Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sort Of An Insurance Dodge

ok guys, tell me what you think to this senario, i dont want judging, just advice.

4 years ago i lost licence for drinking (i know, bad lad)

last 3 years insurance has been 2k but somehow come renewal time i have always had the money to pay, until this year! i havent got 2k and cant really afford £200 a month for insurance! (new baby and wedding to pay for) and i only have 1 more year to declare the conviction!

oh and also the last few years, the car has been in my partners name and me as a named driver (and its still that much!!)

soooo i though how about if my mrs cancels the insurance this year so my lex is taxed and mot'ed, but not insured, i then go and buy a £50 1.0 banger and insure it for £700 fully comp. the policy says i can drive any other car 3rd party with owners permission. see below:

Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes.

EXCLUSIONS - The policy does not cover

Use for commuting, any business purposes, any purpose in connection with the motor trade, carriage of passengers or goods for hire or reward, or for hiring, racing, competitions, rallies, trials, pace-making or speed testing.

The policyholder may also drive a motor car not belonging to the policyholder and not hired to the policyholder under a hire-purchase agreement or leased to the policyholder under a leasing agreement, provided that;

The policyholder has the owner's permission to do so; and

the policyholder still has the vehicle identified above by its registration mark and it has not been damaged beyond economical repair nor been stolen and not recovered; and

the motor car is registered within the UK; and

the policyholder is not using the motor car outside of the UK; and

the policyholder is not insured under any other insurance to drive the motor car.

ok so i know if i crashed the lex, i would lose out completely but at least everyonew else wwould be covered and im willing to take the risk for a year!

is this legal cus i cant see anything that says i cant do it??

You'll find that legally the lexus has to have an insurance policy on it as well... Otherwise we'd all insure rubbish wee fiestas and run about in ferraris on the cheap insurance. The insurance companies got wind of this a long time back and it IS illegal...

Sorry about that.

id agree with dave - used to get away with that years ago but thesedays youre lex will flag up no insurance and warrant a pull and any copper worth his sorts will know the law and that the lexus has to be insured by someone for your insurance to be valid

You will get pulled and the Lex will be taken from you and crushed. You will get more points and more fines.

Why not sell the Lex and buy the old banger, insure that and buy another in the future when you can get reasonable priced insurance?

How much is it for your partner to insure the lexus for a year? If its £1000 or less fully comp then you could still save money on your idea of insuring a banger.

How much is it for your partner to insure the lexus for a year? If its £1000 or less fully comp then you could still save money on your idea of insuring a banger.

afaik the partner only has to insure against third party risks so doesnt have to be fully comp or even fire and theft

and i only have 1 more year to declare the conviction!

Check very carefully about the above. Whilst you are asked about convictions in last 5 years a lot of insurers also ask if you have ever been disqualified.

see the reason i originally thought this was because the other year i brought a car for the mrs, picked it up and drove it home, on way i stopped for petrol, whilst in the station a copper was outside running checks on all the cars, when he got to mine, there was no insurance, (i was going to insure when got home) so when i came out he told me and i explained i had just brought it and that is why, he shook his head and said tough, i should of insured it before picking it up. I happened to mention it was my partners car and i had my own, then he asked if i was fully comp, i said yes and he rand the station to do a check, when they said back, yes this bloke is fully comp on another policy, he said, oh thats ok then your insured, off you go!

So whats the difference? nowhere in my policy does it say the lex needs to be insured? just that i need owners permission. its only a legal requirment to have the car taxed and mot'd. i cant see anywhere apart from opinions that its actually illegal?

and to DaveEdin: i thought the same at first, but you have to remember, firstly you cannot own your ferarri someone else must. and 2nd if you crash you ferarri, your only 3rd party, so its not a great idea really. I'd be gutted if i crashed the lex but im prepared to take a 1 year gamble.

But if he doesnt put himself as a named driver the premium wont be as much because of his conviction.

i think i understand what you mean now? your saying see how much to get mrs to insure lex on her own, and then me insure banger, and if the 2 together are less than my as named on the lex im ££ in??

good idea, i'll see how much it cost for the mrs only on the lex.

the other car does have to be insured unless the driver has a traders policy, Adrian flux told me (twice on seperate occasions) that I could drive an uninsured car as I was covered 3rd party on other cars with owners consent, but I was later told by others (inc adrian flux) the other car must have a policy in the owners name

your earlier theory of being insured fully comp on a banger with allowance to drive the lex with the owners permission would cover you as long as the owner of the lex isn't you, but to drive the lex all the time with the owners permission may be bending the rules a little, can anyone correct me if i'm wrong?

the other car does have to be insured unless the driver has a traders policy, Adrian flux told me (twice on seperate occasions) that I could drive an uninsured car as I was covered 3rd party on other cars with owners consent, but I was later told by others (inc adrian flux) the other car must have a policy in the owners name

your earlier theory of being insured fully comp on a banger with allowance to drive the lex with the owners permission would cover you as long as the owner of the lex isn't you, but to drive the lex all the time with the owners permission may be bending the rules a little, can anyone correct me if i'm wrong?

