Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is This Chap Smoking?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1993-LEXUS-LS400-GOLD-/120727005192?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c1be3e808

Best quote... "These cars not not bad on fuel compared to BMW's or Mercs, on a run I get 36 mpg because the Lexus has an engine management system which cuts the engine down from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders when cruising. You can have one of the worlds best luxury cars, £42,000 when new for under £2,000!"

Regards

Iain

Mine also has an engine management system, which reduces fuel consumption to zero. It's called an ignition key. Turn it all the way over to the left and the car also becomes even quieter, though the brakes don't work very well.

Being me i have just sent the seller a question asking if he knows why my LS400 doesn't run on 4 barrels when cruising and can therefore only manage 24MPG,I asked if my ECU could be faulty!

Take your foot off the gas when you're going downhill and the 'current MPG' shoots up to the maximum on the display (99.9mpg), but it doesn't last long. Perhaps this chap only travels downhill. Or perhaps he never goes above 40mph on the motorway.

Being me i have just sent the seller a question asking if he knows why my LS400 doesn't run on 4 barrels when cruising and can therefore only manage 24MPG,I asked if my ECU could be faulty!

I just sent the seller some correct info (only to protect them from negative feedback of course!)

Just read the question and answer thingy at the bottom of the listing. I'm still chortling away!! (On all 8 cylinders!!)

36MPG? Does it have a sticker saying that its "Powered by fairy dust?"

Brian :)

Lol, only made funnier by the fact that Mercedes are the ones who brought cylinder shut down back in the modern era.

Cadillac produced (in the late 70's) an 8 cylinder Sedan de Ville which run in 4/6/8 cylinder mode depending on the power requirements. This was clearly not a success (problems with the car? or simply no demand?, I do not know)since this option was soon discontinued. I suspect that it was just too problematic and I am delighted that the LS400 engine is not messed up by such an arrangement.

Well at least he has removed the 8 to 4 cylinder statement from his advert which is lucky for him as someone could have put in a claim against him with paypal when they found out it wasn't true.

Well at least he has removed the 8 to 4 cylinder statement from his advert which is lucky for him as someone could have put in a claim against him with paypal when they found out it wasn't true.

Be fair guys he does admit he's had a few tonight, lets just hope thats not when he thinks the car is running only on 4 cylinders.

Mike

Cadillac produced (in the late 70's) an 8 cylinder Sedan de Ville which run in 4/6/8 cylinder mode depending on the power requirements. This was clearly not a success (problems with the car? or simply no demand?, I do not know)since this option was soon discontinued. I suspect that it was just too problematic and I am delighted that the LS400 engine is not messed up by such an arrangement.

Absolutely right, I think Cadillac were the first to come up with the idea. I think Mercedes have had reasonable success with the system though so not sure why Lexus haven't thought about using it, especially in the LS600h which would help it have even more impressive fuel figures.

General Motors have reintroduced the 'displacement on demand' or 'active fuel management' as they call it now since about 2002 on the LS V8 engines. It sounds like an almightly clever idea but they only see 5%-7% real world efficiency improvement. Makes you wonder why they bother!

Edit: By 'LS engines' I mean the LS1, LS3, LS6 etc that are used in the Corvettes etc, not the LS400 engine.

General Motors have reintroduced the 'displacement on demand' or 'active fuel management' as they call it now since about 2002 on the LS V8 engines. It sounds like an alimightly clever idea but they only see 5%-7% real world efficiency improvement. Makes you wonder why they bother!

Edit: By 'LS engines' I mean the LS1, LS3, LS6 etc that are used in the Corvettes etc, not the LS400 engine.

I know VAG in the guise of Bentley are doing this now with the redesign of the 6.75l V8. I believe the system uses solenoids in the cam followers to keep valves on un-used cylinders shut. The idea in GCSE world of zero loss is what energy is used compressing the gas in the cylinder is recovered on the down stroke, obviously in the real world you get some losses but obviously their engineers consider these losses sufficiently small for the idea to be practicable. I think there was an article on it in Motorsport a few months back which is where I would have got the details from and there's reference to it here http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/drives/2011-bentley-mulsanne-test-drive.

Regards

Iain