Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Increase Your Mileage In Few Steps

ECU.....disconnect the Battery and leave it off for about an hour. Or you can follow the thread in the 'how to' section for the is250...just requires removal of a fuse.

AVG.....hold down the DISP button on the steering wheel, and the AVG will return to 0.0

There is also a method for resetting the ECU given in the "How to" section at the front of the forum. Click on the 220/250 section and you'll see it. This is a simpler way of resetting and takes only minutes.

Mine was ( and I say was) an 06 220d SEl and no matter what I did , clean EGR, re set computer, everything, I never got more than 33 on average and 38 mpg on a good run. The gearing on the pre 07 vehicles is useless, very short rev band and no power outside of it. It went, I now have 3litre D Audi Quattro, done 30k and its what it should be. and I manage to get 40 to 45 mpg,

Yes, the disparity in mpg amongst the 220d's is widely reported.

I have no idea why it should be so. I had a 07 220d, now in the possession of my youngest son. He gets 44 with ease and close to 50 on a decent run. I'm thankful I got a good'un.

Saw it today, and it's going really well.

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way to increase mileage is to drive further.... Its not rocket science.....

What some may want to do is increase the miles they get for each litre of fuel. In that case they need to drive slower or take some weight of the car. Or don't accelerate so hard.

Increasing 'mileage' isn't a problem or even something people would aspire to.

Get it ?

I find those who go on about MPG to be incredibly boring. Buy a diesel, don't overtake, leave the kids at home, act like your brain dead whatever.

I have a 430sc and it will do 30 mpg. What more do you want ???

Well done and said !! Buy a fiat500 or a ford K or whatever, one of those midgets class car if u want loads mpg's. Most of this guys 4got that is models have over 2k weight just the car alone!

Jamie, you have problem with the engine. In some situations it is possible to have similar consumption as IS250 but no way that where you have 31mpg the IS250 has 45. In fact, 45 in IS250 is possible only on motorway with 60mph max. In these conditions the IS220d should be around 51mpg.

Hi Matus, I've got a is220d 2008 with 83k now and drving only city's I get 23mpg and motorway not more then 34 plus to add that 6gear cant really use as engine seems powerless especially up the hill. When I read here that peoples get 45-50 mpg its just like a joke to me and I'm smiling if you understand where I'm coming from. The car pulling like a train very happy with it i enjoy it to the maxx but try not to think to much about mpg. Can't put my hands on BG244 & AR6400D at all as leaving in Ireland and no such high tech things here plus none sellers from eBay delivers to Ireland so...I just gave up the thought. Looks like I have to get some low quality sh8 from this market and hope for the best...its the only way, here!

This what I do :

TAKE OFF

1st - slip it from 1200-1300 rpm. Take it to 3000rpm or a little over because when you get it in 2nd, the revs will be just over 1500rpm so the turbo will be working. (big 1-2 gap)

2nd - change at 2500rpm to get revs at over 1500 rpm in 3rd.

3rd - change at 2200 rpm to get revs at over 1500 rpm in 4th.

GENERAL DRIVING

use 3rd for speeds 30mph-40mph (so around 1700-1800 rpm min)

use 4th for speeds 40mph-50mph

use 5th for 50mph or over

use 6the @ 75mph or more.

Basically keep it in the turbo range (generally 1500rpm or more). 1800 rpm is probably best.

I get 42MPG on my 10 mile dual carriageway but stop-start (lots of traffic lights) journey to work. Because I also know the traffic light sequencing, I can use Intelligent engine stop-start technology (left index finger!). LOL

Same here..I'll say thats the minimum requirements for EGR & DPF for survival but unfortunately my car doesn't give me more then 34mpg whatever I do!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I just bought a IS200d SE-I (2010 model) 3 weeks back but I'm on getting 33.4 mpg combined, I do roughly 60 miles a day 80% of which is M/way and dual carriage ways, I'm not driving hard and make use of all 6 gears, i did try using gear 5 between 70-75 but saw mpg dropping?

Car was serviced in early december, i tend to change gears between 1500-2000rpm, also I have changed from using ASDA fuel to Shell Regular Diesel fuel which helped is there anything else I can do?

I see resetting the ECU (disconnecting the battery) can help, when doing will that reset my stereo/navigation/bluetooth configurations?

Thanks in advance

How cool is trying to save money? Some people spend more time worrying about how much fuel they use than they do about paying attention to what's going on around them..

I don't think anyone should bother with MPG if they just drive normally.. I have a 430 SC 4.3 ltr

petrol

normally aspirated V8 my son had a BMW diesel 3 litre turbo diesel. Besides being a lot noisier (and it was a nearly new car) than the 430SC on along run of 180 miles at over motor way speeds I averaged 32 mpg in the Lexus and he did nearly 36 mpg in the BMW ! The Lexus does 80mph at

2000 rpm (petrol engine) considering the hype about diesel economy and the size of the engines that's not a lot of difference..

• 2 weeks later...

thanx for those very much needed tips. ive had my 220d for a couple of months and i cant get it over 26avg around town. ive been told that sometimes they have probs with the fifth injector ?. it just seems to eat the diesel. god help me when i get the caravan on the back in the summer

• 4 weeks later...

