Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I was driving the other day through a normal town two-way road, when a car passed me on the opposite direction (on its own lane, there was no danger situation) and in the mini display above the rev counter it displayed "BRAKE!!!" in big bold letters, and the car started beeping loudly for like 2 seconds. Is this some sort of safety feature? It seems a bit over-sensitive, although I have only experienced it once.

Don't have any personal experience of it but I think that was the pre-crash system thinking that you were in danger of hitting something - bizarre that it was set off by a car on the other side of the road!

I was driving the other day through a normal town two-way road, when a car passed me on the opposite direction (on its own lane, there was no danger situation) and in the mini display above the rev counter it displayed "BRAKE!!!" in big bold letters, and the car started beeping loudly for like 2 seconds. Is this some sort of safety feature? It seems a bit over-sensitive, although I have only experienced it once.

It's the pre-crash system, but you must have been on quite a tight bend? I find it also beeps and displays if you accelerate hard behind a vehicle that you are about to overtake on single lane roads. However, that's not so disconcerting as when a vehicle jumps into the gap (why does it always seem to be a Volvo!) the radar cruise control has left to the vehicle in front on a motorway. In a split second the seat belt pre-tensions and pulls you back into the seat as at the same time it brakes automatically. Fortunately I've only experienced that once too.

In a split second the seat belt pre-tensions and pulls you back into the seat as at the same time it brakes automatically. Fortunately I've only experienced that once too.

That doesn't sound great, is that in instances the gap is particularly tight or does it do that every time? If so seems like a bit of an overreaction!

Stupid Volvo driver jumped right in front of me. The cruise has three distance settings and It was set on the longest, so not surprised the system kicked in. Quite reassuring I suppose, but a bit unnerving when it happens without your input.

Stupid Volvo driver jumped right in front of me. The cruise has three distance settings and It was set on the longest, so not surprised the system kicked in. Quite reassuring I suppose, but a bit unnerving when it happens without your input.

Just noticed that you mentioned it's only happened once so it can't be happening everytime :)

Lol, at least it's only Volvos, I sometimes get the feeling my car is invisible with the number of morons that pull out in front of me usually doing a stupidly low speed (why don't people realise you accelerate before changing lanes rather than after you change lanes)

I thought it had something to do with the pre-crash system. I must have been closer to the oncoming car than I thought, but I can certainly remember it wasn't a dangerous situation.

I've also experienced the same situation in the motorway where a car just pulls into the gap, in my case the car beeped loudly like three times and the cruise control just switched off, but I didn't notice any automatic braking. It was kind of like the cruise control system panicked and gave up! I will have a read at the manual to see if it explains in more detail how the whole system works.

I thought it had something to do with the pre-crash system. I must have been closer to the oncoming car than I thought, but I can certainly remember it wasn't a dangerous situation.

I've also experienced the same situation in the motorway where a car just pulls into the gap, in my case the car beeped loudly like three times and the cruise control just switched off, but I didn't notice any automatic braking. It was kind of like the cruise control system panicked and gave up! I will have a read at the manual to see if it explains in more detail how the whole system works.

Well that's the direct opposite of what it's supposed to do! I haven't found an option to turn off the radar system but I recollect another owner on the forum saying it was possible, so perhaps yours is turned off and running on standard cruise?

Well that's the direct opposite of what it's supposed to do! I haven't found an option to turn off the radar system but I recollect another owner on the forum saying it was possible, so perhaps yours is turned off and running on standard cruise?

It was definitely running using the radar system and adaptive cruise control, the only difference is that when it detected the car that just pulled in front me it just switched off and left it up to me to apply the brakes!

There is a way to switch off the radar, you have to switch the cruise control on but don't set the speed, then push the cruise control lever into 'mode'. I think you have to hold it down for a few seconds then the word radar would disappear on the dash. I think thats how you switch off the radar.