Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

100,000 Mile Servicing + Possible Shocks

Need some advice from the experts here.

I have a Lexus Is200 sport. 54 reg. Its coming upto 100,000 mile :msn-cry: The good old car has never let me down and still drives and looks like its brand new. Its never missed a service. Last service i was told that the front shocks was leaking a small amount. I said ok and about 6 months later i had its mot and i was told the same thing. So i guess i better get them changed.

The question is, should i get them done with the service or will i save a fortune in getting a local garage fit them this week and next week get the servicing done by lexus?

I havnt got a clue when it comes to prices, but im thinking that if everything is done under £1000 :msn-cry: then i should?!?! be happy :whistling:

Thanks for any advice given.

At 100k miles I would question the financial wisdom of having your car serviced by Lexus. I don't think that a future buyer will pay any more money for a full Lexus service history over a full service history. I would just find a good independent and let them do the lot. It will save you a fortune.

Incidentally, I have been told that Lexus don't replace shock absorbers with Lexus shock absorbers, just Lexus "approved" shock absorbers. So the chances aee your independent garage will use the same parts from the same supplier. Prices could be different though.

Incidentally, I have been told that Lexus don't replace shock absorbers with Lexus shock absorbers, just Lexus "approved" shock absorbers. So the chances aee your independent garage will use the same parts from the same supplier. Prices could be different though.

I dont know about the Lexus dealers you have used but we never use non-genuine parts on any car we work on :o and I personally would steer clear of any dealer found to be doing so.

Andy

Ah, i never really thought about it being done at some other place. It doesn't seem that long ago that it had alot of stuff replaced. I looked at selling it not so long ago but the prices on cars 2 litre and above has just gone nuts. I might aswell just hold onto it and run it for another 100,000 miles. There is no other car that is better on fuel that has the same luxury as an is200 for a decent price i feel. I do mainly motorway driving if that info helps. Thats why it has the high mileage.

So should i just look at getting the following done by a small garage?:-

The front shocks

Oil and Filter changed

Timing Belt

Anything else?

It is important that you get your car serviced according to the Lexus service schedule for your age of IS200 and mileage. The size of the garage is not important but their competence and familiarity with the IS200 is important. If your car has been Lexus maintained, it should have had the timing belt replaced at 60K miles (check your receipts). It will be due for its next one in 20K miles or 6 years from its last change whichever comes first.

I think your right to keep the car. Sure you could sell it for some ridiculous price and pay thousands for something more economical, but you would miss the IS200 for all the reasons you have said.

When our IS200 was 5 years old, we made enquiries about p/exing it for a new IS250. Dispite its full Lexus Service History the Lexus dealer wasn't interested, so we kept it. The dealer did us a favour.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links