Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whistling Noise.... Wheel Bearing?

Hi all, I've noticed that my IS300 is making a whistling noise whilst driving but not 100% of the time. It is quiet up to around 30-40mph but then a whistling sound starts. It seems to stay then but is harder to hear with wind noise etc... As soon as you slow back down to less than 20-30mph or so it stops again.

To try and rule out the engine or gear box i put the car in manual mode and went from 5th to 4th to 3rd so that the revs changed / raised as the speed slowed slightly and the whistle didn't change etc... apart from it slowly going away as the car slowed down so this would seem to rule out the engine or gear box etc... Could it be a wheel bearing or would that make a whistle noise all the time at all speeds or can it cause symptoms like i have over a certain speed. Only other thing i can think is a brake caliper sticking??

Any help would be much appreciated before i book the car in for it's service in the next couple of weeks so i could mention possible causes to the garage when i book it in rather than just "it's making a whistling noise" etc..

Cheers

Dave.

Well.... I'm in work today with a chap who is a lotter more mechanically minded than myself so we have been out for a run in the car so he can hear the noise for himself. He agrees it's not a bearing issue as it's defo a whistling noise rather than a rumble / bearing sound.

He thinks it may be one of the rear brake pads resonating in the caliper and causing the noise.... Or another issue with the rear brakes. He's suggested i check how warm both the rear brake discs feel when i get home tonight to see if one is warmer than the other etc....

Cheers

Dave.

Had new wheels put on my 300 and since then i have a whine at around 50mph from front offside area, when it went for mot they said there is play on the lower tracking arm inner bush. I have not had a chance to replace this and see if whine gos but wonder if they did something to strees this bush whilst changing the wheels.

Regards

Russell.

Had new wheels put on my 300 and since then i have a whine at around 50mph from front offside area, when it went for mot they said there is play on the lower tracking arm inner bush. I have not had a chance to replace this and see if whine gos but wonder if they did something to strees this bush whilst changing the wheels.

Regards

Russell.

if you can locate the noise to one wheel, eg. front driverside etc, take the wheel off and try giving the backplate a visual inspection against the disk, it may have taken a knock over the winter and might be bent ever so slightly like mine was, i noticed this and bent it back out away from the disk, no more whistling noise,

hope this helps