anything i should get done. I hear alot about ceramic brakes, being more effective at braking and have no brake dust, is this worth while? and where do i get them from?

Also is there any way i can use the sat nav while on the move? kind of annoying when you have to pull over somewhere just to change your destination.

Thanks,

Sim

Hi i have finally taken the plunge and bought a nice white IS-F. Coming from an Astra it's quite a jump!

As i am new to the car is there anything i should look out for? or anything i should get done. I hear alot about ceramic brakes, being more effective at braking and have no brake dust, is this worth while? and where do i get them from?

Also is there any way i can use the sat nav while on the move? kind of annoying when you have to pull over somewhere just to change your destination.

Thanks,

Sim

The only real thing to watch is that the sides of the car get coated/embedded with brake-dust/metal-particles because of the way the air flows. The metal particles rust if not removed, which looks especially bad against white paint. This is a problem for a year or two until the paint toughens up. The wheels can also get to look "rusty" at the rims for the same reason and the front alloys always quickly coat with black dust. Maybe ceramic brakes would help this although their improved performance is probably not going to be necessary.

Take great care never to scrape the black-chrome alloy rim-edges against kerbs etc. There is no specific touch-up paint from Lexus for them.

Also, avoid allowing the front of the car to ride up over tallish kerbs in car-parks, because when you back off the under-lip can catch and pull the front bumper assy away!

The ISF is crap in proper snow. Apart from the poor traction you would expect with RWD & wide wheels etc, there is not enough ground clearance for fresh snow of any real depth.

I understand a SatNav update allows change on the move. Frankly, I think that this is generally dangerous anyway - close to equivalent to texting on the move.

So no big issues. Just enjoy. You will probably even find it isn't as thirsty as you expected, and the Auto is so good that you will seldom use the paddles except for fun.

Thanks,

Sim

As fjcfarrar as mentioned, the front brake pads produce a lot of dust that can initiate corrosion of the alloys and bodywork. The excessive dusting isn't only a problem with the IS-F as all the second generation IS's suffer a similar problem, and Lexus have made pads available with ceramic based friction material for the IS250/350 following complaints, but not for the IS-F and only in the USA.

I have Hawk ceramic pads in the front calipers of my IS-F, and although I haven't noticed they are any more effective in braking than the OEM pads the brake dust produced by the pads is greatly reduced. The Hawk pads are only available in the USA, but they may ship to the UK (I purchased mine in Texas and carried them back in the luggage). The Hawk website is http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts/ and as you can see there are now four types of pad to choose from for the IS-F. The pads I have on mine are part number HB616Z.607.

The satnav can be made available for use on the move by swopping your earlier disc for a version E12. If you know someone with a E12 disc it's a simple matter to install and remove as the later disc will reprogramme the system which then allows changes on the move when you replace it with your older version. Alternatively purchase the update http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/

Thanks,

Sim

As fjcfarrar as mentioned, the front brake pads produce a lot of dust that can initiate corrosion of the alloys and bodywork. The excessive dusting isn't only a problem with the IS-F as all the second generation IS's suffer a similar problem, and Lexus have made pads available with ceramic based friction material for the IS250/350 following complaints, but not for the IS-F and only in the USA.

I have Hawk ceramic pads in the front calipers of my IS-F, and although I haven't noticed they are any more effective in braking than the OEM pads the brake dust produced by the pads is greatly reduced. The Hawk pads are only available in the USA, but they may ship to the UK (I purchased mine in Texas and carried them back in the luggage). The Hawk website is http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts/ and as you can see there are now four types of pad to choose from for the IS-F. The pads I have on mine are part number HB616Z.607.

The satnav can be made available for use on the move by swopping your earlier disc for a version E12. If you know someone with a E12 disc it's a simple matter to install and remove as the later disc will reprogramme the system which then allows changes on the move when you replace it with your older version. Alternatively purchase the update http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/

I think the E11 discs have the unlock included, so you can just buy or borrow an E11 disc to unlock the sat nav. It is true that the unlock will remain even if you swap the disc back to an older version, however if your Battery gets disconnected, the Sat Nav I think reloads the firmware from the DVD and it will re-lock itself. You better off just buying E11 discs cheap of eBay (make sure you buy original ones and not "Remanufactured" ones!)

Yeah i expected the snow performance wouldn't be that good being RWD. I have noticed alot of brake dust, i might consider getting them brake pads especially if they produce less dust. Can i get lexus to fit them or does it have to be an independant garage?

I have to admit the fuel consumption isn;t as bad as i thought! I'm at 25mpg right now from some spirited driving combined with sensible driving! I love that noise when it goes over 3700rpm or so!

I will look into the sat nav disks, i was lost one time with a passenger and we had to pull over onto the hard shoulder just to get our destination reset! would be alot easier if my passenger could have changed it while driving!

Thank for the advice guys! i really appreciate it.

Brilliant thanks for the advice, i purchased a new E13 sat nav disk and this rectified the problem! I can now use sat nav while on the move!

So far 2 weeks with the car and i'm loving it. Its a very rare car, never seen another on the road!