Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 - Need Help Identifying

Hi

My dad just bought an LS400 on eBay but although it is a 1997 mk3, it seems to have the same interior as my mk4, i.e. the touch screen. I wonder if it will have a mk3 or mk4 engine? Here is a link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380333633831&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

He hasn't seen it yet, so bit of a risk but at that money it may be worth a punt. He'll be picking it up Monday or Tuesday.

Is this maybe an import? As it seem to have an extra switch down by the gear selector. Is this maybe something to do with suspension such as the air suspension option, which I don't the UK cars were offered with were they?

Thanks

Norm

Hi, this is a curious one, there are no wing indicators which to me says import.

There's a couple of switches on the inside of the passenger seat swab I'm not familiar with. The previous owners also gone to the trouble of removing the rear quarter aerial to the roof !

If the centre consol switches are for air suspension it's got a be a import / Celsior as this wasn't an option for the mk3 body I believe.

Some one will know more I think ....

Steve.

Check the reg number on the DVLA site - it shows that the first reg was indeed in 1997, so it does look like a genuine UK car.

My advice to your dad would be that when he collects the car he asks first of all to see the V5, and checks the VIN. The VIN is on the car through the windscreen, in the boot and perhaps on a centre pillar.

I think for £600 it looks great for a bit of fun - I hope your dad enjoys it!

definetly a mk4 interior , and i guess has to have matching dash and electronics?.

would be realy interested in some pics , especaily if the satnav is in english.

bargains though , even if it is an oddball.

Toyota badge on front grille makes me think it's an Imported Toyota Celsior. Sat Nav and radio will be in Japanese.

Steve 2006 will be along shortly. Worth a go for that sort of money, a lot of car for 5 tanks of petrol. Good Luck.

How strange! Half of Ser 3, half 4!

That's def. a 3 front, but a 4 Int!

Be better without Air susp, for cost of fixing!

Wot a deal!

Thinks.....might have to keep mine if THAT'S how cheap things are getting!

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't actually notice then Toyota badge on the front, but you're right. Has a Lexus badge on the back though. I had a read about the Toyota Celcior and it was offered with sat nav in Japan so it'll be an import. I also read the Celcior came with a reclining rear seats option, so I wonder if those button on the side of the front seats might be for that.

The air suspension (assuming it has it) might be quite good but I guess it could be costly if/when things go wrong. Is it known for problems?

It looks very much like a Toyota Celsior,clues are the listing states 2 owners but only 1 in the UK,there are 2 brackets on the boot lid to accept the square Japanese style number plates, the rear transmission tunnel has a Celsior badged over mat fitted and there is no sun/moon roof fitted.

If it is the CF model it will also have seperate AC and radio controls in the rear armrest along with reclining massage seats!

It looks like it has air suspension given the extra switch on the shifter panel but it may have been converted to conventional.

The roof aerial may be for a mobile phone as these had the radio aerial integrated into the rear demister element.

The mileage could be kilometers as 169,000 seems high for an import.

If you look at the V5 it will state previously registered overseas on the front.

At the price paid I would be happy with what you've bought,doesn't mention if it has any MOT though?

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't actually notice then Toyota badge on the front, but you're right. Has a Lexus badge on the back though. I had a read about the Toyota Celcior and it was offered with sat nav in Japan so it'll be an import. I also read the Celcior came with a reclining rear seats option, so I wonder if those button on the side of the front seats might be for that.

The air suspension (assuming it has it) might be quite good but I guess it could be costly if/when things go wrong. Is it known for problems?

The switch on the side of the front seat is to allow the rear seat passenger, or driver, to slide the front seat forward/backward.

If your dad wants a cup of tea before he makes the drive back I'm only 20 miles from Sheffield ( a good excuse for me to have a look at it!lol)

That's very kind, I'll let him know. But I think he'll probably be in a bit of a hurry to get back up the road.

The switch on the side of the front seat is to allow the rear seat passenger, or driver, to slide the front seat forward/backward.

Yes, you're right, that would make more sense wouldn't it.

Yes, you're right, that would make more sense wouldn't it.

It is probably the CF package model then,designed for rear passenger ultimate comfort and chauffeur driven!

Ok, so that car has been collected. I will post some photos after it has been cleaned up a bit. Unfortunately it is not the CF package so no reclining rear seats, which is a bit of a shame. However, the car seems to be in good condition overall and drives very well. No rust and no rips in the interior. The grille has a crack so that will get replaced with a "Lexus" grille! The alloys also need a refurb. I had considered buying some DHP alloys for my mk4 and my dad could have my current wheels but I can't find any DHP alloys at the moment unfortunately.

Some buttons are indeed in Japanese too! It has an "airpuri" adjustment wheel, so some sort of air purification system. Also and immobilizer, and folding side mirrors, all of which my mk4 does not have.

The odd thing with the clock and temp display is that the seem to have been blacked out in some way, but you car still sort of see the digits behind it. Hard to explain, may need to post a photo of that too.

I has the air suspension which seem to be working, though it sits a little higher at the front than my car and maybe a touch too low at the back, but hard to say. Rides fine though. I think if it causes problems it will have to get converted to a standard suspension set up. The engine has a bit more of a V8 roar to it than my mk4 which seems a bit more refined in a way. Still very smooth though and the gearbox also changes very smoothly.

The car has covered 167k and the timing belt was done at 71k according to the sticker on the engine. The car didn't come with any history. The question is, is it worth changing the timing belt on a car that cost £600 or just take the risk? If it goes, with is be fatal (like it would be in my VVTi engine) or not??