Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member With Key Problem

stamper

hello to all, im a newbie having just bought the missus a is200 52/03 plate, the car only came with 1 grey key and i need to know how to get a master key and or spare keys. any help would be appreciated. i live in rotherham, thanks to all.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Buying a used Lexus,or any make to be honest without the master key creates problems in that without the master key you cannot program replacement keys and to replace the master usually means getting the dealer to reprogram or even replace the security ECU and the key itself.

This obviously is not cheap possibly in excess of £500.00 so I hope you haggled that amount in discount when you bought the car without a master key.

It may be worth ringing your local Lexus dealer to see if they can provide a replacement master key from your VIN but expect a £200.00 bill if they can.

What ever you do don't lose the only key you have or your new IS will instantly turn into a nice stationary exhibit :whistling:

hello to all, im a newbie having just bought the missus a is200 52/03 plate, the car only came with 1 grey key and i need to know how to get a master key and or spare keys. any help would be appreciated. i live in rotherham, thanks to all.

hi there and thanks for reply, no i didnt haggle in price as i didnt realise this was a problem with the keys until i bought the car!!!!. think i read up on all other major things except keys, dumb me. having read other threads i now realise ive dropped an almighty b******!!!. is it possible to just have a spare normal key with no remote do you know???

Hi,

As far as I'm aware the key needs to have a transponder inside which is synchronised to the security system,when the key is inserted the car detects the code and disarms the immobiliser allowing the car to be started,so a normal unchipped key won't work.

I would ask the previous owner to have another search to see if the master can be found it would save you loads of hassle and money!

If you only have the grey key this is normally the "valet" key which will not unlock the boot or glovebox and will also only have 2 buttons,the remote boot release is on the 3 button master only.

Some info on the link below which may help you re obtaining a replacement master key,blank key blade to have cut and possibly how to reprogram it :D

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t26120.html

Hi,

As far as I'm aware the key needs to have a transponder inside which is synchronised to the security system,when the key is inserted the car detects the code and disarms the immobiliser allowing the car to be started,so a normal unchipped key won't work.

I would ask the previous owner to have another search to see if the master can be found it would save you loads of hassle and money!

If you only have the grey key this is normally the "valet" key which will not unlock the boot or glovebox and will also only have 2 buttons,the remote boot release is on the 3 button master only.

Some info on the link below which may help you re obtaining a replacement master key,blank key blade to have cut and possibly how to reprogram it :D

http://www.lexusowne...php/t26120.html

hi steve, thanks again for your reeply and help, i will have a good read through, thanks again.

Have a look at this:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=72338&st=0&p=751919entry751919

For info, I've had a similar(ish) issue...

Mine only came with 1 master key, (got a spare off ebay), had it cut, but couldnt program it myself.

Hence a trip to Lexus Guildford who said that they could program the spare- once I was there i was told that my master key isnt a master at all, it just looks like one and that infact they couldnt program the spare.

They did however give me the card of an auto locksmith who can make a copy of the key for 105 plus vat (sorry, using a german keyboard and cant find the pound sign..).

That will be just a copy and not a master though, so any other spare keys I'd require will also cost 105 to do.

I've spoken to a locksmiths in Gatwick who have told me they can make a master key for my Is300 from the current and the cost will be between 100 and 150 once they've had a chance to look at it..

Its booked in for Wednesday, so shall update after that.

J

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links