Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt Snapped - Is200

Hi, the timing belt has snapped in my is200. The AA towed it home and the genetleman said this is a safety engine in this model. I cant find any info on this... Also i have been told to try putting the car in 3rd gear, and try tunring the wheels a couple of times by hand. If this works then there is no damage??????

Any points, help and advice most welcome as i miss my car so much :(

Hi, the timing belt has snapped in my is200. The AA towed it home and the genetleman said this is a safety engine in this model. I cant find any info on this... Also i have been told to try putting the car in 3rd gear, and try tunring the wheels a couple of times by hand. If this works then there is no damage??????

no not a safe engine you will need a top end rebuild might be quicker and cheaper buying a complete head...

and i dont know who told you the third gear poop but thats just what it is poop..... course it will turn if you turn the wheels by hand...but it will in no way tell you if the engines ok.......you will have bent valves...fact how many i dont know but to put you in the picture their is 24 of them... and your looking at £15.00 each approx plus the gasket kit plus labour....ouch...

Hi,sorry about your snapped cambelt.I am amazed that things such as cambelt change when due(6years - 60,000 miles) - are not taken seriously enough and when they do snap then cost a lot more to fix that would have otherwise been the case.If you buy a car and dont know if its been done,then have changed asap.Better safe than sorry.

sorry to hear about the cambelt failure.

whats the mileage ? ?

your valves are damaged/bent.

if you can pick up a low mileage engine i would go with that.