Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Strut Rod Torque (Cracked My Workshop Cd)

k1elliott

Afternoon all.

I'm about to embark on front strut rod replacement for my 95 LS400.

Problem is I broke the workshop manual taking it out of the case (never copied the files either - lesson learned) (Goddam new laptops with no optical drive)

Anyway, could someone please chip in with the torque settings for the bushing end of the arm please? Also, I assume it needs to be torqued with normal weight on the suspension ?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

(edit) I got the spec for the arm end from lexls

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all.

I swapped out the strut rods yesterday to discover a badly damaged bolt/pin on the rod with the more worn bsuhing.

The threads were completely destroyed and the nut itself was in a bad way. I reckon total failure was within 10k miles.

If you experience a heavy thud on sudden breaking or knocking over ramps etc during breaking then you could do worse than check the state of the rubbers and swap them out if worn.

strut.jpg

Kind Regards,

Wow!!! Weird iI've just had my bushings done today and it's totally cured my knocking over bumps. Braking is smoother.

They replaced the large bush at the front end of the arm (above jack handle in pic). I suppose different things can cause knocking but this worked for me.

Cheers Steve.

Wow!!! Weird iI've just had my bushings done today and it's totally cured my knocking over bumps. Braking is smoother.

They replaced the large bush at the front end of the arm (above jack handle in pic). I suppose different things can cause knocking but this worked for me.

Cheers Steve.

Glad to hear you got it all done OK :)

Andy

Cheers Steve.

Glad to hear you got it all done OK :)

Andy

Yes andy, many thanks,. Garage said it was relatively straight forward, and the handling is now clunk free and as smooth as it should be. If I'd have known what difference it would make I'd have one this ages ago. I'm enjoying the magic carpet all over again. Even the misses commented on it lol.

Garage told me to let the suspension settle in for a couple of weeks then get four wheel alignment done making sure they check the castor angle.

So I'm guessing although they marked all the bolts in and out it pays to just have it spot on.

Steve