Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Might Be Keeping It So Some More Questions

I may just give eBay another try (I pulled the last ad early because I didn't really want to let the old girl go) but it looks like I will end up keeping her. If that is the case then I have some questions:

1. Is it still worth doing an LPG conversion on 190,000 miles (I have complete service history on the car - 18 stamps I think).

2. I have the occasional knock/rattle when going over bumpy bits from I would guess the front upper control arms. Has anyone bought replacements from the US at all and if so what is the quality like? I was thinking specifically of Arnott . Also if I was to get my garage to do them does anyone have any idea what would be a reasonable fitting time for both left and right hand side?

I've seen that UCA's can be bought from eBay but I'm not sure as to how long they'd last and the overall quality of them. I'd hate to get cheapy ones only to discover that they are way below manufacturer tolerances. But then I don't want to pay £1300 to a main dealer either :P

If anyone HAS got them from eBay which supplier did you use and are you happy with the quality?

I wasn't happy when the eBay supplied ones failed at very low mileage (balljoint very loose and gaiters split). It looks like they just press in new inner bushes and fit a new (sub standard) gaiter over the existing ball joint.

As there was nothing wrong with my originals, I put them back on (was trying to cure wheel shake which turned out to be discs), but couldn't get a refund and had to take a pair of replacements instead. They are now wall ornaments in my garage, but would do as a stop gap if needed.

I got them here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330306236922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Pete

No I didn't - 5 months and 4,000 miles - here's my letter to the supplier:

Hi,

I purchased a pair of the upper arms for my Lexus LS 400 from you on February 11th this year and had them fitted by my garage a few days later.

Whilst I was in the garage today (Brake pad fitting), my mechanic noticed severe wear on the ball joint on the N/S unit (Mot failure), and that both ball joint rubber covers were completely perished therefore allowing water to penetrate the joint.

Both these units must be faulty as my car has only done around 4 thousand miles since fitting.

I would like to respectfully ask for a refund for these items, as I would imagine that a similar failure would occur with replacements.

Many thanks.

No I didn't - 5 months and 4,000 miles - here's my letter to the supplier:

Hi,

I purchased a pair of the upper arms for my Lexus LS 400 from you on February 11th this year and had them fitted by my garage a few days later.

Whilst I was in the garage today (Brake pad fitting), my mechanic noticed severe wear on the ball joint on the N/S unit (Mot failure), and that both ball joint rubber covers were completely perished therefore allowing water to penetrate the joint.

Both these units must be faulty as my car has only done around 4 thousand miles since fitting.

I would like to respectfully ask for a refund for these items, as I would imagine that a similar failure would occur with replacements.

Many thanks.

They do have a 100% feedback if its the ones in the link above so they may well give you a refund they must know what rubbish they are selling.

Sometimes the cheapest route is the most exspensive route a lesson to all of us.

Mike

I may just give ebay another try (I pulled the last ad early because I didn't really want to let the old girl go) but it looks like I will end up keeping her. If that is the case then I have some questions:

1. Is it still worth doing an LPG conversion on 190,000 miles (I have complete service history on the car - 18 stamps I think).

2. I have the occasional knock/rattle when going over bumpy bits from I would guess the front upper control arms. Has anyone bought replacements from the US at all and if so what is the quality like? I was thinking specifically of Arnott . Also if I was to get my garage to do them does anyone have any idea what would be a reasonable fitting time for both left and right hand side?

I've seen that UCA's can be bought from ebay but I'm not sure as to how long they'd last and the overall quality of them. I'd hate to get cheapy ones only to discover that they are way below manufacturer tolerances. But then I don't want to pay £1300 to a main dealer either :P

If anyone HAS got them from ebay which supplier did you use and are you happy with the quality?

Are you sure the knock/rattle is a worn joint? There has been a few posts recently with the same issue, the latest response from chloesdaddy on May 4. Mine has had a couple of issues with knocks and rattles which I was convinced was worn joints/bushes but both times it was brake caliper pins or sliders being worn. Packed with fresh grease has cured it both times, the latest just this morning!

