Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Increase Your Mileage In Few Steps

3. before changing your driving style (point 4) do following – deconnect the car battery (minus pole is enough) for whole night*. This will reset some values in ECU and for next couple of miles it will be in learning mode, so it will accommodate quickly to new driving style. Do not to accelerate hard for next 30-40 miles.

Actually, in the German Lexus Owners club has been explained that there is no learning mode for the driving style, but just the on-board computer logging the exact parameters of the engine to optimize performance. I only drive my Lexus, no idea what is under the hood (but I like it, hehe), but this is contradictory information. I am confused...

the information about learning mode I wrote I do not have from any technical material or from lexus. I've never ask them. It comes from my experience with my car and also I confirmed myself with other Lexus IS, which I took for a drive. (the owner has high consumption and did not believe it is possible to reach my numbers).

I did drive my style, but the results started to show up after 30 kilometers or so. On the other hand I have to say, that his car was more responsive. So I believe, that there is a learning mode, or re-calibration mode, or something like that.

4. everyday driving: keep rather higher revs then low, e.g. on 4th, 5th and 6th gear never accelerate under 2.000rpm. Lowest revs for maintaining speed are: on 3rd at 1.600rpm, 4th 1.800rpm, 5th 1.900rpm, 6th 2.100rpm. With full load increase by ~200rpm.

Maybe this is good for the diesel, but definately not for the petrol engine

you're right, petrol engine needs different style of driving.

5. for reasonable MPG in urban driving, you do not need to be slow, just think. This car has excellently small wind drag and it is very heavy – use it where possible. Between the lights you can go 300-500 meters on neutral gear and the speed will decrease from 38 mph to 33 mph (60-52 km/h)

Never use neutral gear when driving. First of all it is dangerous, and on top of this, you will actually increase consumption when doing so. Use a long gear instead. At least that is what experts at ADAC (sort of the German AA) claim (among others) and it makes sense from a technical point of view (it has been measured too, AFAIK).

this claim is applicable for downhill driving, where it may be dangerous going on neutral (overheating brakes) and the claim with consumption is also correct (on neutral car consumps 1-2litres per hour, while going with gear without gas means 0 consumption).

However, on straight road it is not dangerous and regarding consumption - if you want to use car inertia, it is up to the situation, whether use gear or not. For longer distance is better neutral - because you won't cover it with gear in, this means you will have to press accelerator and you will certainly have higher consumption than 1-2litres per hour (the absolutly lowest consumption I can reach on straight road is about 3.8l/100km)

For shorter distance, for consumption matter it is better to brake also with the engine - but driver needs to be sensitive, otherwise the DMF flywheel may be stressed and this is very expensive part, this is why I do not recommend to brake too much with the engine.

For average driver - brake with the engine only when going downhill.

Well put Matus.

MPG rules apply to any vehicle. Just DRIVE SENSIBLY and THOUGHTFULLY, and anticipate the road ahead.

Keep your foot light on the throttle and you will use less fuel, and use your engine revs wisely. If you have a turbo you will burn through your fuel quickly with a heavy throttle foot. Avoid any unnecessary use of A/C. Open the window a tad and create a movement of air. Use the Cruise control feature, a lot of drivers dont know how to operate it! Read the manual its easy. I don't use 6th gear very much at all ( its OK on the continent) as 70 is a bit out of kilter with 6th gear for my ears.

You will be amazed how many speedy charlies pass you with belching exhaust pipes,only to appear 2 minutes later two car lengths in front at the next set of lights!

I don't drive around like grandad but I get 38-40 mpg on my short run to work. On a trip I get 54-56 with ease.

Quite agree with this and with the OP but just one thing - I bought a car with A/C and I like A/C so it seems a bit pointless to open windows (increasing drag too) just to try to do the Mobil Economy Run. What I'm saying is that mpg isn't the only holy grail, I want to enjoy my motoring too! Like you, I get 38ish on normal short runs but rarely reach 50mpg on a long trip even using cruise.

I think that some people, me included, bought the 220d expecting it to behave like a bog standard diesel but it doesn't. You can't tootle around at low revs and you can't pull away like I used to in an Avensis and get 45 around town. But now I've got into the swing of it a bit more I realise that you use 3rd as your urban gear and 5th as your A road gear with 4th for overtaking. It is not a traffic light racer but it is superb at overtaking slow movers on country roads if you get the gear and the revs right. The revs do need to be kept up especially on the gear change. Actually keeping some revs on in the 1st to 2nd change can even stop some of the dreaded clunk.

I'm certainly not advocating no use of the A/C. I was referring to 'unnecessary' use of A/C, and opening the windows a 'tad'. Some folk I have noticed, just put it on all the time without thought. This is just plain daft in the UK. If its sweltering or cold, damp and steamy, then fine put it on, I would.