Yes that is right. The Lexus would have to be registered to partner as the owner and also insured by partner. Very risky scenario. If partner is the insured person and also the registered owner but YOU could be seen to be the main driver then you could be wasting your money trying to save a few quid. Insurers are wise to all these cons so tread very carefully.

I think that insurance companies are smart enough these days to "interpret" the cars at a particular address and the insured and named drivers for each. Their interpretation will be reflected in the premiums. Also, remember that insurance companies share information.

Right or wrong I have done this (Albeit for a 1 off 'emergency') however the insurer (admiral) said that I was ok to drive the car if it was taxed and MOT'd. It would be covered 3rd Party all the time I was sat in it. Soon as I get out, it becomes uninsured soon as I step out at which point it becomes illegal unless it is off the road i.e. your drive. This was 2 years ago and at the time I asked them to confirm and put in writting for fear of being pulled and friends car being crushed (She had no insurance at the time).

Perhaps ask the same and give specifics (even if blagging using similar story to when you got caught before) and ask them to put in writting.

I would not advise it though. Only take 1 mistake by you and/ or a '3rd party' and it will get very messy. Even fully legitimate accidents are a pain in the backside now as more and more companies just pass the claims off to solicitors and loss mitigators who's job it is keep payout to the absolute minimum. In your case, if something were to happen, you'd be up the creak without a paddle. My missus just had to provide 4 months bank/ credit card statements to prove she couldn't afford a hire car out of her own pocket before going to the insurance when she was hit by a 3rd party of whom admitted liability anyway.

With regards to the other option of having another car on which you would have the F/C policy to have the drive others TP only, sorry to be a spoil sport mate, but dont do it. This addition on your policy is meant for 1 offs and you can blag all you like if something happens but they will make your life hell. Give your previous, they wont be so nice.

Chris

Right or wrong I have done this (Albeit for a 1 off 'emergency') however the insurer (admiral) said that I was ok to drive the car if it was taxed and MOT'd. It would be covered 3rd Party all the time I was sat in it. Soon as I get out, it becomes uninsured soon as I step out at which point it becomes illegal unless it is off the road i.e. your drive. This was 2 years ago and at the time I asked them to confirm and put in writting for fear of being pulled and friends car being crushed (She had no insurance at the time).

thesedays a car has to be insured even when kept off road i believe or sorn

I don't know what your wife's financial status has to do with an insurance company.

Tell me about it. It's all to do with the loss mitigation they hammer on about now. You are legally obliged whether the accident was your fault or not. This includes, in this instance the hire car. As the law states in this example; if you can afford to source your own hire car or use public transport you should, as hire cars through the insurance companies are ridiculously expensive (£3500 for 40 days for us). This should only be a last resort. so she has had to prove she couldn't afford to and we had to prove that her commute to work was not practical via public transport.

Sorry bit of a post hack :)

If for what ever reason you have interst in this I've got reams of solicitor/ barrister/ court paper work you are welcome to see :)

And as for the original post, if as mentioned above the law has now changed, that answers that question. You will have to get a 2nd car for you and have her insure the Lex on her own. Still, I wouldn't recommend it.

Chris

Been a bit of an ongoing discussion about it on another forum, and how it's just another way to rip off consumers etc by making you pay out for a car you might not even be using more than a couple days a week or only in the summer etc...

Is THIS what you are thinking of Nik?

well done Dave ! yup that was exactly it - how are you by the way ? - only answer to all this is declare everything and be legal and safe and drive what you can afford to - thyesedays you cant get away with old loopholes like this ( i did for many many years but no longer ) - if you do come up with a foolproof solution id be interested as well as my insurance is about £3k this year due to a **** driving up my arse when i was parked

and your financial circumstances have for a long time been territory for investigation by loss adjusters investigating claims - they will look for arrears , ccjs etc to determine your financial status which could have a bearing on why or what you are claiming for