Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Increase Your Mileage In Few Steps

Many people have problem with the consumption, so I decided I write couple of lines, how to reach higher MPG.

Please note: everything written here is applicable to standard (non-sport) model IS220d. I have covered almost 50.000 miles with consumption in my signature.

First of all, what consumption can you reach?

Urban traffic: 37 – 28 MPG (7,5-10 l/100km)

Extra urban at 65 mph (100km/h) – 5th gear: 51 MPG (5.5 l/100km)

Motorway at 75 mph (120km/h) – 5th gear: 47 MPG (6.0 l/100km)

Motorway at 81 mph (130km/h) – 5th gear: 43 MPG (6.5 l/100km)

Motorway at 90 mph (145km/h) – 6th gear: 37 MPG (7.5 l/100km)

In winter times (temperature below 3 degrees) the consumption rises (mpg decreases) by 5-10 MPG (0,5-2 l/100km) – depends on frequency of cold starts. Similar in very hot days (over 30) and short drives, where A/C goes on full power to cool down the interior.

So – what to do?

1. servicing – have the EGR cleaned; maintain correct tire pressure;change the air filter every large service (every 20.000 miles / 30.000km) not every second as writes the manual

2. refuelling – you do not need to buy premium diesel, but avoid buying cheap supermarket diesel

3. before changing your driving style (point 4) do following – deconnect the car Battery (minus pole is enough) for whole night*. This will reset some values in ECU and for next couple of miles it will be in learning mode, so it will accommodate quickly to new driving style. Do not to accelerate hard for next 30-40 miles.

4. everyday driving: keep rather higher revs then low, e.g. on 4th, 5th and 6th gear never accelerate under 2.000rpm. Lowest revs for maintaining speed are: on 3rd at 1.600rpm, 4th 1.800rpm, 5th 1.900rpm, 6th 2.100rpm. With full load increase by ~200rpm.

The worse driving style is requiring high power out of low revs – e.g. on 4th at 1.600rpm – lot of fuel goes in the engine without effect, MPG is terrible and the car sluggish. Also, with under revved engine you can not feel your foot movement, because slight change of pedal doesn’t reflect in acceleration, but it does in consumption…

If you need to accelerate quickly, go over 2.500rpm. 2.500-3.500 is ideal for overtaking etc…

5. for reasonable MPG in urban driving, you do not need to be slow, just think. This car has excellently small wind drag and it is very heavy – use it where possible. Between the lights you can go 300-500 meters on neutral gear and the speed will decrease from 38 mph to 33 mph (60-52 km/h)

And this is all.

When monitoring your actual MPG, reset AVG manually. (TANK AVG resets automatically after every fill-up, but AVG never resets automatically - only manually)

When you reset the ECU and make ~50 miles, try small test – warm engine, ~15 degrees, no wind, plain road, set 3rd, go 38mph (60km/h), set cruise, reset AVG and you should be able to reach 67 – 74 MPG (3.8-4.2 l/100km). If not, there might be problem elsewhere.

Good luck.

* you won’t be able to lock the car with the remote, only with the key, so be careful. Actually, it is not needed to have it deconnect all night, but 5 minutes is not enough. How much is enough – I don’t know, but whole night works.

• Like 5

i have a sc 430 and have just put fuel saver magnets on it gone from 19 ave to 24,4 my wifes type s civic 2.2 tdci last 3 yrs returned 34-6 ave now with fuel savers 54 mpg and not going over 2000 revs ....

Wow, What a great amount of effort you've put in on this my friend. It is a great guide and will improve invaluable to most I'm sure. Thanks a lot, I'll continue to use the tips.

Col

Hi Matus

Both you and I have been on this forum preaching that the driving style in VITAL when using the 220D whilst I haven't done the Battery disconnect I have achieved 43mpg overall since I first owned the 220D Brand new out of the box.

I have now done 99000klm I have kept a record of many things on a spreadsheet I have every litre of diesel recorded.

I too always get the EGR cleaned when I service, always change the oil and air filter....I service religiously evry 15000klms...short interval I know BUT I get the return from the car.

I remember back in the early days when individuals were getting only 27-30 out of the car....they were literally calling us liars with out 40-44 mpg returns.

