Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh dear…!

Started the car this evening and the starter would not stop, then it did stop and the engine worked but there were some odd noises….

I have been having an issue where sometimes the engine starter just clicks and sometimes the engine turns over for a long time and does not start, even with the key turned off ..!!!!

So I drove to the super market down the road and the engine refused to turn off… at all…. then a smell of blown electrics hit my nose and I though it was the ECU… Then something started to whine higher and higher… and after a few minutes steam started to bellow out of the right hand side of the engine as looking at it with the bonnet open… With the smell of metal on metal friction (I assume the water pump burning out)

Then I tried to stop the engine again and it did stop….

Now if you turn the key nothing, coolant levels are within normal range and there appear to be no leaks…

My thoughts are…

Blown ECU + Ruined Water Pump, (I am assuming the pump is totally electronically controlled and just went mad).

So I am looking for a couple of spare parts.

I am also hoping that the engine is not beyond repair ….?

I was wondering anyone else seen this rather dramatic and exciting event happen ?

Sounds like the starter/solenoid mate.

There is a link in my sig to overhaul the starter. Exact symptoms I would expect when it just gets stuck on completely. The clicking and not turning over are the first symptoms that the unit is on it's way out and the solenoid contacts are starting to stick. With any luck, a replacement starter should be all that is needed.

There is a link in my sig to overhaul the starter. Exact symptoms I would expect when it just gets stuck on completely. The clicking and not turning over are the first symptoms that the unit is on it's way out and the solenoid contacts are starting to stick. With any luck, a replacement starter should be all that is needed.

What was the Steam all about ?

Ok I'll buy one off eBay, how easy is it just to replace ?

Looks like 2 bolts and it's off ?

I have it parked outside the local garage, so they can fit it…

I am concerned about the clouds of steam that came off the engine….Any idea's ?

I have it parked outside the local garage, so they can fit it…

I am concerned about the clouds of steam that came off the engine….Any idea's ?

I would expect the steam was the smoke from the starter burning up. It is also possible the heavy core feed to the starter overheated and started to melt its insulation. Without looking at the car, it is very difficult to anticipate where exactly the steam was coming from. You said it was from the right hand side, which is where the starter and cable would be. The water pump is at the front of the engine so in the wrong place, and I can't think of any reason why that would be affected by what happened with the starter. There aren't any water pipes that I can think of down the right hand side of the engine, so unless you had a major "other" issue at the same time, I don't think it was water related.

I agree replace the starter motor (think yourself lucky it's not a V8 LS400) and probably Engine wire no.2 (82122-30480) which will have melted insulation through the excess current drawn by the starter motor.

You may also find the Battery completely discharged.

I think although the damage is serious it could have ben a lot worse if the loom or starter had actually caught fire!

• 2 weeks later...

Flywheel could need replacing to...

We're being optomistic :D

:D

He would have to be very unlucky for it to have stripped any teeth off the flywheel.