Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kwikfit Say My Front Discs Are Corroded And I Should Change, Should I?

Kwikfit are expensive no? They told me my discs are corroded and I should change them with the pads too. The front ones. This was while I asked them to change the tyre with the spare one. They were trying to get me to buy a new tyre too. Anyways, should I be worried that the discs are corroded from the inside? The outside where the pads touch the discs are shiny and look good, but from the behind and inside the vents, I am not sure if it was corrosion or just dirt coupled with oil.

What should I do about this? Should I get them changed?

I was qouted £385 for the discs and £100 for the pads with a lifetime warranty on the pads (replace as many times you want). But thats a lot of money. I saw some brake discs on eBay for about £90. There were some brembo ones for the same price too. I could buy them on eBay and have some local garage fix them for cheap.

Is it safe to buy these on eBay? I mean are there any issues with sizes I should look out for?

Be careful with kwikfit. A few years ago I got a quote for pads for my wife's Mercedes ML +/- £170. I was away working and had the wife take it in. The final bill was approaching £1,000 as the pads they had weren't the right ones and they had to change the discs while they were at it. parts from Mercedes were less than half the cost charged by kwak fit. I have recently changed the pads again and the cost was less than £80 for front and rear.

As long as the bit that the pad acts on is not badly corroded and the disc thickness is above the manufacturers minimum, the discs are fine. If you put new discs on within a year the centre bit will start to rust again anyway.

Mark

Kwikfit are expensive no? They told me my discs are corroded and I should change them with the pads too. The front ones. This was while I asked them to change the tyre with the spare one. They were trying to get me to buy a new tyre too. Anyways, should I be worried that the discs are corroded from the inside? The outside where the pads touch the discs are shiny and look good, but from the behind and inside the vents, I am not sure if it was corrosion or just dirt coupled with oil.

I was qouted £385 for the discs and £100 for the pads with a lifetime warranty on the pads (replace as many times you want). But thats a lot of money. I saw some brake discs on ebay for about £90. There were some Brembo ones for the same price too. I could buy them on ebay and have some local garage fix them for cheap.

Is it safe to buy these on ebay? I mean are there any issues with sizes I should look out for?

A couple of months back I had my rear discs and pads done at a main dealer and i'm sure I paid less than £500. Might be worth checking with your local Lexus/Toyota place first as well.

I was qouted £385 for the discs and £100 for the pads with a lifetime warranty on the pads (replace as many times you want). But thats a lot of money. I saw some brake discs on ebay for about £90. There were some Brembo ones for the same price too. I could buy them on ebay and have some local garage fix them for cheap.

Is it safe to buy these on ebay? I mean are there any issues with sizes I should look out for?

That is a crazy quote for the work especially if they are using non genuine parts :o

Genuine pads and discs for an RX400 retail at £205.87 inc vat.

Andy

Thanks Dave. Do you own an RX400h? Your pic suggests otherwise. Could you tell me which discs and pads you went for?

I saw a few options one ebay. Have a look here.

Here are some genuine ones with pads

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180653911213&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Brembo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Front-Brembo-Brake-Discs-LEXUS-RX400h-3-3i-V6-MCU-05-/170619842144?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b9bc2e60

Grooved ones... (not sure if they are any good)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBC-FR-GROOVED-BRAKE-DISCS-LEXUS-RX400h-3-3-hybrid-05-/300517475290?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f83cc3da

Hi,

I don't own an RX, no, but the point I was (possibly not very clearly) trying to make is that purchasing from eBay is fine as there are some good deals - generally though I would only buy from a seller operating as a business with plenty of positive feedback, as you're safer that way with anything like returns etc.

And as ACLex has pointed out, the genuine parts are significantly cheaper from Lexus than from KwikFit.... so if I was you I'd not trust them with your car. Ever. Not even to pump up your tyres to the right pressure.

A couple of months back I had my rear discs and pads done at a main dealer and i'm sure I paid less than £500. Might be worth checking with your local Lexus/Toyota place first as well.

Thanks got it. The first link to eBay I posted seems to be the real deal. £160 for both pads and discs. Now on to find a fitter.

The fact you have doubts suggests that you do not believe what they are telling you. Do you then trust them to work competently and correctly on your car?

are you the village idiot? Again.. you have nothing useful to add. Also, does my post suggest an intent to use kwikfit for this? I dont think so.

are you the village idiot? Again.. you have nothing useful to add. Also, does my post suggest an intent to use kwikfit for this? I dont think so.

Ooh insults, I'm not the idiot who doesn't know when brakes need changing and nor am I the one contemplating letting KwikFit work on my car. Anymore? Because I think I gota whole lot to contribute.

Kwikfit featured on watchdog not too long ago for shoddy work, createing jobs that didn't need doin etc, i'll never use them, wouldn't recommend them to anyone

Personally i think its all a load of cobblers about the corrosion.

and secondly why not get your hands dirty and change them yourself? wont take more than a couple of hours of the bank holiday weekend and if you get your order in tomorrow with your local dealer youll have genuine parts and a fraction of the cost of Kwik fit, not to mention a sense of acheivement

Ooh insults, I'm not the idiot who doesn't know when brakes need changing and nor am I the one contemplating letting KwikFit work on my car. Anymore? Because I think I gota whole lot to contribute.

Nice eh? You've got to make allowances for people from London, I know, I used to be one. :rolleyes:

Certainly agree with the KF thing, my wife had a puncture repaired, it went flat the next day!

Hi,

Take a look at this :

http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/lexuscare/service-your-lexus/fixed-price-promise.aspx

It was new to me and I saw it linked in the post about servicing which is fairly current.

If the Rx400 is priced similarly to the Rx300 then I wouldn't touch Kwik fit with a barge poll.

Actually I wouldn't use Kwik fit anyway after an experience with them years ago. They seemed to have the level of ethusiastic amateur which isn't great when you're paying for the service.

U

The fact you have doubts suggests that you do not believe what they are telling you. Do you then trust them to work competently and correctly on your car?

I can't see the point of you asking if he is the village idiot! You ask a question in the forum and people try to assist. The obvious thing to do would be to get them checked out at a couple of other places without asking if anything needs replacing and see what they say about your brakes.

It does appear as though maybe you are actually the "village idiot" since you first say it is your front brakes and then say oh!....maybe it was the rears.

Kwik Fit will say an awful lot of things...

I think it depends on the staff at each branch. I would not touch the Coventry Kwik Fit but the Nuneaton branch did an excellent job on wife's car about 6 yrs ago and also then did a fine job with the brakes on my old GS300 Sport.