Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Is200 Sport Called Izzy

Hey all,

not sure how it works here but it the Celica forums most people have one thread where all their work etc is posted to less mess and easier to keep track. I thought i'd do the same here. Hope I don't break any rules.

Here goes.

Bought the car last week. Black IS200 Sport with high miles, but good service history and good paint etc. This is my daily driver but will evolve into something special hopefully. I have been known to turbo charge a car or two, and it might well be on the cards but that's later in life.

Since I bought her, I have replaced the side lights, removed the tow bar and jet washed the engine bay. Next week I will do a service and replace the plugs with NGKs and paint the calipers. (unsure whether to go with black, blue or silver). Red is not an option.

The CD player is not working so it has a standalone Kenwood CD changer through the radio, but I have plans for the audio later in the summer.

IMG00091-20110410-1800.jpg

IMG00093-20110412-1433.jpg

Engine bay before

IMG00096-20110414-1716.jpg

after

IMG00112-20110416-1542.jpg

My mate tony helping with removing the tow bar

IMG00097-20110416-1427.jpg

The offending 15kg item

IMG00099-20110416-1440.jpg

general cleaning with Tony's EG6 Civic. He has a turbo EG as well.

IMG00113-20110416-1647.jpg

Mum's MB6 Civic VTi

IMG00114-20110416-1648.jpg

I would like to know once and for all if the Auto Leads facia will delete my traction control and heated seats switched. (read somewhere).

Here are my plans for the car.

Front strut bar

Rear strut bar

Replace bushes

quick shift and TRD or GReddy Gear knob

IS300 cat back system

Gut out pre cats and leave the standard one in place

lower 40mm

4300K HIDs

tinted rear lights

fit my Pioneer iPod / Bluetooth head unit

front MB Quart components

Rear coaxials

4 channel amp to run front and rear speakers with fresh wiring

2 channel amp for subwoofer

general maintainance as and when they need doing

change interior illumination lights to blue LEDs (I have NO idea how to do this)

paint some engine and interior plastics silver, or black again.

Please add any comments and advice. I have read through several threads over the last few weeks but would like to hear from people who have already done bits.

Cheers.

Jason.

Autoleads fascia does NOT require you to remove any buttons...

IMAG0480.jpg

When you say blue LED interior, are you thinking of something like this?

IMAG0494.jpg

Or are you thinking the whole shebang including heater unit controls, glovebox light, map light etc? As those all take a bunch of different bulbs.

Couple of suggestions? TTE/TRD kit always looks sweet...

Thanks Mark.

Dave, with the dash I will say baby steps. Will start with the lights similar to your pic, but will like to do the heater dials as well.

I have a technical mind, but not very good with fiddly bits. Is it quite straight forward?

The centre console (including heaters) should only be attempted if you're comfortable with a soldering iron. I'm not, but I know a man who is, and shortly my heater, clock and snow/trc/heated seat buttons will all be blue...

I have a PDF that explains how to do it, but I can't attach it to the forum - if you PM me your email address I'll forward it to you. It does look very fiddly though...

Think your plans are sounding good by the way...

Piece of cake. One screw down around the knee, then pop the trim forward a bit. Undo the two screws inside the dash shroud and lift it off (there's a plug on the back connected to the dimmer switch for the lights you will need to undo). Undo the 3 screws holding the perspex bit of dash in and it will just need pulled forward, and the two plugs on the back unclipped.

You'll lose the trip mileage on unclipping the clocks but nothing else.

Follow the process as described here with pics :)

LOL yes indeed. I thought I would take advantage of the long weekend and ordered the stereo facia and amp bypass wiring kit from Car Audio Direct. Hopefully be delivered by thursday.

Quick question, once my Pioneer HU is fitted with the bypass lead, will the rears be deleted or will they sound awful due to the difference in impedance.

Hopefully next month I will order a 6.5 inch rear speaker conversion kit from US eBay and install a pair of 6.5 coaxials, all powered by my 4ch amplifier.

Coming along slowly but surely.

Cheers.

J

Cheers mate.

Usually I only have front speakers and they always run off an amp.

After much reading today, I thought I will use my 4 ch amp for fronts, and with a spacer fit a new set of 6 x 9's. I swore to myself 5 years ago I would never use 6 x 9's but I guess this is a straight swap bar a spacer, so not 'chav'.

Hopefully, the amped 6 x 9's would give me enough mid bass to not yearn for a sub.

Time will tell.

Thanks.

