Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 98 Model With Two Faults. Airbag, Rear Window

Hello

Just bought a LS400 1998 for my mother to run about in but has two faults.

The faults are listed below.

1) Airbag light flashes on and off all the time.

2) Rear passengers window closes but then returns to half way down after reaching fully closed.

Got to hold the button in close postion and pull the car out befor the window reopens on its own. Put key back in ignition and the window drops down. Is it the switch panel on the door??

Before I start striping and searching for the faults have anybody had this on the 1998-1999 model of LS400.

The only info I can give is the car has been sitting around for a few weeks with the Battery going low so don't know if that has effected an airbag sensor that needs resetting.

So how do you reset the sensors on this model so I can try this first.

Baz.

Hello

2) Rear passengers window closes but then returns to half way down after reaching fully closed.

Got to hold the button in close postion and pull the car out befor the window reopens on its own. Put key back in ignition and the window drops down. Is it the switch panel on the door??

Before I start striping and searching for the faults have anybody had this on the 1998-1999 model of LS400.

The only info I can give is the car has been sitting around for a few weeks with the battery going low so don't know if that has effected an airbag sensor that needs resetting.

Baz.

Does the one touch work on the other windows?

Andy

Yes it does.

I found out today after looking at the histroy and a quick call I found the car has been parked up more or less the whole winter and only covered 2,000 miles in the last two years so wondering if it's a damp problem or low Battery power. Like going flat and messing with the system when reconnected Battery etc.

I'm going to swap Battery around with other ls I have and see where I go from there.

I want to know how to delete the current ecu errors on the year of ls. I know the earlier models you can remove a certain fuse but not sure on this one yet. Anyone know or done it?

Barrie.

I picked this up from another site.

"It sounds like the normal 'stop position' function has died, so the window is overtravelling, and then when it hits the end of the available travel, the overcurrent (anti trapping) device is being triggered by the excess current, and operating the 'bounce back' function. This is designed to stop the window from garotting children with the window (or traffic wardens!)"

They fixed the problem by resetting the system, So how do you do it on this model of Lexus?

I picked this up from another site.

"It sounds like the normal 'stop position' function has died, so the window is overtravelling, and then when it hits the end of the available travel, the overcurrent (anti trapping) device is being triggered by the excess current, and operating the 'bounce back' function. This is designed to stop the window from garotting children with the window (or traffic wardens!)"

They fixed the problem by resetting the system, So how do you do it on this model of Lexus?

I think you put the window down halfway,then press the up switch but continue to hold it in the up position for 4-5 seconds after the window has fully closed,then release the button.

The air bag light may be due to a faulty/loose connector under the drivers seat,no doubt the seat was repositioned on purchase and if it has not been moved for a few years could cause the problem.

A diagnostic check should also show the air bag fault.

I'll try the half way window down and up in the morning.

Plugged into the ecu and reset the airbag light as it was a very old fault. The fault was for both sides of the main dash airbags. Light now out and everything ok. Just got squeaking brake pads which are blue print make so going to change them along with giving the car a really good service which includes plug oils and filters. The car came with histroy stamps some lexus but the oils and filters are black. Burnt transmission oil along with the pollen filter being very black and the air filter.

Have got the window washer fault but that have been covered before and seems the float is stuck up the one end.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try the half way window down and up in the morning.

Plugged into the ecu and reset the airbag light as it was a very old fault. The fault was for both sides of the main dash airbags. Light now out and everything ok. Just got squeaking brake pads which are blue print make so going to change them along with giving the car a really good service which includes plug oils and filters. The car came with histroy stamps some lexus but the oils and filters are black. Burnt transmission oil along with the pollen filter being very black and the air filter.

Have got the window washer fault but that have been covered before and seems the float is stuck up the one end.

I had the same window problem with my MK IV. Took it toLexus and after about 3 attempts to fix, had to order a new motor assembly to fix it. Ouch cost about £290.00. All fixed wonderfully and great to know I can open al the windows and moonroof in this hot weather to cool it off before getting in.

The quick fix before that was to make sure the window was at the top and then isolate the back window.

Hello

The only info I can give is the car has been sitting around for a few weeks with the battery going low so don't know if that has effected an airbag sensor that needs resetting.

Baz.

An LS for your mother to run around in? What a good son, most mothers would have to make do with a Korean mini!! :lol: