Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low Fuel Light On Dash Even When I Put £30.00 In All Other Items On Da

hi a i am brand new lexus owner ( had 7 series for ten years ) car has just had a health check from lexus main dealer and when i filled up with £30.00 of petrol the low fuel light still stays on , rang lexus and the guy said the float has probably stuck ... help what do i do ... baz in bolton

hi a i am brand new lexus owner ( had 7 series for ten years ) car has just had a health check from lexus main dealer and when i filled up with £30.00 of petrol the low fuel light still stays on , rang lexus and the guy said the float has probably stuck ... help what do i do ... baz in bolton

I had a similar problem with the sensor for the windshield wiper fluid - it took me a very long time to fill it up but even overflowing it was still showing the empty light. Lexus suggested replacing the sensor (a little over £100 just for the sensor so I passed up the opportunity). Several months later, for no apparent reason it fixed itself! Of course I do realize that with the fuel gauge it is quite critical. Personally I would fill up the tank to the brim and this might just move the float off. (yes, there is the matter of the cost - if really low figure somewhere between £80-£90, ouch!) If it doesn't I would guesstimate about 300 mls (to be on the safe side) on a full tank. To bear in mind that if you were running on empty £30 would not make a huge difference. No doubt, one of the more technically-minded guys on here might have better advice. Welcome to the LOC and enjoy the ride!

I had a similar problem with the sensor for the windshield wiper fluid - it took me a very long time to fill it up but even overflowing it was still showing the empty light. Lexus suggested replacing the sensor (a little over £100 just for the sensor so I passed up the opportunity). Several months later, for no apparent reason it fixed itself! Of course I do realize that with the fuel gauge it is quite critical. Personally I would fill up the tank to the brim and this might just move the float off. (yes, there is the matter of the cost - if really low figure somewhere between £80-£90, ouch!) If it doesn't I would guesstimate about 300 mls (to be on the safe side) on a full tank. To bear in mind that if you were running on empty £30 would not make a huge difference. No doubt, one of the more technically-minded guys on here might have better advice. Welcome to the LOC and enjoy the ride!

Try some Redex in the tank,say half the small retail bottle..won't

do any harm, might just free the float....

On my GS's, there can be 4 gallons plus still left when the light comes on. Depending how low the fuel was, and going on current prices, £30 is right on the cusp of not getting beyond the low level mark anyway. Try some more fuel first ;)

£30 should show 1/3 full on the guage, thats plenty to knock the fuel light off... the problem is the sender unit as Lexus stated,,,

Hi, suggest fill the tank FULL and look to do 400 or so miles per tank ( should be a little more ) and when my orange light shows I know ( from experience ) that it has about 60 miles left in it.

85 litres in total and £120 later fills the tank to the brim !

Malc

£30 should show 1/3 full on the guage, thats plenty to knock the fuel light off... the problem is the sender unit as Lexus stated,,,

The sender unit is accessed by removing the rear seat base and back,it is only available as a complete assembly at around £100.00,question is does your fuel guage work and is it just the low fuel warning light that is on or is the fuel guage also not showing the correct level.

I've never heard of a sender unit failing so would certainly want to eliminate any other possible causes before spending £100.00 plus labour,but there again if the Lexus dealer is convinced let them do the job to prove the case.

Not a Chance of £30 being a 1/3rd tank at the current prices.

Fill it up properly first to make sure.

Not a Chance of £30 being a 1/3rd tank at the current prices.

Fill it up properly first to make sure.

I must be imagining it then, from the empty marker (not below or above!) £30 puts it to a 1/3rd full. mk3 ls400 :rolleyes:

£20 takes it to 1/4 , £40 takes it to just under half..

from below the empty line filling up until the fuel nozzle clicks it costs £110, so realistically when the tank is on the half full mark there should be £55 in it, yes? well no! You do know that pretty much all toyota/lexus tanks/senders are top heavy, ie: the sender of the top half of the fuel takes longer to use up than the lower half.

from my estimations with current fuel prices theres about £47 worth in the lower half (to make it go way past the low level indicator) of the tank and £63 in the upper half

£20 definatly shows 1/4 of a tank from the empty mark, but I can guarantee that if you put £20 in while the tank is 3/4 full, you wouldnt get it to reach the full mark

To say that £30 is right on the cusp of not getting beyond the low level, is ludicrous

:)

Do the maths mate. Your tank is obviously NOT empty. The markers mean nothing. With am extra 3'ish litres to brim the neck, you have a capacity of atleast 88 litres, which is not £110. Regardless of a marker, if you run out of gas and the guage reads a qtr full, you still don't have a qtr of a tank of gas, you have nowt. I assume when you say you are on empty, your light is on? By the maths, you still have at least 12 litres in the tank, add that to what you used while the light is on and I bet you are damn near or even over 4 gallons, which equals how much?