You are right about keeping up revs between gear changes to avoid that 'clunk of notchiness', also try pushing the clutch pedal down just a wee bit more forceful. Not a lot. You dont need to try and shove your foot thru the front bumper!! Every car/4x4 type I have driven with the DMF responds better by doing this. Now I've got the hang of it I get no notchiness at all now.

Maybe I'm just lucky with the set up on my car, but I get 54-57 at 73mph in 5th using cruise control on the motorway.

I don't wish to get too bogged down with the fuel consumption. Yes it is a factor, yes fuel is expensive, I really like the car first and foremost and am genuinely very pleased with it on all fronts. The mpg I am getting is a nice bit of icing on the cake for me. My only gripe that I've found with driving over a period of time is the size of the front and rear pillars. The front one can easily hide a bicycle. But I am aware of it all times being a cyclist myself.

As for myself I am just curious how economicaly I can drive in the city. Would I go faster, the next traffic light stops me anyway... So its just fan to learn the lights and get better numbers on the bc and besides I am more relaxed after I get out of the car :)

Btw guys, what gear you use at 40km/h - 25mph? Sometimes the traffic goes with that speed... You keep saying its bad to travel at low rews, so you really use 2nd gear at this speed?

You can't tootle around at low revs and you can't pull away like I used to in an Avensis and get 45 around town.

no, you can't. And the answer why is very clear:

curb weight avensis 1.465kg

curb weight IS220d 1.660kg

smaller car, but heavier. This is the price for rear wheel drive, extra toys, extra silence and better passive safety.

Btw guys, what gear you use at 40km/h - 25mph? Sometimes the traffic goes with that speed... You keep saying its bad to travel at low rews, so you really use 2nd gear at this speed?

difficult question. I drive on 2nd, but I doubt this is more fuel-economical than 3rd, but 2nd doesn't make stress to the drivetrain and engine is much more responsive.

difficult question. I drive on 2nd, but I doubt this is more fuel-economical than 3rd, but 2nd doesn't make stress to the drivetrain and engine is much more responsive.

I agree with you. This is probably the most awkward speed of all. I tend to use 3rd at 30 with a very light throttle but this makes for a lot of gear changing when the speed of the traffic stream drops. Near stationary queues are a nuisance as well - trying to do lots of clean changes between 1st & 2nd is a pain but the alternatives are to scream in 1st or struggle in 2nd. and like you say in your opening post, a struggling engine uses more fuel. The weight of the vehicle does matter as you said but the main issue seems to be the odd gear ratios.

Overall, like Normski I really do like this car. It comes into its own out of town. Unfortunately this year has unexpectedly meant a lot more town driving than usual for me though and the auto would probably have been a lot easier and maybe not much more expensive on fuel.

This what I do :

TAKE OFF

1st - slip it from 1200-1300 rpm. Take it to 3000rpm or a little over because when you get it in 2nd, the revs will be just over 1500rpm so the turbo will be working. (big 1-2 gap)

2nd - change at 2500rpm to get revs at over 1500 rpm in 3rd.

3rd - change at 2200 rpm to get revs at over 1500 rpm in 4th.

GENERAL DRIVING

use 3rd for speeds 30mph-40mph (so around 1700-1800 rpm min)

use 4th for speeds 40mph-50mph

use 5th for 50mph or over

use 6the @ 75mph or more.

Basically keep it in the turbo range (generally 1500rpm or more). 1800 rpm is probably best.

I get 42MPG on my 10 mile dual carriageway but stop-start (lots of traffic lights) journey to work. Because I also know the traffic light sequencing, I can use Intelligent engine stop-start technology (left index finger!). LOL

This what I do :

TAKE OFF

1st - slip it from 1200-1300 rpm. Take it to 3000rpm or a little over because when you get it in 2nd, the revs will be just over 1500rpm so the turbo will be working. (big 1-2 gap)

2nd - change at 2500rpm to get revs at over 1500 rpm in 3rd.

3rd - change at 2200 rpm to get revs at over 1500 rpm in 4th.

GENERAL DRIVING

use 3rd for speeds 30mph-40mph (so around 1700-1800 rpm min)

use 4th for speeds 40mph-50mph

use 5th for 50mph or over

use 6the @ 75mph or more.

Basically keep it in the turbo range (generally 1500rpm or more). 1800 rpm is probably best.

I get 42MPG on my 10 mile dual carriageway but stop-start (lots of traffic lights) journey to work. Because I also know the traffic light sequencing, I can use Intelligent engine stop-start technology (left index finger!). LOL

Scenario: Minus 10 degrees Celsius outside, you wake up and go to work with your car. Lots of traffic lights. How do you accelerate?

Not sure how you guys manage this but the bodyweight of the car, anything below 1.600 revs just makes the 220d crawl like a snail and you can't help but apply a little more pressure to the gas, but then that's just consuming unnecessary fuel that's doing very little.