I gave up commenting on the forum but I am refreshed by the fact that you have stuck to the principal of learning the style that works with the car. Others amazed by what you and I knew from the start.

Rev this car high and drive in accelerated spurts dashing everywhere and you'll need an oil tanker following you...well done interesting post.

I must check my signature but currently 43 mpg over 99000klms

Well put Matus.

MPG rules apply to any vehicle. Just DRIVE SENSIBLY and THOUGHTFULLY, and anticipate the road ahead.

Keep your foot light on the throttle and you will use less fuel, and use your engine revs wisely. If you have a turbo you will burn through your fuel quickly with a heavy throttle foot. Avoid any unnecessary use of A/C. Open the window a tad and create a movement of air. Use the Cruise control feature, a lot of drivers dont know how to operate it! Read the manual its easy. I don't use 6th gear very much at all ( its OK on the continent) as 70 is a bit out of kilter with 6th gear for my ears.

You will be amazed how many speedy charlies pass you with belching exhaust pipes,only to appear 2 minutes later two car lengths in front at the next set of lights!

I don't drive around like grandad but I get 38-40 mpg on my short run to work. On a trip I get 54-56 with ease.

It's great to see sensible information being passed on by knowledgable members who are also obviousily good drivers too. I must say I am so happy with my IS220D.

Col.

Well put Matus.

MPG rules apply to any vehicle. Just DRIVE SENSIBLY and THOUGHTFULLY, and anticipate the road ahead.

Keep your foot light on the throttle and you will use less fuel, and use your engine revs wisely. If you have a turbo you will burn through your fuel quickly with a heavy throttle foot. Avoid any unnecessary use of A/C. Open the window a tad and create a movement of air. Use the Cruise control feature, a lot of drivers dont know how to operate it! Read the manual its easy. I don't use 6th gear very much at all ( its OK on the continent) as 70 is a bit out of kilter with 6th gear for my ears.

You will be amazed how many speedy charlies pass you with belching exhaust pipes,only to appear 2 minutes later two car lengths in front at the next set of lights!

I don't drive around like grandad but I get 38-40 mpg on my short run to work. On a trip I get 54-56 with ease.

Thanks for your exhaustive research Matus.

I'd like to know how this translates to a 220D Sport but I suppose there are some general common sense rules that we can follow. It would be interesting to know what revs you should change up at to maintain the revs you refer to at different gears for point 4.

Great post but as 6th gear the economy gear should it not be getting better mileage at 70/75.

Here is a question i have to travel from glasgow to birmingham and back which is a 600 mile trip my tank says i can go 543mls when full can i mke it.

• 3 weeks later...

When you reset the ECU and make ~50 miles, try small test – warm engine, ~15 degrees, no wind, plain road, set 3rd, go 38mph (60km/h), set cruise, reset AVG and you should be able to reach 67 – 74 MPG (3.8-4.2 l/100km). If not, there might be problem elsewhere.

Did this test...getting 8.7L/100km...today I gave the car back to the service for the third time in 3 weeks (due to poor MPG). This time, they took it for all day. Let's see what they managed to find.

Thanks

I didnt reset the ECU, but changed my driving style. What a difference. In town I was getting 32MPG. Now get 38. On Mpotor way I was getting 37MPG now getting 45.

I'll try resetting the ECU and see if that makes any difference as well.

But thanks again, it was very helpful

has anyone tried this?

matus,i have a 200d for a day on the 25th.i will apply your motorway test to the 200d and to my 220d for a comparison.

Jumping from a petrol to a new IS200D for a day, I found it drove much better than the IS220D, with gear ratios etc seeming better matched to the engine etc. I would be interested in how you find the comparison.

Hi Matus,

thanks for your advacies, I really appreciate them.

How would you describe the optimal (fuel saver) accelleration?

What do you think about the following?

1st gear: up to 2600-2700rpm than

2nd gear: up to about 2600-2700rpm than

3rd gear: from about 1600rpm to like 2700rpm

Do you think I should go higher?

When driving at about 120-130km/h (75-80mph) I was always using 6th gear, but I will try the 5th instead and hope will get some better compsumption.

2all: how to pin this topic?

I agree, this is one of the best posts I have read here.

