Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I love being part of our forum community. You have a little problem, you put it up there and we all help out if we can. Happy days.

I am also on the Rover 75 forum because im stupid enough to have a Rover 75 CDT. That too is a great community of helpful like minded owners.

So what have we Lexus owners to be cheerful about?

Well, the Lexus forum, like i say, has posts about the odd little niggle.

The Rover forum has everything from trim dropping off to major mechanical disasters. And i mean a lot of them. Common problems (very common) "car wont start, AC not working, clutch failed, springs broken, engine warning lights on, cooling fan packed up, emmission, tracking (would you believe they all came out of the factory scrubbing the NSR tyre to bits) auto gear box failure, Mass Air Flow failures, stuck thermastat, fuel pump failures. The list is endless. If Rover fitted it, "it " will probably be faulty.

So there you are. Lexus. 1 big reason to be cheerful. Thanks Lexus. And i bloody love mine. :driving:

ROFLMFAO!! Love the "Over" picture!

I learnt to drive in a Rover 214, I also learnt how to smack a starter motor back to life with a 2lb ball hammer in the same weeks!

Every day routine:

Get up, **** shower shave, get dressed, smack starter motor, start lesson!!

Brian :)

Been there,, I had a OVER 220 coupe. 3 years old. Done all the mods I wanted, hifi, lowered, debadged that sorta thing. In the 7years I owned it it had 2 engines a gearbox and always leaked oil. Gave up in the end. Mk2 golf next that was very reliable,,, show car,,, and now the LEX.. Love the lex ... Apart from mk4 alloys it's standard and will be owned for many years to come.

Steve

Let's not forget the K series cylinder head problems!!!

roverbadge.jpg

Steve, that is just brilliant.. i didnt spot it until i read britrb`s comment.

Id love to put that up on the Rover forum but i think ill wait until ive sold the Rover and dont need their help any more. Im sure some of my fellow Rover owners wont find it funny. And they are a very helpful bunch.

As for the 1.8 cylinder head issue. It doesnt come up any more so i assume they are all dead or sorted.

I've had 2 Coupes in the past.

A K plate I bought in 97 (216) and an S reg (218 VVC) I bought 3 years ago, both were around the 65k mark.

I have to say I didn't have one bit of bother from either of them.

The FDHs' were a rare breed and had a bit of power for a 220.

Rovers' answer to the horrific Calibra and TBH they were a decent car in their day,esp after the subtle upgrades.

Was not aware what fdh meant til I read ur link.. I had a 94 220 non turbo. At the same time my mate had a genuine 3rd hatch tomcat.

That was amazing in performance if very unreliable and expensive. I think I was just unlucky with my cars problems at the time. The coupe was the best looking rover they done in my opinion at the time.

Steve

I owned a Rover for quite some time until May 2002 when I purchased my 1st Lexus ('96 GS300 Sport) My Rover was actually extremely reliable with no breakdowns/problems. It was a Rover 827 SI Auto. Possibly the reason for its reliability was the Honda running gear.

Years ago a mate had a Rover 100. I still reckon it had just about the smoothest nicest most comfortable suspension of any car I've ever been in. Even the LS.

Wasn't the 100 a Metro in disguise?

I love being part of our forum community. You have a little problem, you put it up there and we all help out if we can. Happy days.

I am also on the Rover 75 forum because im stupid enough to have a Rover 75 CDT. That too is a great community of helpful like minded owners.

So what have we Lexus owners to be cheerful about?

Well, the Lexus forum, like i say, has posts about the odd little niggle.

The Rover forum has everything from trim dropping off to major mechanical disasters. And i mean a lot of them. Common problems (very common) "car wont start, AC not working, clutch failed, springs broken, engine warning lights on, cooling fan packed up, emmission, tracking (would you believe they all came out of the factory scrubbing the NSR tyre to bits) auto gear box failure, Mass Air Flow failures, stuck thermastat, fuel pump failures. The list is endless. If Rover fitted it, "it " will probably be faulty.

So there you are. Lexus. 1 big reason to be cheerful. Thanks Lexus. And i bloody love mine. :driving:

Likewise I'm on a Vauxhall forum, endless stuff going wrong (but a much more common car of course)

However, a pollen filter for my Vauxhall was £12, I was quoted £67 this week from Lexus, guess what I won't be buying?

mmm interetsing..

I've had 15 years of being a very loyal VW owner, and never had any real issues..

i bought a Toyota about 6 months ago and keep having to spend out on it, bought my LS400 a few days ago and its giving me grief already..

but i must say, what a car so far, second only to a friends Audi S8 for smoothness - just hope i can get it sorted with little hassle

mmm interetsing..