This probably wont help... But... I tanked up on sun . Cost £95 at £1.36.9 ... On a orange light 12 mies in. I always fill up before 20 miles coz I'm chicken even if it will do 60 lol

It's a mk3

Steve.

add that to what you used while the light is on and I bet you are damn near or even over 4 gallons, which equals how much?

but the light comes on with about 1/8th of a tank showing so that means nothing... All I can say is that I can drive about 50 miles from when the light comes on, the needle goes waaay past empty (im talking about another 1/10th) and if I put £30 it will take it to a 1/3rd

If in the same scenario you are only getting the fuel light to go off on the "cusp" then there is something wrong with the sender/guage....

add that to what you used while the light is on and I bet you are damn near or even over 4 gallons, which equals how much?

but the light comes on with about 1/8th of a tank showing so that means nothing... All I can say is that I can drive about 50 miles from when the light comes on, the needle goes waaay past empty (im talking about another 1/10th) and if I put £30 it will take it to a 1/3rd

If in the same scenario you are only getting the fuel light to go off on the "cusp" then there is something wrong with the sender/guage....

You are confusing me mate. The OP wanted to know why his lite was still on after putting in 30 quids worth of gas. I am purely demonstrating (through the maths) that if he was literally on fumes, £30 may not be enough to "definitely" put the light out. So fill up and see if the light goes off, before spending a pot load of money on a problem that may not be there. 10th's, 8th's, qtrs,thirds of a tank make no difference, the physics of fuel fitting in the volume of the tank at a given cost per unit do make a difference.

I dont mean to confuse you, Im basically saying this:

if you had a bone dry tank and put £30 in it, there would be enough fuel there to DEFINATELY go way past the point at which the fuel light is activated...

if you had a bone dry tank and put £30 in it, there would be enough fuel there to DEFINATELY go way past the point at which the fuel light is activated...

How so? I just showed you the maths to prove otherwise. All you have said is that you brim your car from an "indicated" empty for £110, which isn't enough fuel for you to be completely empty.

You are confusing me mate. The OP wanted to know why his lite was still on after putting in 30 quids worth of gas. I am purely demonstrating (through the maths) that if he was literally on fumes, £30 may not be enough to "definitely" put the light out. So fill up and see if the light goes off, before spending a pot load of money on a problem that may not be there. 10th's, 8th's, qtrs,thirds of a tank make no difference, the physics of fuel fitting in the volume of the tank at a given cost per unit do make a difference.

If the OP was running on fumes 10 litres of fuel would be enough to extinguish his low level light, it might come on again with in 5 miles or so but defo would not need anywhere near £30, and thats without doing the maths.

How so? I just showed you the maths to prove otherwise. All you have said is that you brim your car from an "indicated" empty for £110, which isn't enough fuel for you to be completely empty.

forget the maths, real world experiences show that £30 from an empty tank will knock it WAY past the point at which the light comes on, i've got an LS400, i've done it.

If the OP was running on fumes 10 litres of fuel would be enough to extinguish his low level light, it might come on again with in 5 miles or so but defo would not need anywhere near £30, and thats without doing the maths.

exactly, £30 is more than plenty. no maths needed

How do you know 10 litres is enough?

I cant believe so many people are trying to get this guy to spend money on a repair that may not be needed for the sake of another trip to the petrol pump. :yawn:

real world experiences show that £30 from an empty tank.

ok, I give up. Your real world experience wasn't an empty tank, £30 isn't a third of a tank, LS owner or not.

To the OP, please fill up first. I am more than happy to come out wrong once you've done that, but I don't like people throwing money away without exploring all avenues.

real world experiences show that £30 from an empty tank.

ok, I give up. Your real world experience wasn't an empty tank, £30 isn't a third of a tank, LS owner or not.

To the OP, please fill up first. I am more than happy to come out wrong once you've done that, but I don't like people throwing money away without exploring all avenues.

yes please give up, because real world experiences count, not theorys with maths. I've ran on fumes in the ls400 to the point the engine has actually misfired due to fuel starvation, I think if I remember correctly I then put £20 in, the fuel light went out... £30 will sort the light good and propper.

yes please give up, because real world experiences count, not theorys with maths. I've ran on fumes in the ls400 to the point the engine has actually misfired due to fuel starvation, I think if I remember correctly I then put £20 in, the fuel light went out... £30 will sort the light good and propper.

Jeeze, yeah "if I remember" and if petrol was as expensive then as it is now. Are you just making up new stories as you go along?? This story would've been infinitely more useful at the beginning of this thread than the fact £30 is not a third of a tank, and £110 is not a fumes to brim fill up.

Just fill up and see if the light goes off, how can it be so difficult :)

Have fun