Matus, just did your test: 8km (I know thats not a long trip) at about 58km/h (1700-1800rpm at 3rd gear) avg --> 4.4l/100 according to the board computer (with brand new cat and cleaned EGR, outside temperature 25C no wind). I think everything is fine with the car, though my avg consumption in the city is 9.4/100 without AC (sunroof open, thats way better at about 25-26C for my taste).

Thanks for your advacies.

my pleasure.

it is difficult to estimate "correct" consumption in the city, because there are many variables. I can go through city with 5.5l/100km and also 11l/100km - depends on the traffic.

• 1 month later...

I have had several discussion about this with egukem:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/368010.html

As we are from the same country, I was curious how he does that. He is using the car at low revs, even at like 1100-1200. I was curious too if this has any negative effect on the car or not, he told me this is absolutely safe for the engine.

I am not an expert of mechanics, and I am not using the car normally under 1300-1400rpm, but from what I have read on the internet it is safe to use the car at steady speed from about 1200rpm. (If you start the engine you will see 700-800rmp as "base rev" - dont know the exact english term for this - you should add 500rpm to this)

Do you think this has any negative effect on the car though?

1200rpm is OK on 1st or 2nd gear. 3rd is able to pull the car, but very slowly. 4th, 5th, 6th? Never! Engine struggles - which is normal - these revs are not suited for driving. When the engine vibrates, DMF has hard work. It's lifetime is limited and more work it has, sooner it will have to be replaced.

I wouldn't recommend drive like this to anyone.

PS: driving on low rews decreases the lifetime also:

1. crankshaft bearing

2. pistons and cylinders ovality increases sooner, which means loss of pressure and increased oil consumption

Hello Matus,

this is my first post in the forum, so hello everybody :-)

I am a Spaniard living in Germany (since too many years already) and proud owner of a Lexus IS250 Sport since one year ago. I use my nickname everywhere, so you can find me in the German Lexus Owners Club and in several Hi-Fi Forums to find out a lot about me ;-)

3. before changing your driving style (point 4) do following – deconnect the car battery (minus pole is enough) for whole night*. This will reset some values in ECU and for next couple of miles it will be in learning mode, so it will accommodate quickly to new driving style. Do not to accelerate hard for next 30-40 miles.

Actually, in the German Lexus Owners club has been explained that there is no learning mode for the driving style, but just the on-board computer logging the exact parameters of the engine to optimize performance. I only drive my Lexus, no idea what is under the hood (but I like it, hehe), but this is contradictory information. I am confused...

4. everyday driving: keep rather higher revs then low, e.g. on 4th, 5th and 6th gear never accelerate under 2.000rpm. Lowest revs for maintaining speed are: on 3rd at 1.600rpm, 4th 1.800rpm, 5th 1.900rpm, 6th 2.100rpm. With full load increase by ~200rpm.

The worse driving style is requiring high power out of low revs – e.g. on 4th at 1.600rpm – lot of fuel goes in the engine without effect, MPG is terrible and the car sluggish. Also, with under revved engine you can not feel your foot movement, because slight change of pedal doesn’t reflect in acceleration, but it does in consumption…

If you need to accelerate quickly, go over 2.500rpm. 2.500-3.500 is ideal for overtaking etc…

Maybe this is good for the diesel, but definately not for the petrol engine, where I do not go beyond 2000rpm often when trying to drive sparingly. And I am sure the automatic gearbox works fine and tends to keep revs between 1200 and 1800. I also have reasonable mileage values.

5. for reasonable MPG in urban driving, you do not need to be slow, just think. This car has excellently small wind drag and it is very heavy – use it where possible. Between the lights you can go 300-500 meters on neutral gear and the speed will decrease from 38 mph to 33 mph (60-52 km/h)

Never use neutral gear when driving. First of all it is dangerous, and on top of this, you will actually increase consumption when doing so. Use a long gear instead. At least that is what experts at ADAC (sort of the German AA) claim (among others) and it makes sense from a technical point of view (it has been measured too, AFAIK).

I do not mean to be a smart-*****, although I know it is a strong entry I am doing here ;-) Specially because I am not an expert by any means, but rather an ignorant quoting what I think I have learnt. So be kind :-D