Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I've just orderd a pair of headlight bulbs for my MKIV. I've just been out to check the oil and thought I'd have a quick look at how much room there is behind the headlights, not alot :)

It looks to me that on one side, the Battery needs to come out and on the other, the air filter. Or is it just easier to drop the headlights out?

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

It's easiest to take the headlamps out, but not immediately obvious how to do it . Take the indicator out - 1 x phillips screw on the top of the outer edge of the headlamp, and then lever gently upwards and forwards until the plastic retaining clip is released from the side of the headlamp housing. This will reveal a 10mm stud and nut holding the side of the headlamp housing. 2 x 10mm bolts at the inner edge of the headlamp will leave it free to come out with a bit of a wiggle. Be aware that it is a tight fit in the bodywork - don't use excessive force as the headlamp mountings are plastic and will break if you force them. The housing will only come out and go back in one way - a bit like a chinese puzzle. Whatever you do, use finesse rather than brute force.

It took me about 45 minutes to work out how to do it the first time, but headlamp removal is about a 2 minute job (literally) once you have got the first one under your belt. Don't forget that the dipped headlights are HID, and very high voltages are generated from the HID units mounted on the back of the headlamp housing when switched on.

Hope this has been useful to you.

Regards to all

Alan

I chose to remove the air intake things and to just push the Battery aside when i had to change sidelight bulbs.

I did try removing the headlights , but they didnt want to budge and saw how thin the plastic bits were so thought better of it.

<10 mins to remove the air pipes/filter , but access is not anywhere near as good as if you remove the whole light.

I am fairly sure mine were stuck down with that green mould you get on the rubber/foam sealing stuff , and couldn't be arsed spending all weekend cleaning it.

Hi Mike,

I recently changed the sidelight bulbs on my MK IV. I had to take the headlights out to do it. The job sounds much more complicated than it really is, all the bolts and screws that you have to undo are easy to get to. My tip is, be careful not to overtighten them when you put them back in.

I had the lights out, bulbs changed and lights back in within about 20 minutes.

Good luck.

Steve.

Thanks guys.

I have fitted the new bulbs via the hedlamp out route and it was really easy.

I fitted some 10000k jobs from eBay and they are......well, really blue....Not sure if they'll be legal, they are that blue.

We will see.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks guys.

I have fitted the new bulbs via the hedlamp out route and it was really easy.

I fitted some 10000k jobs from Ebay and they are......well, really blue....Not sure if they'll be legal, they are that blue.

We will see.

Thanks

Mike

6800K is the best option for HID. Crisp brite white light and perfectly legal in an lamp enclosure designed for HID bulbs.