Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Some Advice Asap!

Afternoon all,

Ok so i got a bit of a problem and im just looking for some advice.

Im currently breaking a 99 is200 sport and just a few days ago bought another one cheap enough but it came with a few problem so i decided to simply use parts i may need from the one im breaking.

One of the problems is the key, basically the chip is destroyed and the barrel in the drivers door was broke so i simply changed the door over but now i need to use one key to open it and the other to start it, so im thinking of changing the barrel in the ignition.

Now ive done some reading up and big thanks to 'Rob' for the thread i found http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=7960 on changing the barrel, but the question i have is will the alarm, central locking etc work with the new igniton barrel and key?

Ive heard i may need to also change the ecu to do this?

And is the car secure if the alarm isnt on but the security light on the dash is flashing?

I know it all may seem a bit odd of a post and trust me im not a car thief :o

Its just there will alot of work going into this car over the next few months and im worried that it might go missing on me if its not secure.

Big cheers in advance!

The security light shows that the engine immobiliser is on, not the alarm. If you are locking the car with the key and not the remote, the alarm will be off.

Can't help with regard to swapping the barrel unfortunately, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you soon.

cool, cheers mate, so its immobilized once the light is on, that happens anyway when you remove the key so thats great news!

Im just hoping with the new key/remote and the new barrel i will be able to activate the alarm without changing the ecu also.... :crybaby:

cool, cheers mate, so its immobilized once the light is on, that happens anyway when you remove the key so thats great news!

Im just hoping with the new key/remote and the new barrel i will be able to activate the alarm without changing the ecu also.... :crybaby:

The barrel is just that :) if you change it you will need to put the electronics from the key that starts the car into the key that now opens the door ;) then you should be ok, but to keep it all sweet you might as well change all the locks to match ;)

Andy

Looking at the thread you linked to I don't think there will be an issue with swapping the barrel, the only issue will be with programming the keys.

Do you have a working master key for both cars? When you say the chip is destroyed, does the key not work any more? If so you should be able to use the old key to program the new one and then it should all work fine.

Actually ACLex makes a good point, you won't even need to program the key if you can just swap the electronics over (assuming it's not broken)

Cheers for the replies people!

Ok so quick update and then il answer you all,

So i changed the igniton cylinder over from the old car to the new one and obviously the car wouldnt start, changed it back and it all works fine so like you guys have been saying i presume its the code in the key that is preventing it from starting.

The key and cylinder are perfect from he doner car but are messed up in the new one,the key gets caught in the barrel and the actual electronic chip thingy inside the key just doesnt work as in it wont set the alarm or central locking but if the car still recognizes it im presuming its not totally screwed?

@ACLex, cheers mate, il try that out in the morning and see if it works!

@Parthiban, only got the one key for both cars, im presuming they are the masters though.Im hoping they dont have to be programmed, money is tight at the mo and lexus Ireland arent exactly cheap :shutit:

@Parthiban, only got the one key for both cars, im presuming they are the masters though.Im hoping they dont have to be programmed, money is tight at the mo and lexus Ireland arent exactly cheap :shutit:

If you have working keys you can program them yourself, there's a guide on here somewhere on how to do it.

Have you tried changing the Battery in the old key? It can start the engine so the chip in it is still programmed as far as deactivating the immobiliser.......

Ok sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy with other stuff on the car so only got back at this today,

@Parthiban, cant find that thread anywhere about re-programming the keys, any chance you could link it?

I decided today to change over the chip from the original cylinder key (the screwed one)to the new key and then tried again with the new cylinder/key with the old chip and guess what.........

..it still doesnt work :crying:

Car is immobilized again, so i changed it all back to normal (orginal barrel, key, chip) and its staying immobilized??

This is seriously beginning to bug me, ive pulled out the cables to the ecu in hope to reset it, just waiting a ew mins now to see if anything changes!

Looks like it may have to be an ecu changeover me thinks?