Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diy Method Of Checking Ecu Codes?

I've had a look through the searches but can not find a way I can read the ECU codes without some sort of OBD tool.

Is there a way this is possible or do I need to take it to a garage that has the facility?

The engine management light came on the other night on my 1999 iS200, although the car drives and starts fine. I disconnected the Battery and drove it the 20 miles to work and all was OK - but half way home the light came on again - with no change to the way it drives.

I have an old MR2 that will flash the dashboard lights to show stored ECU codes - is there not a similar system on the Lexus??

Also any ideas what it could be? Car is getting on a bit now at 160,000 miles so I guess there are lots of possibilits.

Cheers,

TM

Any recommendations on where to get one from??

I'm assuming the car's connector is under the steering wheel somewhere?

Also is there a list on here as to what problems the fault code would relate to?

Cheers,

TM

Try here or just Google OBD2 readers ! Hellfrauds sell them but at Hellfrauds usual daft mark up price - buy one off the world wide wonder web.... far cheaper and better spec.

The Ed

Thanks for the above.

there's been a bit of a development in this issue. I was driving my wifes 200SLK on the weekend and the engine management light came on.

Now two cars in a week seems a bit odd. I'd done about 20miles since filling up the merc at an Asda's petrol station (normal unleaded). i thought back to what I'd done with the Lexus and remembered - exactly the same! Engine light on within 20 miles of an asda fill up.

Now two different garages were used (but both within Cardiff) so it's not conclusive but has anyone heard anything like this in the past?

I've put Tesco's 99 in this morning so will do about 50 miles before pulling the batery to see if it resets and cures the error. I'll let you know.

The other possibility is that I really am that unlucky to see two wanring lights on two different cars in a week!

TM

Thanks for the above.

there's been a bit of a development in this issue. I was driving my wifes 200SLK on the weekend and the engine management light came on.

Now two cars in a week seems a bit odd. I'd done about 20miles since filling up the merc at an Asda's petrol station (normal unleaded). i thought back to what I'd done with the Lexus and remembered - exactly the same! Engine light on within 20 miles of an asda fill up.

Now two different garages were used (but both within Cardiff) so it's not conclusive but has anyone heard anything like this in the past?

I've put Tesco's 99 in this morning so will do about 50 miles before pulling the batery to see if it resets and cures the error. I'll let you know.

The other possibility is that I really am that unlucky to see two wanring lights on two different cars in a week!

TM

Anyone else in the area that you know of that may have filled up at these stations? Be worth asking around in case they've had a similar issue.

• 2 months later...

Nothing to report on this other than both cars still have the lights on and continue to drive fine.

I think the Merc needs the light reset as it comes on even after the Battery has been disconnected for 48 hours. The Lexus light will go off but come back on within 30mins of driving.

Where would I find the OBDII connector on the Lexus iS200 ?

Is it in the engine compartment or in the cabin somewhere?

I agree with the petrol. The same thing happened a while back with some supermarkets and contaminated fuel. Alot of o2 sensors needed to be replaced.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/6405973.stm

I personally never by fuel from supermarkets.

just a view, did a code read on a VW after fueling 2 days prior - code was for oxy sensor due to change fuel quality

I think all things point to the fuel - but some people reckon that supermarket fuel is a better bet to buy because it gets replaced so regularly i.e. not sitting in the tank for long periods......

Any idea where I need to be looking for the OBD connector??

I hae a chance of getting the codes read to see the fault but not sure where the required plug is.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

just reading this,as i have a obd tool,does the lexus have a free download for the diagnostic software anywhere?

as i had it for my ford tdi galaxy(auy engine vw)you could down load the free software from the ross tech site.

was thinking of selling the interface but if i can obtain the software from anywhere might be worth keeping hold of it.

plus if i can get it to work it may benefit other members of this forum?

also as others have asked where is the diagnostic socket located?

cheers gregers

• 1 year later...

The obd connector is under lower edge of dashboard drivers side, next to bonnet pull.

list of codes here........http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=tutorials&article=93

I used one of these to read codes and does loads of other things as well. Can be left mounted in car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TurboGauge-IV-OBD2-4-in-1-Car-Auto-Trip-Computer-Digital-Gauge-Scan-Tool-Reader-/180959129921?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a22013141

I use torque pro on an android phone or tablet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Haven't had a fault on the Lexus yet but the real time info works fine, and I've had success getting fault codes on my golf and a mates Clio in the past.

Only a couple of quid for the app and 20 quid for a Bluetooth obd2 transmitter from eBay. Only downer on the IS is that the port is right over the accelerator so not easy to drive with it plugged in.

Ians gizmo above looks to have a smaller connector so that will be better to drive with. I wonder if you can get obd2 extension cables...