Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This A Good Price Considering?

Hi guys, its been a while since i have posted so hi to everyone

Took the IS200 to Lexus Edinburgh last week to enquire about a service, had the car for two years now and despite only having done 4,500 miles in that time thought it would be time to get her looked at, car has 35,000 miles on it, the first 3 stamps are in the book but the last one being 3 years ago(Lexus Aberdeen) The ever so nice lady didnt even break sweat when she quoted £1200, this is including getting the timing belt done which she says should be after 6 years or 60,000 miles, whatever comes first.(the car is an 04 plate)

Toyota was my next port of call, explained to them what i was after and they quoted £480 all in, including a MOT, now for the exact same service(this being the 40,000 service, is this a big one?)what do the experts on here reckon, obviously its a lot of money but dont think its going to be worth it keeping it Lexus stamped, what would you do?

A wee side note, when the timing belt get changed is it worth getting the water pump done at the same time?The toyota garage are saying alot of the time when they do the timing belts on the IS200 the water pump usually shows signs of leakage, this make sense?

Thanks for reading and would love to hear from folks with a bit more car savvy than myself.

Hi guys, its been a while since i have posted so hi to everyone

Took the IS200 to Lexus Edinburgh last week to enquire about a service, had the car for two years now and despite only having done 4,500 miles in that time thought it would be time to get her looked at, car has 35,000 miles on it, the first 3 stamps are in the book but the last one being 3 years ago(Lexus Aberdeen) The ever so nice lady didnt even break sweat when she quoted £1200, this is including getting the timing belt done which she says should be after 6 years or 60,000 miles, whatever comes first.(the car is an 04 plate)

Toyota was my next port of call, explained to them what i was after and they quoted £480 all in, including a MOT, now for the exact same service(this being the 40,000 service, is this a big one?)what do the experts on here reckon, obviously its a lot of money but dont think its going to be worth it keeping it Lexus stamped, what would you do?

A wee side note, when the timing belt get changed is it worth getting the water pump done at the same time?The toyota garage are saying alot of the time when they do the timing belts on the IS200 the water pump usually shows signs of leakage, this make sense?

Thanks for reading and would love to hear from folks with a bit more car savvy than myself.

Hi yes it does make sense having it changed at the same time even if it shows no signs of a leak,it will only cost you more money if you dont have it done and in a few months or so it does go .

I would go with the Toyota deal. I don't believe any future buyer would even blink if he/she sees a "Toyota" stamp in the service book - but keep the detailed invoice of work done.

Yes, the water pump is a weak spot on the IS200. Mine is 10 years old with 60K and no sign of a leak so you could be wasting your money geting it done. I think the only job which is common to timing belt and water pump is removing the 3 belts. A dealer will want you to ask for both for obvious reasons.

I was told to get my water pump checked at 60k so I bought one but later found mine had been done under warranty at 40k so I got my cash back on the new one and just had the belts done

I would go with the Toyota Garage.

I had my 60K service (although the car have only cover 19K) at a small independent. Timing belt, tensioner, oils, MOT only came in at £385.

I didnt have the waterpump changed. If it aint broke, I am not going to fix it!

toyota is lexus you buy any bits from lexus they do come in a toyota box...i say go with toyota...what toyota dealer?i work at the camerontoll toyota dealer.

I have just had the timing belt done along with the water pump and bypass hose, spark plugs, oil and filter change, air filter all bought from Lexus Birmingham. All the parts came to about £375 and when I asked Lexus Cardiff for a quote for labour only on the timing belt and water pump with bypass hose to be fitted, they quoted me £320. Phoned my local Toyota dealer, Bassets in Swansea and I was amazed when they came back with a price of £410 - told her that they should be cheaper than Lexus and she then said they may be able to match the price at which point I told her where she could stick it.

Wanted someone I could trust that could do the job , so ended up getting my brother-in-law who is a workshop senior technician for a large independant to do all the work and was charged £120 total labour for the timing belt along with the water pump and bypass hose, spark plugs, oil and filter change, air filter. My IS200 has 40k mile and would recommend the genuine parts, but the labour charges are a ripoff, find a good independant and keep the receipt for the parts for any future owner to be assured of the car being looked after.