Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Model Year Revisions

Hi All

Just wanted to confirm the revisions to the car and when the model year changes?

Model year changes for September production of the previous year?

MY2010 - Gains the HDD navigation, USB\iPod and LSD?

MY2011 - Suspension revisions etc

I've got a IS-F on my list of cars to consider for my next fun car and i'm also looking at the usual suspects of M3, RS4 and C63 AMG...

Thats correct. The 2011 has some exterior and interior styling changes as well, such as Daylight running lights, and revised dashboard with the big rev counter and the SPORT button on the steering wheel rather than where your knee is! Apparently the 2011 model is supposed to be much more comfortable.

The 2010 model also adds ventilated seats, plus the blue metallic paint and white leather for the interior.

yeah i've not seen much in the way of a dashboard shot of the MY2011 car.. Is it a bit like the old Supra design with the single large rev counter and the smaller speedo.

I'm looking at a 370z at the weekend but it's going to have to be quite special to convince me that it's not worth getting a 2 year old IS-F instead..

I looked at the competition like you before buying (M3, RS4 and C63 AMG), but in terms of value for money nothing came close to the IS-F. The RS4 is a bit dated now, the C63 AMG would cost an arm and a leg to maintain, and I never quite liked the look of the M3 Saloon (coupe version looks great on the other hand). Reliability was also a big concern. The only downsides of the IS-F are the lack of manual box (even though the auto is excellent) and the pointless separator at the back to make it a four seater instead of five. The 370z was not in the list as it is not a saloon.

I love the new LFA style dash, makes it feel more special - and there's a digital speed readout in the rev counter I believe so there's 2 ways to check your speed :)

I looked at the competition like you before buying (M3, RS4 and C63 AMG), but in terms of value for money nothing came close to the IS-F. The RS4 is a bit dated now, the C63 AMG would cost an arm and a leg to maintain, and I never quite liked the look of the M3 Saloon (coupe version looks great on the other hand). Reliability was also a big concern. The only downsides of the IS-F are the lack of manual box (even though the auto is excellent) and the pointless separator at the back to make it a four seater instead of five. The 370z was not in the list as it is not a saloon.

It's not a "pointless separator" , it's just a filler between the rear seat squabs as a central seat isn't possible due to size of the limited slip differential.

i wonder what the suspension revisions are like, has anybody driven an early model and the new 2011 model to make a comparison?

Yeah i'd like to hear some feedback from someone who's driven a MY2011 car, do the suspension changes make a big difference?

I'm used to an M3 CS so I can cope with a firm ride so I think the MY2010 is what i'll be aiming for..

• 1 month later...

2010 ISF doesn't have ventilated seats, only heated. Seat clearance was too small to allow the cooling fans to be fitted. The 2011 suspension changes have (IMHO) made little or no noticeable difference, not that I thought the ride quality was that bad to start with. I thought the new instrument arrangement was a definite step backwards, and even with the small LED speedo in the rev counter, it is not so easy to keep track of your speed. Personally, I don't think the 2011 car is any more comfortable than the 2010 model, although mounting the Sport Mode selector on the wheel was sensible, and I can't understand what Japanese dipstick decided to put it at knee level in the first place. The most important change to the car so far has been the torsen LSD fitted from 2010, although the uprated "casual language" sat nav is also a big improvement.

i wonder what the suspension revisions are like, has anybody driven an early model and the new 2011 model to make a comparison?

In the ISF development program, Lexus found that a LSD produced results which were slightly different but not measurably better than the "electronic" differential eventually fitted. Despite this, they have now responded to consumer expectation that the more "hardcore" LSD ought be fitted to this type of car.

At the same time, they have also responded to the criticism that the ride is harsher than necessary when used for general road use, and to the universal recognition that the sports etc buttons were in a really stupid place by the knees. This, together with cosmetic changes means they were able to make a model upgrade with a hefty price-rise.

Perhaps if driven competitively and when pulling off on loose surfaces, the ISF is going to feel better with a LSD. With only a brief test drive, I noticed no difference at all in the suspension etc. but conditions were far from challenging. The new dash is a just matter of style & taste and is no big deal - although my choice would have been for the speedo to be bigger than the rev counter - particularly since the car prevents you from being able to over-rev it - or to be in a gear which is grossly wrong when driven in manual mode.

Overall, if cost was no issue; would I chop my 2008 ISF in for a 2011 model? No. Also, if the first version had been like the 2011 model, "upgrades" could just as reasonably have turned it into the 2008 version!

I can't see in normal driving how the LSD would make much of a difference, as surely the traction/stability control would cut in before the LSD has a chance to work its magic.

I've only driven a 2010 car but thought the ride was fine, if the 2011 is even better that's obviously no bad thing but you'd have to try it for yourself to see whether it makes a difference worthy of the price hike you'll have to pay for the newer car.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting comments, thanks for the detailed reports. I do agree though the dash board is a step backwards. i wouldn't change my 2008 ISF to the 2011 version just for a relocation of the sport button and slightly better suspension with LSD, can't justify the price difference.

I test drove one for the first time yesterday and it's just superb!

Cruising at 50mph with the RPM just above tick over on a normal car, now that was B)

And the roar of the V8 when you put the pedal to the metal is very addictive.

One thing though, why doesn't it have air cooled aswell as heated seats?! :yawn:

the cooled seats was also a thing i was confused with, all other models have it, don't understand why this hasn't. Would have made the car just that little bit more prestigious, but i'm not to concerned about it.

That V8 is something isn't it!

Had a go in a 2011 IS-F at the open road event last week and I can't say I noticed a huge difference in the ride and handling but probably wasn't enough of a test drive to really figure that out.

Agree, the engine sound is so addictive!

• 2 weeks later...

Test drove my current Hoshi-equipped Auto-Sel against the latest ISF &, in normal driving,the ride was the same & superior to the M3.The new dash layout & trim, including DAB Audio compliments, the extensive changes to suspension,steering & braking that deliver benefits to the limit of performance but enhance the feel in every day driving----a true Super Saloon that trounces the opposition.

Tel

• 2 months later...

Thats proper. The 2011 has many out and national styling changes as healed, specified as Daylight spouting lights, and revised dashboard with the big rev counter and the Recreation switch on the guidance helm rather than where your knee is! Seemingly the 2011 assistant is questionable to be more many comfortable.The 2010 sit also adds louvered room, quality the profane bimetal coating and pedagogue leather for the internal.

Rolls Royce Power Steering Gear Box