I've had 15 years of being a very loyal VW owner, and never had any real issues..

i bought a Toyota about 6 months ago and keep having to spend out on it, bought my LS400 a few days ago and its giving me grief already..

but i must say, what a car so far, second only to a friends Audi S8 for smoothness - just hope i can get it sorted with little hassle

To be fair, my wife has had her Vauxhall for 7 years without any problems. If you look on this forum it seems the most common posts are from IS owners, not surprising as they are the most common Lexus. I can travel 200 miles and see loads but rarely do I see an LS.

To be fair, my wife has had her Vauxhall for 7 years without any problems. If you look on this forum it seems the most common posts are from IS owners, not surprising as they are the most common Lexus. I can travel 200 miles and see loads but rarely do I see an LS.

thats the same anywhere - on the Passat forum there are loads of issues with the latest model, but I've ha dno issues with mine

seems all the issues on here for the Ls seem to be coolant related - its what mine is...

Hope its an easy fix

thats the same anywhere - on the Passat forum there are loads of issues with the latest model, but I've ha dno issues with mine

seems all the issues on here for the Ls seem to be coolant related - its what mine is...

Hope its an easy fix

Hi Lawsy,

Sorry to hear you are having a few problems. Let us know what they are and im sure we will be able to find a fix.

I love the Over logo.

I have had various Rovers in the past. The worst was a new 820 which was the biggest bag of proverbial you could get. In more recent times I have had 2 827's. The last one a restoration project bodywise but mechanicaly good. The previous one was amongst the best cars I have ever owned. In fact I would rank it 4th

1 LS400

2 Shogun

3 Galant

4 827

I have test driven various Rovers for son/daughter in the past including an auto 216 which, when it did change gear, was like running into a wall.

I had a K-reg Rover 820 Turbo (Mk1 turbo, not a Vitesse). After a very expensive turbo swap (to try to cure persistant smoking & oil use) it finally burnt its head out on the M11. I forget the mileage, but it was sub 100k. My L-reg (i.e. one year younger) LS400 is, of course, still driving like nearly-new, 200k miles later. Although a peek though the history file shows quite a lot of work has been done in the past.

I had a Vauxhall Senator which, in fairness, rarely gave me any trouble; the most entertaining fault being the occasional "brown backfire" (literally, bang! Followed by a cloud of brown smoke - or, most likely, very fine rust particles :lol:), which was curable by pushing the HT lead firmly back into the dizzy cap (it tended to wander loose). The chap who bought it from me had no end of hassle with it, and ended up crushing it (for shame).

I had a 2000 Jag S-type which cost £11k to buy, another £7k to keep on the road in the few years I owned it, and eventually sold for around £6k. That was a disaster of a car & swore me off Jags forever. Although I probably wouldn't say no to a well turned out 5.3HE XJS...

I had a K-reg Rover 820 Turbo (Mk1 turbo, not a Vitesse). After a very expensive turbo swap (to try to cure persistant smoking & oil use) it finally burnt its head out on the M11. I forget the mileage, but it was sub 100k. My L-reg (i.e. one year younger) LS400 is, of course, still driving like nearly-new, 200k miles later. Although a peek though the history file shows quite a lot of work has been done in the past.

I had a Vauxhall Senator which, in fairness, rarely gave me any trouble; the most entertaining fault being the occasional "brown backfire" (literally, bang! Followed by a cloud of brown smoke - or, most likely, very fine rust particles :lol:), which was curable by pushing the HT lead firmly back into the dizzy cap (it tended to wander loose). The chap who bought it from me had no end of hassle with it, and ended up crushing it (for shame).

I had a 2000 Jag S-type which cost £11k to buy, another £7k to keep on the road in the few years I owned it, and eventually sold for around £6k. That was a disaster of a car & swore me off Jags forever. Although I probably wouldn't say no to a well turned out 5.3HE XJS...

Hang on a minute...you had an X type that was a disaster but you wouldnt say no to a XJS?

Are you mad? I cannot help laughing while i type this. I love the XJS and especially the 5.3 V12 but it has got to be one of the most unreliable luxury cars ever made. :blink:

Hang on a minute...you had an X type that was a disaster but you wouldnt say no to a XJS?

No, An "S" type - the one that was supposed to hark back to the old Mk2 - the X-type was a Mundano in drag...

Are you mad? I cannot help laughing while i type this. I love the XJS and especially the 5.3 V12 but it has got to be one of the most unreliable luxury cars ever made. :blink:

Yeah, well, I know, but.... they just look so good, and that V12 sound (assuming it starts, and doesn't immediately fall out of the car due to rot)... Obviously, I'd keep the Lexus for whenever I actually needed to be somewhere that wasn't the motorway hard shoulder; but still...