I may just give ebay another try (I pulled the last ad early because I didn't really want to let the old girl go) but it looks like I will end up keeping her. If that is the case then I have some questions:

I've seen that UCA's can be bought from ebay but I'm not sure as to how long they'd last and the overall quality of them. I'd hate to get cheapy ones only to discover that they are way below manufacturer tolerances. But then I don't want to pay £1300 to a main dealer either :P

If anyone HAS got them from ebay which supplier did you use and are you happy with the quality?

Are you sure the knock/rattle is a worn joint? There has been a few posts recently with the same issue, the latest response from chloesdaddy on May 4. Mine has had a couple of issues with knocks and rattles which I was convinced was worn joints/bushes but both times it was brake caliper pins or sliders being worn. Packed with fresh grease has cured it both times, the latest just this morning!

Yes - the knocking seems to happen when going over a poor road surface that has small bumps in very quick succession (bit like a driving over a cobbled street). Drive on the motorway/smooth A road and it's perfect.

Yes - the knocking seems to happen when going over a poor road surface that has small bumps in very quick succession (bit like a driving over a cobbled street). Drive on the motorway/smooth A road and it's perfect.

Exactly the same as mine, slight uneveness in the road surface and I got a very noticable knocking sound, smooth roads no problem. As soon as I greased the calipers the knocking went, worth trying, only takes 15 mins per side.

Exactly the same as mine, slight uneveness in the road surface and I got a very noticable knocking sound, smooth roads no problem. As soon as I greased the calipers the knocking went, worth trying, only takes 15 mins per side.

Thanks I'll give that a go first and see what happens.

Does anyone have any views on converting a 190,000m car to LPG? Too high or still doable?

What is your annual mileage you would complete in your LS?

Probably 10-12k

With petrol at an average of £1.35/litre, and LPG at £0.79/litre, plus taking a typical LPG conversion at £1500, and an average fuel consumption of 24MPG, it would take around 18 months for you to effectively pay for the installation costs of the LPG system. That's 18 months before you see any savings at all.

You'll need to bear that in mind, how long were you thinking of keeping the LS400 for once converted?

Probably 10-12k

With petrol at an average of £1.35/litre, and LPG at £0.79/litre, plus taking a typical LPG conversion at £1500, and an average fuel consumption of 24MPG, it would take around 18 months for you to effectively pay for the installation costs of the LPG system. That's 18 months before you see any savings at all.

You'll need to bear that in mind, how long were you thinking of keeping the LS400 for once converted?

Hmmm - thanks for that. I'm anticipating at least 12 months. But presumably the car will be worth a little more if it is LPG converted so hopefully I'd get back a reasonable proportion of the cost. I guess the issue is would someone buy an LPG 400 with over 200,000 miles on it.

Probably 10-12k

Hmmm - thanks for that. I'm anticipating at least 12 months. But presumably the car will be worth a little more if it is LPG converted so hopefully I'd get back a reasonable proportion of the cost. I guess the issue is would someone buy an LPG 400 with over 200,000 miles on it.

It's all a gamble really, it's been said that if things settle down in the middle east oil prices could fall again. Personally I would want to keep a car for quite some time if I were to have an LPG conversion.

Probably 10-12k

Sorry, but in my head that makes no sense at all.

In 12 months time, you'll be around £500 worse off if you convert the car to LPG, than if you continued to just use petrol.

Even if you recoup the £500 difference through selling the car, you're still no better off, so I don't see the point in going to all that trouble for zero benefit.

Probably 10-12k

Sorry, but in my head that makes no sense at all.

In 12 months time, you'll be around £500 worse off if you convert the car to LPG, than if you continued to just use petrol.

Even if you recoup the £500 difference through selling the car, you're still no better off, so I don't see the point in going to all that trouble for zero benefit.

Thanks for your help on this. At least that's one less thing to think of.