Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is00 Timing Belt Question

Hi everyone,

I know there has been some talk about the timing belts on the IS200 series.

There is conflicting information however in the site.

My belt was changed on spec at 60,000 miles. It is now at 80,000 miles so I believe that all that is needed for now is to have it visually inspected to make sure it has not slipped/worn on the cambelt cover.

Once this is done then it remains in situ until 100,000 miles when it is next due change.

Some people have stated that it should be changed 20,000 miles later so should I change it now or just get it inspected?

Also seems Toyota garage is the way to go not Lexus due to the age of my car 2001.

They have the knowledge to do the belt even if you loose out on not having the Lexus stamp, not worth it for my car!

Any advice most welcome thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. It's just that some members on this site have mentioned that they have checked theirs after inital fitting say after 20,000 miles and have found that it has worn to some degree on the cambelt cover i.e. belt has slipped slightly. Maybe the fit was incorrect or tension?

I guess it takes a little getting used to with all the horror stories that the belt can be left for another 60,000!

Thanks again

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. It's just that some members on this site have mentioned that they have checked theirs after inital fitting say after 20,000 miles and have found that it has worn to some degree on the cambelt cover i.e. belt has slipped slightly. Maybe the fit was incorrect or tension?

I guess it takes a little getting used to with all the horror stories that the belt can be left for another 60,000!

Thanks again

I think it's part of the Lexus service schedule to inspect the belt at some point but not sure how often it's done. It shouldn't need replacement before 60k or 6 yrs though.

The handbook said 60k, the garage said 100k, just had mine done at 110k/11 years, 4 months. The garage said it would've gone another 20k~ish.

Hi guys,

Thanks again

You can remove the top cover on the front of the engine and check for yourself the state of your timing belt. If it is thin, replace it.

Checkout these links:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=57335&view=findpost&p=637641

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=71605

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=69423

Hope that helps!

The handbook said 60k, the garage said 100k, just had mine done at 110k/11 years, 4 months. The garage said it would've gone another 20k~ish.

Yep it was 100k originally, but they had instances of premature wear so it was reduced to 60k. I'm sure in some cases it will last longer but not necessarily worth taking the risk given the cost of repair should the belt let go.

Reading this thread worried me slightly. Going by the services history provided by the previous owner, it suggested the belt change was done a good 30k miles ago. After a quick check, I'm much relieved!

DSCF5064.jpg

Brilliant reply's guys thanks, but like I stated in my original post and now verified by one of the links there is a quote which states

"this is why the belts must be checked every 10k after the 60k service. the tensioner pulley wears and as you can see pushes the belt onto the cover, wearing it down to nothing. ive never come across one thats snapped yet but i have found them as small as 9-10mm!!!! so do please check your belts its easy to do".

So I do wonder how many of you do in fact bother to check or if you just leave it for the 100,000 or 6 years.

Mine has done an additional 20,000 so I am tempted to check it to make sure it has not slipped or worn.

Be good to know how many others have done this or noted problems.

The pulley is changed with the belt as part of the service schedule - makes sense. When Lexus did mine in 2007 the belt cost about £30 and the tensioner cost £50.