J

Hey mate, what colour have you ended up painting your calipers? I chose to paint mine black after a month of indecision. Its not that noticeable but it certainly smartens up the car with a more subtle look instead of red calipers like every other young lads car. Let me know how you get on with the 6x9's, I've got a sony xav60 with a bypass lead and thats it, and the sound quality is alright at the moment but distorts if I want it loud.dry.gif

Hi Charl. I see you are in Kent. I'm based at Lakeside.

Well, thing is I want matt black wheels so I have decided to paint the calipers shiny silver with black decals. That way one has to really look to notice and it will not stand out too much...almost OEM.

I will keep you posted on the 6 x 9s buddy. I have seen some 12mm MDF spacers on eBay for both front and rear. I think you will get rid of the distortion by amping up your speakers for a less stressed system and cleaner sound.

I just discovered an annoying rattle from the engine compartment at low speeds. sounds tinny. Will investigate and report.

J

Hello all.

Well today I decided to start on part one of the sound system. I fitted the amp bypass loom, deleted the OEM amp and OEM head unit and removed the rather excellent Kenwood universal CD changer that the previous owner must have fitted after seeing the dreaded ERR3.

Here goes it in pics.

IMG00121-20110422-1212.jpg

IMG00120-20110422-1154.jpg

The Head unit

IMG00122-20110422-1346.jpg

Microphone

IMG00123-20110422-1346.jpg

iPod

IMG00124-20110422-1346.jpg

remote

IMG00126-20110422-1348.jpg

The sound is good and a bit bassy, but the stock speakers have to go.

Part two will be to install my InPhase 4 channel amp under the passenger seat, and run the new OFC cables through the doors to the new components. I will then run another pair of speaker wires to the rear to power a new pair of 6 x 9's mounted on 12mm MDF spacers. With budget and everything in mind, I'm thinking JBL but only time will tell after a chat with Colin at Car Audio Direct.

Tomorrow, I'm taking her to the workshop for an oil and filter change. I did not buy an air filter as I plan to make my own towards the passenger side headlight and I will get some new plugs.

Thanks for looking / reading.

Jason.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jason, welcome to the club.

I see you have got started on some of the common mods, and it's looking good.

The offending 15kg item

Do you have this offensive item cluttering up your shed/garage? I may be interested in taking it off your hands for a couple of quid? I'm having to sell a Land Rover to fund my latest charged Lexus, but sometimes I just need to tow!

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that you are much better off going for the Denso spark plugs from Toyota rather than the NGKs.

I think this is the accepted knowledge around here, get them for eBay though if you don't want to pay dealer prices.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all,

not sure how it works here but it the Celica forums most people have one thread where all their work etc is posted to less mess and easier to keep track. I thought i'd do the same here. Hope I don't break any rules.

Here goes.

Bought the car last week. Black IS200 Sport with high miles, but good service history and good paint etc. This is my daily driver but will evolve into something special hopefully. I have been known to turbo charge a car or two, and it might well be on the cards but that's later in life.

Since I bought her, I have replaced the side lights, removed the tow bar and jet washed the engine bay. Next week I will do a service and replace the plugs with NGKs and paint the calipers. (unsure whether to go with black, blue or silver). Red is not an option.

The CD player is not working so it has a standalone Kenwood CD changer through the radio, but I have plans for the audio later in the summer.

IMG00091-20110410-1800.jpg

IMG00093-20110412-1433.jpg

Engine bay before

IMG00096-20110414-1716.jpg

after

IMG00112-20110416-1542.jpg

My mate tony helping with removing the tow bar

IMG00097-20110416-1427.jpg

The offending 15kg item

general cleaning with Tony's EG6 Civic. He has a turbo EG as well.

IMG00113-20110416-1647.jpg

Mum's MB6 Civic VTi

IMG00114-20110416-1648.jpg

I would like to know once and for all if the Auto Leads facia will delete my traction control and heated seats switched. (read somewhere).

Here are my plans for the car.

Front strut bar

Rear strut bar

Replace bushes

quick shift and TRD or GReddy Gear knob

IS300 cat back system

Gut out pre cats and leave the standard one in place

lower 40mm

4300K HIDs

tinted rear lights

fit my Pioneer iPod / Bluetooth head unit

front MB Quart components

Rear coaxials

4 channel amp to run front and rear speakers with fresh wiring

2 channel amp for subwoofer

general maintainance as and when they need doing

change interior illumination lights to blue LEDs (I have NO idea how to do this)

paint some engine and interior plastics silver, or black again.

Please add any comments and advice. I have read through several threads over the last few weeks but would like to hear from people who have already done bits.

Cheers.

Jason.

What did you use to clean engine mate

She's spotless