Hi put my 220d back into lexus under warranty. They reset the ecu. Now its a lot better 34mpg round town. Redex wouldnt do it any harm. I think wynns do a aditive as well any one of those I would try. If its really bad like mine try resetting the ecu.

Have many people have had there is220d reprogrammed by lexus? Mine been in for an ecu reprogrammed in the past and I don't drop below 35mpg really, always short runs and town driving. I use premium diesel with an additive

Mine went in for a couple of other jobs and I mentioned the mpg was rubbish 26mpg. When I got it back he said they reset the ecu. I think you just disconnect the Battery for a day or so but dont quote me on that. The thing is people come on here trying to get better mpg but the 220d is just not very good on diesel.

• Like 1

I'm certainly not advocating no use of the A/C. I was referring to 'unnecessary' use of A/C, and opening the windows a 'tad'. Some folk I have noticed, just put it on all the time without thought. This is just plain daft in the UK. If its sweltering or cold, damp and steamy, then fine put it on, I would.

You are right about keeping up revs between gear changes to avoid that 'clunk of notchiness', also try pushing the clutch pedal down just a wee bit more forceful. Not a lot. You dont need to try and shove your foot thru the front bumper!! Every car/4x4 type I have driven with the DMF responds better by doing this. Now I've got the hang of it I get no notchiness at all now.

Thats a loafs of crap m8: 54-57 mpg ?? Where?? Down the hill only drive?? Hahahaha what a noob, stop selling porchy pies on this forum please! You should kbow that somethings very wrong with ur car mate and soon enough big problems will arise if u really get that mpg!! @ lexus very optimistic unreal book not reach this mpg...imao 54-57 big laugh

Maybe I'm just lucky with the set up on my car, but I get 54-57 at 73mph in 5th using cruise control on the motorway.

I don't wish to get too bogged down with the fuel consumption. Yes it is a factor, yes fuel is expensive, I really like the car first and foremost and am genuinely very pleased with it on all fronts. The mpg I am getting is a nice bit of icing on the cake for me. My only gripe that I've found with driving over a period of time is the size of the front and rear pillars. The front one can easily hide a bicycle. But I am aware of it all times being a cyclist myself.

Thats a loafs of crap m8: 54-57 mpg ?? Where?? Down the hill only drive?? Hahahaha what a noob, stop selling porchy pies on this forum please! You should kbow that somethings very wrong with ur car mate and soon enough big problems will arise if u really get that mpg!! @ lexus very optimistic unreal book not reach this mpg...imao 54-57 big laugh

You are entitled to your opinions...why would i wish to post lies??? I have no reason to do that at all. At the time of these posts i had a 220d that had a new engine put in by Lexus. Driving around town and to work I got 35-39 mpg...that is a fact. When i took the car to Scotland I got 54mpg using cruise control and 5th gear and staying if i recall correctly at about 70/75 mph.. Never used 6th.......did not work for me at all. When i drove the car across France i got 50+ mpg...that is a fact.

My son now has the 220d and I have a 250. I had a go in it when he came to stay recently and his display was showing 44mpg...that is a fact.

End of.

Ok Normski2 I see you got irritated but thats just too much optimistic mpg what you get and in fact, you are the only one, so far, in this forum with this type of car/year/mileage, with this kind of mpg, sorry! I didn't mean to upset you but other readers my get wrong ideea or picture to say so, about this model 220d. And 50+ means what, to you? 50.1-55.7-57.9 ?? Whatever, its a balloon figure anyway for most of us I'll say. Good luck with you car.

• 10 months later...

Interesting read, but I must say having read this line below;

Firstly, whilst I only collected my first Lexus yesterday I know - as a self confessed car nut - that Lexus don't make obvious mistakes; such as making a car that is at odds with the gear ratios!

Sadly, Lexus did make a huge mistake with this engine/drive train right from the start. I know too well as I had one myself. If only they had sourced a BMW or Audi power pack it could have been so different.

One question. Do you have the Standard SE or the 'Sport'? I know a couple of locals with the Sport variant and they only get 32 around town and 37 on a run.

How can you tell which one it's sport model?

I do not mean to offend anyone, but just start some sort of a discussion about diesel cars in general.

I have been a proud owner of quite a few of them over the years: BMW 320d, 530d, MB E320 CDI, Focus 2.0 TDCI etc.. been utterly dissapointed in all of them. Too many things to worry about.. (turbocharger, egr, dpf, injectors etc..) all sound like tractors (and that goes for 220d too) and despite the fact that all my cars have been low milegae, well looked after examples, black smoke under hard acceleration is simply embarrassing.

My annual mileage is in the region of 5000 miles, i understand many of you clock up 30 000 in 6 months and fuel economy will in that case be important. Why not get a small petrol engine instead? LPG? I got well over 50mpg on the run out of 2012 Passat 1.4 petrol with DSG gearbox (i know these TSI engines have their own problems)..

I will never buy another diesel car. Because for me most of them look pretty on paper, but are noisy, smelly and expensive to run (servicing, problems) in real life.

PS. Happy new year to all diesel- and petrolheads!