Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shoot me if you want, but I was wondering if it would be leagal to remove the two rear box's and just stick on some pipe and nice tips at the back of my LS. Does anyone know if it will be too loud (leagal wise), and if it will make anything else break in the engine?

I am only wondering, not sure if I want to do this anyway... Think of it as a thought exercise?

Brian :)

Shoot me if you want, but I was wondering if it would be leagal to remove the two rear box's and just stick on some pipe and nice tips at the back of my LS. Does anyone know if it will be too loud (leagal wise), and if it will make anything else break in the engine?

I am only wondering, not sure if I want to do this anyway... Think of it as a thought exercise?

Apparently this does not make it too loud just sound a bit nicer according to other forums ;)

Andy

Apparently this does not make it too loud just sound a bit nicer according to other forums ;)

Andy

"Sounds a bit nicer"! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sounds nice to me.

But im an old fogie and load noises make me grumpy. Now where did i put those Werthers Originals?

Andy

"Sounds a bit nicer"! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sounds nice to me.

But im an old fogie and load noises make me grumpy. Now where did i put those Werthers Originals?

To save all that work just go a buy an old banger theres no point having the quietest and smoothest car on the road if all you want to do is be heard in the next county.

But then as my son always tells me I'm just an old fogie. How about a set of twin tone alpine horns as well.

Mike

Hello Britrb,

If you want an idea of how your LS will sound do a search on YouTube for LS400 Exhaust Sounds (or somthing similar). Most of the clips are from America, we all know the Americans are a little louder than most of us Brits. :whistling:

I can understand why you would want to hear the V8 rumble, it is a lovley sound. I used to own a Toyota Hilux 4X4 with a 3.5Lt V8 from a SD1 Rover in it. It was a straight through exhaust with the smallest Cherry Bomb silencer I could find, to be honest, although it sounded nice it was just too loud.

A friend of mine had a V8 Range Rover with the same exhaust and it failed the MOT because it was just too noisy.

I have thought about taking out some of the silencers on my LS but I just can't bring myself to do it, maybe I am getting to old!

Steve.

I already removed the rear boxes from my LS. They are not silencers, but resonators.

The system - from the front - goes 2 cats, into 1 pipe, single centre resonator, pipe splits into two, two centre silencers, two rear resonators.

It has made pretty much no difference in the sound at all by removing the rear resonators. Next step for me will be the centre resonator, as per this chap...

I think you should go to confession as soon as possible for having such a wicked thought, not even sure if such a thought is forgivable! :shutit:

I think you should go to confession as soon as possible for having such a wicked thought, not even sure if such a thought is forgivable! :shutit:

You'll hate my LS then...

Would doing this cause any damage/excess wear to the engine at all?

Love that deep rumble :)

No reason an exhaust will effect the running of an engine, although a very short one would result in lack of back pressure.

I've seen Lexus V8s installed into all sorts of cars running straight through exhausts, no silencing at all.

• 2 weeks later...

This clip sounds nice without being too vulgar. I would like that deep burble without it screaming like some people round my way have done to Range Rovers.

That is what I'm after, but I want the cheap version!! I think I'll have an experiment this week, and take off the two back box's and record the sound. If it sounds right (I just want that V8 burble) I'll see if I can get some tail pipes made up, and leave the box's off until the MOT!!

That is what I'm after, but I want the cheap version!! I think I'll have an experiment this week, and take off the two back box's and record the sound. If it sounds right (I just want that V8 burble) I'll see if I can get some tail pipes made up, and leave the box's off until the MOT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCdQPOHCrw8

Here's mine with the rear resonators removed. It's really not that much louder than stock.

I would use my iPhone to record, while its clipped into its holder. Cant get it done this week, bills to pay :(

Taking the rear resonators off doesn't cost anything.

Just 2 mins and an angle grinder! ;)

Well, I do want some nice tips to put there. I dont want to drive my car around looking like some chav chariot!!

That can come later, the rear pipes are downturned anyway, so you wouldn't even be able to tell from the rear unless you got down on the ground.

The 'legal' bit is a non issue anyway - the volume is basically at the MOT testers discretion, something like "is it significantly louder than you think a stock exhaust should be".

The exhaust layout is as simple as literally just pulling the rear boxes off (they are on a sleeve joint with a rubber gasket in which is a bitch to remove) and replacing with some stainless pipe. The LS I've got had the downturned exhaust exits cut off and some chrome-ish tips fitted, with small square sections removed from the rear bumper to allow these to poke through, so that's pretty straight forward.

If you're interested this is what a 1UZ sounds like with no silencers on it at all :lol: It did still have the CATs and the Y pipe attached, though.