Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should I Trade In My Is200 Sport

Hi all

After reading this 'My Is250 Sport Experiences' i am having second thoughts on trading my IS200 Sport in for a IS220 Sport MM/IS250 Sport Auto MM,

has anyone else experienced these problems, your thoughts welcome

Leigh

Hi all

After reading this 'My Is250 Sport Experiences' i am having second thoughts on trading my IS200 Sport in for a IS220 Sport MM/IS250 Sport Auto MM,

has anyone else experienced these problems, your thoughts welcome

Leigh

Just as with the IS200, there is nothing remotely sporty about "Sport" IS220Ds/250s. Applying the word to the Diesel is a bit of a joke, definitely more bowl of porridge than ball of fire. Versions have better overall gearing a little less inappropriate to the engine.

This site shows the 220D has many more problems and niggles than petrol versions - but still looks good and is a bit cheaper to run. Compared with IS200 or IS250; the IS220D is noticeably rough - but only what you would expect from a 4-cyl diesel compared with 6-cyl petrol engines.

The general conclusion is that the IS250 with an AUTO box & MM is the best, least troublesome of the breed with economy that may well be better than your IS200.

Just to add a little to the reply with the line... "nothing remotely sporty " can i suggest you go and look up some of the so called "sports coupes" both petrol and diesel and let me know how many hit 134 mph ? ..lets say upto 2L for petrol and 2.2L. for diesel.oh,and make sure they have great handling at speed in corners too... not many is there?. :winky: .ive had fast cars for last 15 yrs. and im very happy with the performance of my 220d looks good great to drive.and has a good turn of speed.. not great off the mark but it is a diesel :P .. but for a "sports diesel" its very good

IS =intelligent sports... nuff said :)

While I might consider trading in my IS200, it wouldn't be to get the 2nd (or even 3rd) gen IS. I don't like the styling and there are a huge number of posts from IS220/IS250 owners who were disappointed with mpg, performance, build quality or reliability...

Just my own opinion - but I'd stick with the IS200 if I was you :)

Just to add a little to the reply with the line... "nothing remotely sporty " can i suggest you go and look up some of the so called "sports coupes" both petrol and diesel and let me know how many hit 134 mph ? ..lets say upto 2L for petrol and 2.2L. for diesel.oh,and make sure they have great handling at speed in corners too... not many is there?. :winky: .ive had fast cars for last 15 yrs. and im very happy with the performance of my 220d looks good great to drive.and has a good turn of speed.. not great off the mark but it is a diesel :P .. but for a "sports diesel" its very good

IS =intelligent sports... nuff said :)

Do not disagree with what you say - but was trying to point out that with Lexus, "Sport" more refers to trim than anything else - with performance identical to non-sport versions.

Your "not great off the mark but it is a diesel" tends to reinforce the IS220D's lack of Sporting credentials. Everything is relative, but connecting "Sport" to diesels is about as realistic as connecting "Ambassador" to Ferrero-Rocher chocs.

I still think that as a replacement for the IS200 from the 2nd Gen IS range; the IS250 Auto MM will tick the most boxes. People also seem to have fewer moans about them on this forum and in surveys.

Incidentally, I believe IS actually stands for International Saloon :<)

Point taken ;) but was just saying about the so called sports diesels out there that this being Lexus first go at a decent one was a good effort.and seems everyones out to knock them.. i did try a saab "psorts diesel" but found the handling very poor on corners to be honest.and tried the 220D and was really surprised with the sharp handling etc..obviously a diesel isnt in the same power as a petrol.but makes a nice change to have a decently quick diesel.though im looking to maybe trade up to a 250 or the is-f model soon.

by the way my last message might have come acrodss negative. if so,it wasnt meant to. :)

grats on the IS-F by the way !!

I've come from Subaru's and BMWs and find the IS (250 auto MM) heavy, slow, quiet, smooth but poorly screwed together. The brakes are poor and wear out fast but at least they are cheap.

I started looking for something else within a few of months of getting mine as I realised that Lexus quality/reliability/customer service is no better (worse in some areas) than other manufacturers. I'll probably stick with it for now as it is a comfy undemanding drive and I still enjoy the toys but I confess to being somewhat underwhelmed by the whole experience.

Sorting the interior quality, brakes and giving it a tiny bit more rear legroom would make a world of difference but while its steering is sharp you could never say it handles particularly well. This and the poor customer service has lost them a new RX sale to my wife............ thankfully!!!!