My average revs between 1-3 gear is 2.000 and anything above 3rd gear is effect under 2.000 — my flywheel needs replacing anyway. Previous owner clearly pushed down gears on high revs. Women.

• 2 weeks later...

Read the User Manual !

It recommended following gearing to save fuel:

0-20 (km/h) => 1. gear

20-50 => 2. gear

50-70 => 3. gear

70-90 => 4. gear

90-120 => 5. gear

120- => 6. gear

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Folks

My car IS220D. I normally get 51-54 mpg on the motorway. This week I drove from Leeds to Windsor at a steady 60mph and got 64mpg.

Lucky you. I managed to get 38mpg at steady 60mph.

@ budvykis

This is exactly what I'm getting from my 220d as well as lots of abuse from work colleagues on how their 318d and 330d get 45-60mpg.

• 2 weeks later...

Try 80km/h in 6th gear (1100rpm) you should get 3.9-4 l/100km

Try 100km/h in 6th gear you should get 5-5.3 l/100km

Thanks to share these informative rules. I don't know anything about this issue before.

Edited by ColinBarber
Signature removed due to breach of forum T&Cs

• 6 months later...

Matus, I have followed your advice closely, I performed steps 3 and 4. after reset of ECU I found the right road and at 38mph in 3rd gear with cruise set and AVG reset to 0. I only managed 56mpg thats after 8 miles of constant 38mph at around 1800rpm. I tried 56 mph in 4th at around 1900rpm and got 52mph. This is far less than the 67-74 you managed to obtain. I am averaging around 37-39 mpg on a general days driving in town and out. Is this normal???

• 1 month later...

Well a funny thing happened a couple of days ago. My Battery (IS 220D) couldn't hold a charge any more. So I went to Lexus, Swindon, to change it at a cost of 156 pouds :(.

Soon afterwards I started seeing a huge improvement in Mileage. I am getting 42 mpg driving from Swindon to Oxford for work and believe me I am no angel on the road. Coming from a VW GOLF, I drive it like a VW Golf. Before the Battery change I was getting (reportedly) around 37-38 on the same trip.

Now I don't know if it was the Battery problem or the fact that I filled it with Shell diesel. Because I also see increase in power :-)

:phone:

• 4 weeks later...

If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it will everything reset or is there any proceedures I need to go through ??

If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it will everything reset or is there any proceedures I need to go through ??

Hi again, everything is fine when you reconnect the Battery with the exception of the windows, you will need to re-set these to their auto mode. You do this by going to each window in turn. Hold the relevant button whilst the window goes fully down, continue holding for six seconds after the window is fully open, you can then close the window and that one is then done. you then need to go to each of the other windows in turn and do exactly the same procedure. This must be done at each door and NOT at the window control on the drivers door.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigbullhead

All cleaned oh I did drop a bolt in between the engine and took 30 mins to find it lol I had to jack the car up and look upwards to see it balancing on some pipes but all good

All cleaned oh I did drop a bolt in between the engine and took 30 mins to find it lol I had to jack the car up and look upwards to see it balancing on some pipes but all good

HaHa, I thought that I might do that when I was cleaning mine so I took precautions! I gaffa taped a strong earth magnet to a piece of string, tied the string to one of the pipes and, when the bolts were virtually out I let the magnet attach itself to the bolt (and they are so strong they take some pulling off) and hey presto, no catastropes!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have now done 75,000 miles in my 55 plate 220d with hardly any journeys of less than 18 miles and usually most of it on dual carriageways/motorways at a steady 70 but I have never got more than 31 mpg. The car is regularly serviced at the dealer I bought it from new and the technicans there have told me that these early cars never achieve better than 34 mpg. (I was told it was one of the first batch ever delivered to the UK). So for those of you that are envious of the comments above and, like me, that never get more than 31 mpg just put it down to experience. Where I have tried a 250 petrol IS I have always got around 45 mpg so it's not my driving! The dealer has assured me that all the engine parameters are within the maufacturer's tolerances so nothing can be done. Last time it was serviced the manager said the 220d has an inherently dirty engine that does drink diesel. Just for my information, does anyone know what year the engine was improved to give the much better mpg reported here so if I change it for a newer model I don't buy another one has this level of consumption. (I always use Shell V power otherwise the mpg drops below 30 mpg.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have complied with all of the proceedures suggested. it has not changed any of my fuel consumptions. I get 33 on local runs and 38 on motorway driving over long distance. I have checked by using the full tank to tank method and the cars computer is quite accurate. I did get exactly 500 miles from a full tank on motorways last week? by what has been written on hear this sounds normal if not good. ??????? for an 06-220d.

Jamie, you have problem with the engine. In some situations it is possible to have similar consumption as IS250 but no way that where you have 31mpg the IS250 has 45. In fact, 45 in IS250 is possible only on motorway with 60mph max. In these conditions the IS220d should be around 51mpg.