Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've still got it! I keep looking at it and thinking I can't pass it on. So I've got some used tyres off our friend here.

So, I went to the local used tyre dealer and he offered me for changing these, disposal of the baldies, new valves and balancing for £15 per cover.

Does that sound about right?

Nice to be back.

Happy beautiful Spring

I usually pay £7 per tyre at National Tyres... I've been quoted £15 before by places, but IMO thats just way too much for fitting and balancing a tyre!

That price is not that far off the mark. In the end, it depends on how many options you have got in your local area. Around me, none of the national chain tyre fitting places will fit tyres that they didn't supply, so it comes down to small independents. Currently I pay £10-£14 for 18" tyres to be fitted depending where I am.

I usually pay £7 per tyre at National Tyres... I've been quoted £15 before by places, but IMO thats just way too much for fitting and balancing a tyre!

Removing a wheel, taking off the old tyre, putting a new one on, and balancing and putting back on the car, takes about 15 mins.

So multiply that buy four to get an hourly turnover of £60.

The member of staff changing the tyre won't be a minimum wage monkey, probably on around £15/hr, plus all of the other overheads associated with the business, plus the cost of disposal of the tyres, I don't thing £15/tyre is that expensive.

Are there any jobs going fitting tyres @ £15.00 an hour,thinking of a career change from electronics with that rate!

LOL exactly, no damn tyre fitter is going to get pain £15 an hour, just LOL!!!!!!!

The member of staff changing the tyre won't be a minimum wage monkey, probably on around £15/hr

I wouldnt call them monkeys, but they are hardly highly trained technicians, they will be pretty much on minimum wage, well not much above it anyway.... Even trained mechanics dont get anywhere near £15 an hour, nevermind a tyre fitter!

I think i'll stick to my £7 tyre changes at national tyres, includes wheel removal, new valves, balancing and refitting, disposal of old tyres...basically the lot B) :winky:

I got a puncture on my Suzuki bike the other day-a 10mm hole punched cleanly right through the centre portion of the tread-too big to repair safely (in my eyes at least). I wondered what the really loud "bang" was!

So that was a new tyre, £10 wheel removal charge (1 nut to undo), and a few quid for balance, valve and tyre disposal, so total of £147 for a tyre that will last no more that 4,000 miles.

Got chatting to the fitter and he said that they no longer fit tyres they do not supply-the likes of Black Circles are doing the trade any favours, and the saving to the consumer he reckons isn't that much overall. From hearing about the bikes he owns, he was no minimum wage monkey!

There are quite a lot of used tyre places near me, and all gaunrentee what they fit as having no damage or defects.

I'm pretty sure I paid £20 per corner fitted valved & balanced, and that included the tyres (part worn, admittedly, not that you'd know) - so I'd balk at £15 to fit/balance my own rubber.

Pretty sure I used to pay £5 a time at Bathers (Birkenhead), but they were clearly race tyres & not ones he could have supplied even if he'd wanted to. He did struggle with them too (very very low profile & very wide...) - that was a few years ago though, so I imagine he's up to £10/corner by now.